What graphics cards are good for dual monitor? And how do I do it?

LeechHax

Hey guys, I was just wondering what kind of graphics card I should buy to run a dual monitor setup.

But before I do, will a cable splitter work? Because I already have a "Y" shaped DVI-D cable, and I tried connecting it to two monitors, and the only thing that happened was it "duplicated" the image onto both screens. So everything I was doing on my main monitor was happening on my second one. But I want to have it where I can expand both monitors and be able to multi-task. Did I do something wrong? Or do cable splitters not work and I need a graphics card with 2 DVI ports?

Hey guys, I was just wondering what kind of graphics card I should buy to run a dual monitor setup.

But before I do, will a cable splitter work? Because I already have a "Y" shaped DVI-D cable, and I tried connecting it to two monitors, and the only thing that happened was it "duplicated" the image onto both screens. So everything I was doing on my main monitor was happening on my second one. But I want to have it where I can expand both monitors and be able to multi-task. Did I do something wrong? Or do cable splitters not work and I need a graphics card with 2 DVI ports?

Cable splitters will simply copy the outputs...

You will need a graphics card with multiple outputs that you can use, that supports using the ones you want to use simultaneously.

What's your budget and how many screens do you want to drive?

Sig under construction.

splitters split the image

what kind of inputs do the monitors have and what size?

and what will you be running?

You may have had the monitors on mirror instead of extend, I have no idea if that works or not.

Assuming 1080p not surround - basically any graphics card will work, you can do this onboard.

Assuming 1080p surround for gaming -  you will probably need at least a 380X for a decent experience, I would recommend a 390(X).

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master