EVGA G2 vs GS vs GQ

AranDanny

Hello, should I get a 750W G2, 850W GS, or 1000W GQ. All three of them cost the same price. I have an I7 4790K and a GTX 970.

I want to hear some opinions on this. Which line is better? Would I be better off getting a higher wattage? 

No issues other than cost with a higher wattage unit.

As for quality, G2 > GS > GQ. As for quality, G2 > GQ > GS.

All that aside, 550W is more than enough for a single 970 system.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

All are overkill. I would recommend a 650W or even 550W GS/G2/GQ. Out of all of them, the 850W GS or 1000W GQ because they will have the most room for upgrade-ability. All are great and of high quality.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

As already stated the G2 is the highest quality, the GS and GQ are very similar in terms of performance but the GS is modular which may be desired if the GQ has wires attached that you won't be using (I don't know which wires are non removable on it). Overall the G2 may be the best line of PSUs on the market, they are very highly rated, so that's the one that gets a higher recommendation.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

GS are seasonic and the best.

G2 are superflower and still really good.

GQ are the same OEM as the NEX and not good.

You would be fine with a 550GS though you don't need anything more.

The GQ is actually better quality than the Seasonic... http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=451

As for quality, G2 > GS > GQ.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Hello, should I get a 750W G2, 850W GS, or 1000W GQ. All three of them cost the same price. I have an I7 4790K and a GTX 970.

I want to hear some opinions on this. Which line is better? Would I be better off getting a higher wattage? 

Why not get a 550W instead? Even with 2 970s 550W will be enough.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

As far as I am concerned EVGAs naming scheme is just designed to confuse it's customers so we will go with the most expensive PSU just to play it safe.

It's not really all that confusing. Bronze units start with B, the B2 is the only one worth your time from there 99% of the time. The G units are all gold-rated and of high-quality, with the OEMs being the dicernment between the second number/letter (all units ending in "2" for all of their PSUs are made by Super Flower, all ending in "S" are Seasonic units, and the GQ is made by FSP who also make the rather sad-sack NEX-series).

yeah but if you are new to the PC community and you see all of EVGAs PSU naming scheme I could see someone going WHAAAAA?

Lol, true.

Also Amazon combumbles all the reviews together so you get shitty G1 units in the same section of reviews as the G2/GQ/GSs...

The GS is one of Seasonic worst gold rated platforms although that is like saying a Ferrari FF is slow. The G2 is top of the line and is recommended all of the itme due to it being top of the line. The GS is the "worst" with the GQ coming in second and the G2 coming out on top.

Are we reading the same article

attachicon.gifss#.PNG

At the time that it was new the GQ was a fair bit more expensive than the GS and the quality differences are nearly unnoticeable.  Now that they're the same price then the GQ is technically better (marginally). 

The GS is one of Seasonic worst gold rated platforms although that is like saying a Ferrari FF is slow. The G2 is top of the line and is recommended all of the itme due to it being top of the line. The GS is the "worst" with the GQ coming in second and the G2 coming out on top.

This here is the ranking on EVGAs website from best to worst...

post-196573-0-39883700-1452819850.png

As for quality, G2 > GS > GQ.

Actually, I beg to differ. GQ > GS 550/650 because the GQ series actually does better with its ripple. The GS 550/650 is easily Seasonic's worst 80+ Gold unit, because it simply can't hold a candle to their better offerings at competitors. More specifically XFX.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

It may be true that EVGA had placed the GS in a higher place than even the G2; however, reality may not always be the case. In an electrical standpoint:

650w models
G2: 12v: 0.6% | 15mVpp; 5v: 0.8% | 15mVpp; 3.3v: 0.6% | 15mVpp
GS: 12v: 2.1% | 50mVpp; 5v: 2.2% | 20mVpp; 3.3v: 3.3% | 20mVpp
GQ: 12v: 0.7% | 60mVpp; 5v: 0.8% | 30mVpp; 3.3v: 1.5% | 35mVpp

As you can see, in respect to load regulation and ripple suppression, the G2 performs better than both unit in both cases. The GQ offer more comparable v.reg to the G2 (a little higher on the 3.3v), but a little higher in ripple suppression than the GS on the minor rails.

The 550-650 GS is a new design (similar to the G series but still different) that Seasonic themselves had not show off yet under their own branding. This could mean that Seasonic isn't completely satisfy with the platform and is still fine-tuning the platform until the official release.

However, the 550-650w units are a completely different design from the higher wattage 850/1050 units as you can see here. It's a platform that is similar to the Seasonic KM3, in which I would say the design is more comparable to the Leadex build G2 - perhaps slightly better. That could explain why EVGA had ranked the 550/650GS to be higher than the GQ and even the G2.

Eh, mixing platforms within a series can be rather confusing. Not to mentioned, mixing two platforms of different performance metrics and quality.