Computer freezes randomly

justintech16

Hello. My computer has been freezing lately. A really bad "freeze". My entire computer won't respond to anything, so I have to hard reset it. Whatever is on screen stops or "freezes" sometimes accompanied by a fast weird beeping noise coming from my computer speakers. Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing at all. My computer just stops. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the crashes. It crashed in Skyrim a few times. It crashed 5 seconds into the Unigine Heaven bencmark. It crashed while I was on  Youtube and Facebook. 

Here are my specs:

Intel dx48bt2 motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad q9550 stock

8gb ram

xfx radeon 6950 1gb

Mushkin Chronos 120gb SSD

WD Velociraptor 140gb Hard Drive

800w Power Supply

Windows 7 Home 64bit

I am pretty sure I have all of the latest drivers. My first thought was that the graphics card was going bad. I swapped the 6950 for my old geforce 9600 gt and the symptoms stopped. I ended up sending the 6950 back to xfx for an RMA and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Any suggestions?

check you RAM swap it out with something else, RAM is quite a usual suspect for errors

My Current Rig: CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: H100i MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X SOC GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 Tahiti pro (Died 6/07/2014 RIP) & PowerColour HD7950  GPU Cooler: NZXT G10 W/ Corsair H55 HDD&SSD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Corsair GS 128GB + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2.  

PSU is going down? It could be, 9600GT require quite less power than 6950.

I did a windows ram test. There were no issues there.

Huh. I was thinking it was the power supply for a few seconds. It isn't 80plus anything certified. It is somewhat old. Probably as old as the core 2 quad.  It is a BFG 800w power supply.

do you use a creative sound card or have creative software installed on your system?

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

I have a creative sound blaster x-fi xtreme pci sound card.

Do you think that could cause anything?

Yes that will be the cause its a well know problem, i had the same problem for ages, i removed the card and software and the freezes stopped completely.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

did you overclock it? beacause my old pc did crash at the os after i overclocked it wrong, after that mine wont boot after i overclocked it and it is running barely at my dads mini office at home, but your psu could be another problem

That's kind of odd. I guess I will try things without the sound card. I wonder why it would freeze up the whole computer.

It was slightly overclocked a little while ago. But then I took it back to stock and still had issues. XFX couldn't find anything wrong with it.