How to stop AMDA00 Interface driver from continually reinstalling Win10

thorpj

Hi

If you've got an Asus motherboard you might've heard of this fiendish driver. Those awful Asus utilities require this AMDA00 driver. Unfortunately both of these things cause issues (including random shutdowns in games)

I've stopped automatic driver updates in device installation settings. But that only stop Windows from messing with a driver that has been manually installed.

So, after removing the driver, it reinstalls five seconds later. I've tried that troubleshooter from windows to hide updates, but it isn't shown there. 

Hope you can help, thanks in advance.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Get rid of the awful ASUS utilities

Perhaps i should've mentioned that they are not installed. The driver reinstalls regardless. I figured it was inferred, given how much i hate those utilities.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

disabling it thru device manager still causing problem?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

disabling it thru device manager still cause problem?

A good point and something that i didn't think of.

Buuuuut the disable option is greyed out :(

A good point and something that i didn't think of.

Buuuuut the disable option is greyed out :(

Sorry noob question, did you install the driver before you try to disable it?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Install the Asus Utility, and then never run it or have it run ever.... Disable it from startup, but leave the system service so it doesn't bug you.

It's what I did, installed, added some custom fan curves, stopped it from starting at all @ startup but left the Asus services alone.

/Mine was not greyed out in Device manager (But I have the driver for it installed so maybe thats how YOU would)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Sorry noob question, did you install the driver before you try to disable it?

I haven't installed the driver manually, no.

I believe the motherboard is telling windows to install the driver (it is only necessary for the utilities)

Install the Asus Utility, and then never run it or have it run ever.... Disable it from startup, but leave the system service so it doesn't bug you.

It's what I did, installed, added some custom fan curves, stopped it from starting at all @ startup but left the Asus services alone.

Okay, but how is that going to keep the driver uninstalled?

Having the utilities installed will only make things worse, since the services will still be there.

This isn't a dependencies problem, this is Windows 10 continually installing a driver, and giving the user no choice in the matter,

Okay, but how is that going to keep the driver uninstalled?

Having the utilities installed will only make things worse, since the services will still be there.

This isn't a dependencies problem, this is Windows 10 continually installing a driver, and giving the user no choice in the matter,

Windows 10 being Win10 possibly..., my post was to reflect that you keep it installed, and disable the util keeping it installed, so Win10 won't keep asking you to reinstall that driver over and over.

Not ideal, you want it all gone I know... but I have no solution for that.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Use this. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Some mentioned it doesn't work after latest update but give it a try.

Windows 10 being Win10 possibly..., my post was to reflect that you keep it installed, and disable the util keeping it installed, so Win10 won't keep asking you to reinstall that driver over and over.

Not ideal, you want it all gone I know... but I have no solution for that.

Windows doesn't keep asking me to reinstall the driver unless i uninstall it. Installing the utilities won't fix that (well, i think it won't, and it shouldn't).

This issue consistently causes crashes in a couple of games i play. In particular, World of Tanks (which i've been playing a lot of recently. The pain of having my PC crash, and then returning to a battle to find my tank dead and 29 people deciding that i'm an idiot for driving right into the enemy... Well i don't enjoy it.

Use this. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Some mentioned it doesn't work after latest update but give it a try.

That would be the troubleshooter that hides updates (ie, preventing windows from reinstalling them). I've tried it already and the AMDA00 Interface isn't available as an update to hide.

Windows doesn't keep asking me to reinstall the driver unless i uninstall it. Installing the utilities won't fix that (well, i think it won't, and it shouldn't).

This issue consistently causes crashes in a couple of games i play. In particular, World of Tanks (which i've been playing a lot of recently. The pain of having my PC crash, and then returning to a battle to find my tank dead and 29 people deciding that i'm an idiot for driving right into the enemy... Well i don't enjoy it.

How can Installing the utils not fix it... or shouldn't as you stated (don't mean to be rude, im surprised) (My AMDA00 driver is installed) and that was done with the Asus software install and nothing else would have done it afaik.

I know that feeling all too well, I play WOT pretty much everyday and know the feels when PC/Network goes down.

How can Installing the utils not fix it... or shouldn't as you stated (don't mean to be rude, im surprised) (My AMDA00 driver is installed) and that was done with the Asus software install and nothing else would have done it afaik.

I know that feeling all too well, I play WOT pretty much everyday and know the feels when PC/Network goes down.

AMDA00 was not installed by the utilities. Those utilities have never touched this windows install, so they did not install the driver.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the motherboard initiates the install of the driver as a bridge between the BIOS and mobo sensors in case the user does install the utilities. This is poor design from ASUS, and i expected far better, especially considering their positive reputation (especially with LTT...). And this is not limited to my lowly B85 motherboard. This has been an issue on many Asus mobos, including Z97 and X99.

AMDA00 was not installed by the utilities. Those utilities have never touched this windows install, so they did not install the driver.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the motherboard initiates the install of the driver as a bridge between the BIOS and mobo sensors in case the user does install the utilities. This is poor design from ASUS, and i expected far better, especially considering their positive reputation (especially with LTT...). And this is not limited to my lowly B85 motherboard. This has been an issue on many Asus mobos, including Z97 and X99.

^But thats so stupid.... locking the end user out of options or the ability to trouble shoot IF this part has an issue.

GG Asus. (Have you contacted them directly on the matter?)

^But thats so stupid.... locking the end user out of options or the ability to trouble shoot IF this part has an issue.

GG Asus. (Have you contacted them directly on the matter?)

Indeed it is stupid. 

But, despite ASUS' folly. This issue could have been solved if Windows would actually trust the user to manage updates themselves. I think Windows after a clean install should be in "noobs mode". And then the techie people like us can instantly go into the settings and toggle the "oh, you actually know what you're doing button"

I haven't contacted ASUS just yet. I figured i'd ask around here, in case it could save me the pain of dealing with a companies tech support.

Thanks for your help, all. I'll talk to ASUS and leave an update in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I've spoken to ASUS. They immediately cited hardware issues and told me to speak to the retailer. I've replied to that, and they seem to be ignoring me.

Awesome. Now how the hell did ASUS get such a good rep?