NVidia HDMI limited RGB range

Lauen

Are you guys aware that by standard, NVidia sets a limited RGB range on HDMI outputs? The standard, limited range is 16-235, and everything looks like crap with it enabled. You can of course change it in the NVidia Control Panel, by going to Change Resolution, and on the screen you will see the option for "Output dynamic range:". Change it from limited to full. The tooltips there suggest that many TV's have limited RGB range. 

Both my DisplayPort and my HDMI connected monitors get the 16-235 RGB range by standard. 

I do have this issue myself, as I noticed the RGB range was limited the first time I plugged an HDMI connected screen to my GTX660Ti, and I see SO many people who also have that problem and have no idea about it, they just think that it's supposed to be like it. 

Does anyone have any suggestions, how we could get this info to the masses, and potentially make NVidia have the standard option be 0-255 instead of 16-235? 

EDIT: I don't really have a problem with it, I can tell when my range is limited, and I just set it to full range, but the people that don't know about it are the victims here. 

Edited by Lauen

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

If you have a cheap monitor it can actually improve the image to use the limited range as a lot of them crush the whites and black's quite badly. Really displayport is the way to go if you have a decent monitor.

SNIP

Can't find 'Change Resolution' in Nvidia Control Panel.

CPU: i5 4690K @ Stock                GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock      SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers)     Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D        RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB LP             HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB                                         Mouse: Logitech m185

OS: Windows 8.1 OEM                 PSU: Corsair RM650                                Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX                         Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

This is the wrong forum section. I moved your thread to Graphics Cards.

But to answer you.

When you use HDMI, Nvidia graphics card assumes you are using a TV, so it set the colors to limited for the best viewing experience on the TV.

Usually, when you use a monitor, you'll use DVI, or DisplayPort.

You can however change the color from Limited to full colors in the Nvidia Control Panel. Expect to do this every time you do clean install of the drivers or re-install Windows, as the driver settings will be loss.

(normal driver upgrade should keep your settings).

This is the wrong forum section. I moved your thread to Graphics Cards.

But to answer you.

When you use HDMI, Nvidia graphics card assumes you are using a TV, so it set the colors to limited for the best viewing experience on the TV.

Usually, when you use a monitor, you'll use DVI, or DisplayPort.

You can however change the color from Limited to full colors in the Nvidia Control Panel. Expect to do this every time you do clean install of the drivers or re-install Windows, as the driver settings will be loss.

(normal driver upgrade should keep your settings).

Thank you for moving it, but this was not a "help me" thread. This was more a "hey guys did you know this" thread. 

I do change it back to full range when it gets reset, which often happens when I'm updating drivers. But I'm also getting the error on DisplayPort from time to time. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Thank you for moving it, but this was not a "help me" thread. This was more a "hey guys did you know this" thread. 

I do change it back to full range when it gets reset, which often happens when I'm updating drivers. But I'm also getting the error on DisplayPort from time to time. 

For DisplayPort it will depend on the monitor. For some reason, Display Port has issues with some monitor manufactures, including Nvidia and AMD on graphics cards.

Perhaps because DIsplayPort is new, or backward compatibility makes things complicated. Don't know.