Samsung 950 Pro

Miedo

Hello guys,

I just got a Samsung SSD from my girlfriend and the problem is that I have a Z87 motherboard atm. What Z97 motherboard do you guys recommend? I was thinking about the MSI Z97 Gaming 5.

im partial to asus myself i would go with this one, slightly cheaper 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z97a

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

Hello guys,

I just got a Samsung SSD from my girlfriend and the problem is that I have a Z87 motherboard atm. What Z97 motherboard do you guys recommend? I was thinking about the MSI Z97 Gaming 5.

Instead of buying a new motherboard because of one SSD you could also buy a M.2 to PCI-e adapter card.

That way you can put the M.2 SSD on the adapter card and plug it into a PCI-e 4x slot, just like a graphics card.

Something like this:

6422_05_addonics_adm2px4_pcie_3_0_to_m_2

But make sure your current Z87 board supports NVMe.

Instead of buying a new motherboard because of one SSD you could also buy a M.2 to PCI-e adapter card.

That way you can put the M.2 SSD on the adapter card and plug it into a PCI-e 4x slot, just like a graphics card.

Something like this:

6422_05_addonics_adm2px4_pcie_3_0_to_m_2

That's also an option. But I can't find any (trusted) shops in the Netherlands that sell them at the moment. Selling my current GD65 motherboard won't be a problem, because my friend is willing to buy it if I plan to buy a new one.

Does an adapter works on the Z87 chipset? And the speed isn't reduced?

That's also an option. But I can't find any (trusted) shops in the Netherlands that sell them at the moment. Selling my current GD65 motherboard won't be a problem, because my friend is willing to buy it if I plan to buy a new one.

Does an adapter works on the Z87 chipset? And the speed isn't reduced?

The speed is the exact same, cause all it does is to extent the M.2 connectors to the PCI-e slot.

Yes, that works on all boards that support your M.2 SSD. So you would have to make sure that your current Z87 supports NVMe, because you're using a 950 Evo, which is a NVMe drive.

If it doesn't you should be able to find a BIOS update for it.

I was able to find a few adapters on Ebay.NL

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/2-Port-NGFF-M-2-B-M-Key-SSD-to-PCI-E-PCI-Express-4X-Adapter-Converter-Card-/181908971995?hash=item2a5a9ea1db:g:7BkAAOSwaNBUeuto

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/M-2-PCI-e-SSD-to-PCI-e-and-M-2-SATA-SSD-to-SATA-III-Converter-/291287403286?hash=item43d2150b16:g:5sgAAOSwKIpWEp27

The last one can also convert to SATA, but that will reduce speeds.

Edit: The other one can do that, too :P

The speed is the exact same, cause all it does is to extent the M.2 connectors to the PCI-e slot.

Yes, that works on all boards that support your M.2 SSD. So you would have to make sure that your current Z87 supports NVMe, because you're using a 950 Evo, which is a NVMe drive.

If it doesn't you should be able to find a BIOS update for it.

I was able to find a few adapters on Ebay.NL

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/2-Port-NGFF-M-2-B-M-Key-SSD-to-PCI-E-PCI-Express-4X-Adapter-Converter-Card-/181908971995?hash=item2a5a9ea1db:g:7BkAAOSwaNBUeuto

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/M-2-PCI-e-SSD-to-PCI-e-and-M-2-SATA-SSD-to-SATA-III-Converter-/291287403286?hash=item43d2150b16:g:5sgAAOSwKIpWEp27

The last one can also convert to SATA, but that will reduce speeds.

Edit: The other one can do that, too :P

Thanks for helping. Appreciate it. I think its faster to buy a new mobo since my friend is willing to buy it right now for around €130. You think the Z97-Gaming 5 is a good one? I just can't wait to use my 950 Pro SSD, since I use a HDD still. 

Thanks for helping. Appreciate it. I think its faster to buy a new mobo since my friend is willing to buy it right now for around €130. You think the Z97-Gaming 5 is a good one? I just can't wait to use my 950 Pro SSD, since I use a HDD still. 

MSI does not have BIOS update for Z87 mobo to use NVMe. You will need Z97 or newer to use the 950 Pro.

MSIs Z97 Gaming 5 is a good choice.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

MSI does not have BIOS update for Z87 mobo to use NVMe. You will need Z97 or newer to use the 950 Pro.

MSIs Z97 Gaming 5 is a good choice.

Thanks both, I will order the MSI Gaming 5 now. Everyone thanks for helping.

Thanks both, I will order the MSI Gaming 5 now. Everyone thanks for helping.

No problem, buddy.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

They have support for NVMe, but it isn't possible to boot from a NVMe device.

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Intel-SSD-750-Series-PCIe-Compatibility-Tested

Thanks for correction. I read the press release MSI will support "9" chipset. That is H97, Z97 and X99 for NVMe. Also I went to MSI BIOS download section. Didn't see any mention of NVMe in Z87 GD65 Gaming mobo.

I make mistake sometime. :P

Thanks for correction. I read the press release MSI will support "9" chipset. That is H97, Z97 and X99 for NVMe. Also I went to MSI BIOS download section. Didn't see any mention of NVMe in Z87 GD65 Gaming mobo.

I make mistake sometime. :P

No problem. Everyone does mistakes :P

It wasn't your fault. 

Ah, but you can boot from it when you have a Z97 right?

Yes, you can.

Heey everyone,

I just got the Gaming 5 Motherboard. I've installed Windows on my Samsung 950 Pro, but is this really the max speed you can get on a Z97?

http://imgur.com/Io7kWbm

nope, looks like the M.2 slot is at X2 not X4 speed, chipset drivers not installed, or

MEI/IRST not installed..