Lenovo ruined the thinkpad

qwertywarrior

first they took the keyboard now this!!!!!!!!!

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/03/lenovo-thinkpad-t440s-t440-x240-s440-s540/

it seems they killed the T540

added a S540 which has a numpad!!!!!!

look what they did to the touchpad !!!!

and no more abs plastic just crappy aluminum

thank you for another disaster

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

What's wrong with the touchpad? A lot of people like num pads. Also crappy aluminium over plastic, WTF?!@

What's wrong with the touchpad? A lot of people like num pads. Also crappy aluminium over plastic, WTF?!@

ABS is more durable

numpad on a 15 inch laptop??

touchpad has no dedicated buttons

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

ABS is more durable

numpad on a 15 inch laptop??

touchpad has no dedicated buttons

Plastic is not more durable. That isn't the only 15" with a num pad my Sony Vaio has one. So the touch pad is like a Macbook's.... I think your just overly picky.

Plastic is not more durable. That isn't the only 15" with a num pad my Sony Vaio has one. So the touch pad is like a Macbook's.... I think your just overly picky.

there are hundreds kind of plastics dont bunch them all together

i didnt say it was the only have u used a 15 inch laptop with a numpad

the experience is horrible

I really don't care what plastic a salesman tries to tell me it is even if I see proof with my own eyes that it  can handle a beating. I would 100% of the time take a aluminium laptop over a plastic one.

I really don't care what plastic a salesman tries to tell me it is even if I see proof with my own eyes that it  can handle a beating. I would 100% of the time take a aluminium laptop over a plastic one.

then u never used ABS

then u never used ABS

I can't believe your arguing this. If plastic is better than aluminium why aren't boats and cars and tons of other shit made from plastic?

i didnt say it was the only have u used a 15 inch laptop with a numpad

the experience is horrible

Aluminum is more durable than ABS, lets not kid ourselves.

That said I prefer the ABS casing.  Aluminum is heavier and cold to the touch, altogether less comfortable to use.  Plastic is still durable; the military uses plastic.  If the durability of plastic vs aluminum is coming into play, you should just be more careful with how you treat your computer.  It's not a football.

Would rather see carbon fiber over either of them.  But too expensive.

first they took the keyboard now this!!!!!!!!!

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/03/lenovo-thinkpad-t440s-t440-x240-s440-s540/

it seems they killed the T540

added a S540 which has a numpad!!!!!!

look what they did to the touchpad !!!!

and no more abs plastic just crappy aluminum

thank you for another disaster

The chiclet keyboard is better than the old style Thinkpad keyboards (I've tried both, I have an X220, father used to have a T61 and now has a T430).

The old trackpads were SHIT and needed to be brought into the 21st century.

Keeping the nipple mouse is good.

The laptops themselves need to be lighter and thinner to make them more portable, the build quality will still be the same. How can you know it's worse? My aluminium MBP had less problems (had it for 4.5 years) with build quality than my X220 (had it for 9 months) by the way.

Get over it and buy an old thinkpad if you really love them so much. Numpads are good too, what's wrong?

I'd love a T440s.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I can't believe your arguing this. If plastic is better than aluminium why aren't boats and cars and tons of other shit made from plastic?

boats normally use fiber glass

google its uses ull find a lot more info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene

The chiclet keyboard is better than the old style Thinkpad keyboards (I've tried both I have an X220, father used to have a T61 and now has a T430).

The laptops themselves need to be lighter and thinner to make them more portable, the build quality will still be the same. How can you know it's worse? My aluminium MBP had less problems with build quality than my X220.

Get over it and buy an old thinkpad if you really love them so much. Numpads are good too, what's wrong?

I'd love a T440s.

num pad on a 15 inch my hands will be basically touching each other when i type id understand it on a 17 inch but 15?

The chiclet keyboard is better than the old style Thinkpad keyboards (I've tried both I have an X220, father used to have a T61 and now has a T430).

The laptops themselves need to be lighter and thinner to make them more portable, the build quality will still be the same. How can you know it's worse? My aluminium MBP had less problems (had it for 4.5 years) with build quality than my X220 (had it for 9 months).

I'd love a T440s.

I like the chiclet keyboard too, coming from a T61.  I don't mind that but they changed the layout too which bothers me a lot.

num pad on a 15 inch my hands will be basically touching each other when i type id understand it on a 17 inch but 15?

The primary keyboard area is still the same size, its just a little to the left.

I like the chiclet keyboard too, coming from a T61.  I don't mind that but they changed the layout too which bothers me a lot.

You'll get used to it, I think the change in layout is worth it for the better feel.

I have 2 aluminium boats in my yard right now. Fiberglass isn't strong enough for normal use. Fiberglass is used in boats meant for 70+ Mph like race boats and bass boats.

I... don't think you know anything about boats. This argument is pointless anyway.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I have 2 aluminium boats in my yard right now. Fiberglass isn't strong enough for normal use. Fiberglass is used in boats meant for 70+ Mph like race boats and bass boats.

i said most

never see an aluminum speed boat ive seen carbon fiber though

@Lyons , He said boats are made of fiberglass while that is true they're also made of aluminium. I have 2 fishing boats made of aluminium in my yard. They are made in aluminium because fiberglass can't handle beaching without being all torn up. Where I live (which has some of the biggest an best fresh water fishing derby's in the world) the only fiberglass boats you see are ones that cost 100k+ or are bass boats used in competitions because they're lighter so the competitors can get where they're going faster.

I'm currently using an old model of thinkpad t series, the T400. And I must say I was in total surprised when I found the latest thinkpad would have no express card slot and optical drive.  It looks to me that they want to make it trendier and more appealing with the outlook design, and compete with others like the macbook pro. And I love those physical buttons on the touchpad too. The overall design of the new thinkpad is a disappointment to me. 

@Lyons , He said boats are made of fiberglass while that is true they're also made of aluminium. I have 2 fishing boats made of aluminium in my yard. They are made in aluminium because fiberglass can't handle beaching without being all torn up. Where I live (which has some of the biggest an best fresh water fishing derby's in the world) the only fiberglass boats you see are ones that cost 100k+ or are bass boats used in competitions because they're lighter so the competitors can get where they're going faster.

My father is a yacht designer and materials engineer and I've sailed and been around boats for the majority of my life, you don't need to tell me anything. The argument you're having is pointless and not related to computers.

Looks like it's the X230 for me. Having had a chance to use the trackpoint this weekend, the dedicated buttons make a huge difference.

e: The material debate.

Aluminum is ductile. It's a good material and used widely for many purposes, including aircraft. But, with all ductile materials, it dents easily.

Plastics don't dent. They've technically already "dented" - deformed past their elastic state. They essentially break or shatter on impact. The good news though, is that materials in their plastic state (yes, even aluminum has a "plastic deformation" state) are able to take a lot more impact before they break. Plastic comes in many forms too, so aluminum isn't always better.

"Fibre glass isn't strong enough for normal use" - That statement is true of someone who has no idea why people use Fibre glass. Fibre glass isn't technically plastic, it's a composite of glass fibres (actual threads of glass) and resin. They're made differently from regular plastics.

Aluminum is in a long process of being phased out - especially in Aerospace applications. The far better composite alternative (Boeing 787 and Airbus A350) are the replacements, where almost 90-95% of the materials used is composites along the lines of fibre glass.

That's not saying composites are perfect. They have their own Achilles heels. The largest one being difficulty detecting damage - impacts result in internal damage as opposed to external denting (aluminum).

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

need.. moar buttons... and lights....

Did they remove even the lights for power and hard drive?

I'm currently using an old model of thinkpad t series, the T400. And I must say I was in total surprised when I found the latest thinkpad would have no express card slot and optical drive.  It looks to me that they want to make it trendier and more appealing with the outlook design, and compete with others like the macbook pro. And I love those physical buttons on the touchpad too. The overall design of the new thinkpad is a disappointment to me. 

Yeah, probably kiss those extra slots goodbye for a long time.  At least with the IdeaPad Y510p gaming laptops they can fit a second graphics card in the ultrabay.  Looks like the designers won out this time (probably use the "cost savings by removing buttons and lights" argument too).

Looks like it's the X230 for me. Having had a chance to use the trackpoint this weekend, the dedicated buttons make a huge difference.

a quote by @ajsmsg78 in another thread "Whoever decided on Touchpads with no physical buttons needs to actually use the Touchpad themselves.  When you click you will move the mouse as you click, thereby missing when you intended to click on."  :lol: 

My Rigs (past and present)

I definitely prefer physical buttons for the touchpad, but other than that I don't see the issue. 15 inches is perfectly reasonable for including a numpad if they do the layout right (though I personally prefer to have the typing keyboard centered since manufacturers refuse to put touchpads anywhere other than centered on the typing portion). Aluminum is a good material, not much heavier and a little more sturdy than plastics. It's not a big change either way, though it does have different thermal properties which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Overall it doesn't seem like anything that big to call it "ruined".

I definitely prefer physical buttons for the touchpad, but other than that I don't see the issue.

That's the dealbreaker for most. Long term users of Lenovo are outraged by the removal of the button, and people who've used the buttonless trackpoint are not satisfied. Lenovo basically ignored all customer feedback and outrage, and simply did whatever they wanted.

Lenovo's PC and Mobile sales have increased despite other companies having decreased sales. Lenovo's top-selling laptops are all from the previous generation. None of the new releases this year (Thinkpad Helix, T431s, and other buttonless trackpoints) made the list of top-sellers.

Personally, I don't see the business community being too happy with the lack of dedicated trackpoint buttons. Business users tend to prefer function over form, whereas Lenovo seems to be doing the opposite to appease and attract the non-business market.

Drop hinge rant:

Lenovo chose the drop hinge to allow the screen to lay flat on the table; the reasoning they give doesn't make much sense. http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/article/525149/research_development_behind_lenovo_t440s_ultrabook/

Touch navigation for Windows 8 doesn't require the screen to be flat. Touch input using a digitizer does require a flat surface, but having a 180 degree hinge makes it awkward. The X230t and Thinkpad Helix/Twist does it right - it's far less awkward to have a swivel hinge for writing on the screen. Even with swivel hinges, I've seen people writing on the screen in the normal laptop position - again, awkward. Personal experience from having used a convertible tablet for many years, having it flip/swivel and lay down on the keyboard is infinitely better for notetaking/writing on the screen.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

You'll get used to it, I think the change in layout is worth it for the better feel.

Ehh, it's not like they're mutually exclusive.  And it's not annoying because it's different, and I just need to adapt to it; the old keyboard was great because it resembled the standard desktop layout closely, with the insert/delete/home/end/pgup/pgdn block in the upper right.  Now they have ditched that similarity, which is annoying.

• 1 year later...

Yep they have been changing the ThinkPad a bit to much..... Thats why I still have a ThinkPad T420.....