Motherboard without onboard WIFI

Matias_Chambers

So what do you do if you build a PC and your motherboard doesn't have onboard WIFI? Buy a wireless network card? Wireless USB? What's the best option besides ethernet? 

I can recommend the TP-Link Archer T8E / T9E (PCIe cards).

But if the link speed does not have to be super fast you can also get something like the Asus USB-N14.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Ethernet is your best option for speed, but PCI Wifi cards are good too

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

I use a cheapo usb wifi dongle I found at my local ShitBuy :P It's actually not too bad.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

You can also get USB wifi dongles for cheap. (Like $10-20 on Amazon), though it will have pretty limited speeds compared to a PCIe card. However, unless you have Gigabit/fiber or something, it should be enough.

10 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

So what do you do if you build a PC and your motherboard doesn't have onboard WIFI? Buy a wireless network card? Wireless USB? What's the best option besides ethernet? 

PCIe cards are the best option, USB tend to underperform and you need the USB controller before you have a connection, which can be very annoying when troubleshooting, and network cards are pretty cheap.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I actually have this netgear usb wireless stick and it runs at speeds upwards of 800mb/s

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

If you have to use WiFi, then a PCI express AC1900 WiFi adapter is your best bet.

The PCI express bus has less CPU overhead than USB 3.0, and there is no need for the adapter to reboot its self when switching between 2.4GHz and 5GHz. (USB 3 signals at 2.4GHz, thus it will cause a large increase of the noise floor on the 2.4GHz band if used, thus they switch to USB 2 mode. You will notice this switch over on WiFi adapters such as the netgear A6210.

An an AC1200 WiFi adapter, the 2.4GHz band will top out at around 200mbit/s real world performance on the 2.4GHz band, and around 400mbit/s on the 5GHz band.

An AC1900 adapter will typically top out at around 250mbit/s on the 2.4GHz band, and around 700mbit/s on the 5GHz band  under ideal conditions (within 6-10 feet of the router).