Best Cheap but good Drone

Cactu

i want something like the dji phantom 3, gimbaling camera, 1080p images, live feed to a screen on the controller is there anything cheaper that meets these specs

price range?

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Just now, Maybach123 said:

price range?

as cheap as you can get it while keeping good quality, if you need a number prob $550

Believe it or not, but you can get the Phantom 3 for under $550

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1175626-REG/dji_cp_pt_000168_phantom_3_standard_with.html

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, ALwin said:

Believe it or not, but you can get the Phantom 3 for under $550

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1175626-REG/dji_cp_pt_000168_phantom_3_standard_with.html

i know, but i would like more batteries and those are $150 a pop so i would prefer something cheaper

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

5 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

as cheap as you can get it while keeping good quality, if you need a number prob $550

the phantom 3 regular is probably the best your going to get in that price range its currently at 499 with a sale. now the only downsides to the regular is it does not have as many features as the advance or professional but its 400 dollars cheaper than the advance i would say thats the best your going to get in that price range. but do a bit more reaserch make sure the standard is the one you want read some reviews and watch some videos about it before you buy it just so you know what your getting your self into.

http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-standard

personally i would not recommend anything else atm accept dji just because i have had a parrot drone fly away and a walkeria fly away on there own 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Some of these are NOT toys, so if you want quality then you need to pay for it.

On February 8, 2016 at 4:16 PM, Maybach123 said:

the phantom 3 regular is probably the best your going to get in that price range its currently at 499 with a sale. now the only downsides to the regular is it does not have as many features as the advance or professional but its 400 dollars cheaper than the advance i would say thats the best your going to get in that price range. but do a bit more reaserch make sure the standard is the one you want read some reviews and watch some videos about it before you buy it just so you know what your getting your self into.

http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-standard

On February 8, 2016 at 4:16 PM, ALwin said:

well if the phantom is my only option, do either of you know where i can get cheap batteries for it/ a mobile solar charger

On February 8, 2016 at 4:19 PM, ALwin said:

Some of these are NOT toys, so if you want quality then you need to pay for it.

im aware, im just trying to find the best deal

The batteries are currently proprietary, I don't think even eBay has cheap Chinese knockoffs, but look there anyway.

You also need to make sure they are compatible with the drone model you have.

1 minute ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

well if the phantom is my only option, do either of you know where i can get cheap batteries for it/ a mobile solar charger

you dont cheap out on batteries. you should really only buy dji batteries for the phantom 3 the others were a bit different where you could mix and match batteries but the new one uses a proprietary battery technology. as @ALwin you get what you pay for cheap batteries are unreliable. flying drones is an expensive hobby there is really no way around paying quite a bit of money.

2 minutes ago, ALwin said:

The batteries are currently proprietary, I don't think even eBay has cheap Chinese knockoffs, but look there anyway.

You also need to make sure they are compatible with the drone model you have.

then this begs the reaccuring question to me, should i just build a tricopter. im confident that i could

its better you fork up some cash now rather than having to pay for a damage drone later because you use the wrong batteries which will void dji warranty 

You can opt for a cheaper drone with a lower quality camera, which might have lower cost batteries also.  But so far, in my opinion at least (though I am staying away from drones*), DJI is one of your better options and the investment might be well worth the cost.

*The reason I am staying away from drones is because the type I require is very expensive and to operate it I would require a license.  I would need at least an octocopter drone to carry my camera.

then this begs the reaccuring question to me, should i just build a tricopter. im confident that i could

tricopters are usually used for racing dji copters are used for Ariel photography these are two very different things. also tricopters are quite unstable and hard to fly for a novice. also you may be able to build and wire it but can you program it? and just like building a computer for the first time it takes a lot of research 

2 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

its better you fork up some cash now rather than having to pay for a damage drone later because you use the wrong batteries which will void dji warranty 

i wasnt looking for a cheaper battery in terms of quality. i meant in price, if there is nothing thats fine

DJI claims a flight time of about 25 minutes per battery on the Phantom 3 Standard. Buy 1-2 spare batteries and it should give you enough time to get some nice aerial footage.

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

You can opt for a cheaper drone with a lower quality camera, which might have lower cost batteries also.  But so far, in my opinion at least (though I am staying away from drones*), DJI is one of your better options and the investment might be well worth the cost.

*The reason I am staying away from drones is because the type I require is very expensive and to operate it I would require a license.  I would need at least an octocopter drone to carry my camera.

i am getting a spreading wings soon to hold my dslr camera and i will be adding light bridge to get that live view  i am quite excited 

1 minute ago, Maybach123 said:

tricopters are usually used for racing dji copters are used for Ariel photography these are two very different things. also tricopters are quite unstable and hard to fly for a novice. also you may be able to build and wire it but can you program it? and just like building a computer for the first time it takes a lot of research 

i can do the research, then ill build a quad, what would i need to program? and which is cheaper.

DJI claims a flight time of about 25 minutes per battery on the Phantom 3 Standard. Buy 1-2 spare batteries and it should give you enough time to get some nice aerial footage.

thats better then i thought, i thought it was 15 minutes, what does charge time look like?

2 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

i am getting a spreading wings soon to hold my dslr camera and i will be adding light bridge to get that live view  i am quite excited 

I need one with a nice gimbal to lift my FS7+lens (about ~8kg lift capacity), else a drone that I can mount my DJI Ronin gimbal (about ~10-12kg).  So if I get a drone for this, it will be expensive and very big.  Additionally, I live in a country that has some very strong regulations regarding drones.

thats better then i thought, i thought it was 15 minutes, what does charge time look like?

a few hours i have an advance takes a couple hours to charge its not that bad

3 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

I don't know the charge time.  You could check online.

I need one with a nice gimbal to lift my FS7+lens (about ~8kg lift capacity), else a drone that I can mount my DJI Ronin gimbal (about ~10-12kg).  So if I get a drone for this, it will be expensive and very big.  Additionally, I live in a country that has some very strong regulations regarding drones.

ya the usa is like the wild west of drones. right now i am doing some real estate photos on the side to help fund it. even though its not technically legal to do so yet 

1 minute ago, Maybach123 said:

ya the usa is like the wild west of drones. right now i am doing some real estate photos on the side to help fund it. even though its not technically legal to do so yet 

Yeah I know, but I live in Europe.  While I am intrigued by the idea of aerial photo/video I think I still prefer to have the camera in my hand.  If I want to do some high angle shots, I'll find a tall building, or a hire one of those lift machines, use a ladder, or dangle from a helicopter door like some of my buddies.

With a drone I am concerned that some accident might occur in mid air and it would be the end to my cameras.