Not so Affordable SSHD so far from Toshiba

Jeffrey Chiu_081

And apparently it performs better than the Seagate hybrid drive. That's pretty cool, actually. Too bad they only give it 8gb of flash memory and it only spins at 5400rpm, though.

wow that seems really cheap. The price points also make it so that you will inevitably buy the 1tb.

That is awesome these prices are very reasonable I wish every company did prices for what things are actually worth :/

The prices seem to have changed so its not a good deal after all :(

Editors' note: On August 22, Toshiba corrected the MSRP for the drive; it is much higher than originally reported, and the review has been adjusted accordingly, including the rating.
If you're looking to speed up your HDD-based computer's performance without spending too much, the new Toshiba SSHD is an decent upgrade. Its suggested retail cost of $199 for 1TB (or $159 for $500) is pricey for what it has to offer, however, and also means you can get a better deal going with the Seagate SSHD instead.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I had 2 seagate hybrid drives in raid 0 and can tell you while there are good gains over a HDD, they aren't nearly enough to justify the extra cost of the hybrid drives. You would be much better off with a HDD and a 60GB SSD as a cache :)

Actually I'd just recommend leaving the 2 drives separate and using the SSD as a system drive. Hyper Response was really designed to work with smaller caches than 60GB anyway, I believe 20-24 GB would give you about the same performance boost but you wouldn't waste as much space, which is why intel made the 313.