Sennheiser HD600 modification for people looking at the HD650's

I have seen a lot of people suggesting the Sennheiser hd650’s to people, I would just like to discuss why this would be a poor choice. The only difference between the hd650 ‘s and their cheaper cousin the Hd600’s is a small foam insert blocking some of the airflow to the hd600’s drivers. This causes the driver to not receive enough air and thus the sound is choked. If you are looking into buying the Hd650’s you can buy the hd600’s and remove the small foam insert in the back of the 600’s and you would effectively have the more expensive 650’s. If you want to know how to do this modification look at this link to get step by step instructions for removing the foam filter: (http://apuresound.com/hdsennmod.html)

What a load of bullcrap. Removing the foam might make the cans sound better (it's a matter of personal preference really, I'm pretty sure some people would think it's better with the foam), but it doesn't magically transform them into HD650's.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Wouldn't this void the warranty? 

It is true that it would, but if you are looking for sound and you take care of the product and do the modification carefully than you wouldn't have any problems. Also if you have steady hands you could easily reattach the filter and any other inserts you removed with a mild adhesive since there are no security screws or stickers that me or sennheiser could probably tell.

What a load of bullcrap. Removing the foam might make the cans sound better (it's a matter of personal preference really, I'm pretty sure some people would think it's better with the foam), but it doesn't magically transform them into HD650's.

I think it is rash to say that Horus, the point of it was to give you better sound, if you want some extra padding and other asthetics then go with the Hd650's.

I think it is rash to say that Horus, the point of it was to give you better sound, if you want some extra padding and other asthetics then go with the Hd650's.

have you performed this modification yourself?  When it's complete, can you see through the driver to the other side of the cup?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

have you performed this modification yourself?  When it's complete, can you see through the driver to the other side of the cup?

I did perform this mod on a friends pair of headphones. I am not completely certain what you are asking in terms of the opacity of the ear cup however I can say that if you choose to remove  the foam on the inside of the driver (between your ear and the driver) than you see the tissue like filter on the driver, it is not completely bare, and personally i think it looks better. 

that would expose the driver too much for my liking. allowing dust and hair to get inside the can.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

that would expose the driver too much for my liking. allowing dust and hair to get inside the can.

It isn't necessary to remove that piece of foam between your ear and the driver, the real difference is made removing the filter from the back of the driver.

I did perform this mod on a friends pair of headphones. I am not completely certain what you are asking in terms of the opacity of the ear cup however I can say that if you choose to remove  the foam on the inside of the driver (between your ear and the driver) than you see the tissue like filter on the driver, it is not completely bare, and personally i think it looks better. 

can you see the driver from the outside of the earcup, I mean?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

can you see the driver from the outside of the earcup, I mean?

Oh yes from the back you can, though you can see the driver through the back on the stock hd600's the only difference is a small foam filter blacking airflow from the vents on the back. If any of you are wondering how much of a difference this can make, if you have an open back pair of headphones watch what happens when you put you hands over some or all of the vents.

First of all, who are these "lots of people" recommending 650's to others? I certainly haven't seen any on this board...

Secondly, breaking down the headphones into their basic parts shouldn't void the warranty - they're made to be easily disassembled in case you need to replace a part.

Thirdly, what Horus said:

I did a similar mod to my HD430's, now they sound like Sony v6's :unsure:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

First of all, who are these "lots of people" recommending 650's to others? I certainly haven't seen any on this board...

Secondly, breaking down the headphones into their basic parts shouldn't void the warranty - they're made to be easily disassembled in case you need to replace a part.

Thirdly, what Horus said:

also, I believe http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48671-ampdac-for-hd600/?p=648132 this issue was alluded to before by @MayflowerElectronics

I wouldn't modify the HD600's for a few reasons.

We do modifications to headphones, and the slightest variant in foam density, thickness, ect ect will have a major impact on the sound response. I also doubt that a piece of foam is the only difference between the HD600's/650's. Cup size, material and density come in to play. 

To everyone saying that it will void the warranty - No, it won't. They are designed to be fixed by the end user. I've completely assembled a pair of HD 555's and re-assembled them for fun.

Long story short - Modding any headphone to sound like another headphone is impossible, and if anyone says they do, make sure you have measurement proof of the claim.

edit - Example proof of a measured headphone (our own headphone)

5482164_orig_zpse558d365.jpg

The reason this mod is so practical is because the headphones have identical drivers. It is true that some aesthetic factors of the headphones can also have practical use but i still believe that this modification is good for anyone who was looking at the HD650's and dont want to spend the extra money and would rather get pretty darn close.

The reason this mod is so practical is because the headphones have identical drivers. It is true that some aesthetic factors of the headphones can also have practical use but i still believe that this modification is good for anyone who was looking at the HD650's and dont want to spend the extra money and would rather get pretty darn close.

What we're saying is, removing a piece of foam won't make the 600's sound like 650's any more than they already do. Tweaking the enclosure of the drivers is just as likely to make them sound less alike, so you might as well get over the minute details or buy a different headphone.

What we're saying is, removing a piece of foam won't make the 600's sound like 650's any more than they already do. Tweaking the enclosure of the drivers is just as likely to make them sound less alike, so you might as well get over the minute details or buy a different headphone.

They already sound about the same as it is.  Why go through all the trouble?  Some people still prefer the 600 over the 650 anyways.