Flickers in games?

Morpheus
Go to solution Solved by OneGun,

Here's what I would try so when know it's not the drivers.. I had some flickering on games before and I used 12.4 for awhile and it stopped. Anyway you can try 12.4? Make sure you remove all old drivers first with AMD uninstall utility before you install the 12.4 drivers.. If it still happens after trying this then undercooked your card.. Could be a faulty card bud..

gosh darn it, it's one problem after another... Anyway, I've been getting some weird flickers when I'm playing games (it seems to happen in all of them) imagine a black and white checkers board and that's what I see on a very tiny part of the screen when I'm playing games (only when I'm playing games). It happens when I'm looking at walls or rocks or the ground in game and never really in the middle of the screen, always around the edges. I have tried changing drivers, going back on my overclock which is stable btw and nothing seems to fix this so I think this is either the gpu's fault, my hdmi cable it damaged or something I'm not aware of. It might just be the gpu because it does sometimes also make a coil whine at around 50% fan speed (and only then) but I don't know if that's related or not. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? Also I think it's probably the gpu and not my hdmi cable because I can record the flicker in my games using a program like fraps.

Do you have another monitor to try? And does your current monitor support other forms of input?(if you're using a monitor)

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What graphics card do you have?

radeon 7950

Do you have another monitor to try? And does your current monitor support other forms of input?(if you're using a monitor)

i don't have a monitor but this happened after I got my 7950 (i noticed this like 3 weeks after I got this card) I used to have a 7870 and I never saw anything like this...

The older drivers had flickering issues in them.. What driver are you using?

Have you tried updating your drivers?

yes and went back nothing seems to work.

The older drivers had flickering issues in them.. What driver are you using?

13.8 new one 

Does it only flicker on directx 9 games?

so far borderlands 2, gta 4, skyrim, and sometimes (barely) in tomb raider but then again I don't really play many other games

Edit: not sure if they're directx 9 or not

Here's what I would try so when know it's not the drivers.. I had some flickering on games before and I used 12.4 for awhile and it stopped. Anyway you can try 12.4? Make sure you remove all old drivers first with AMD uninstall utility before you install the 12.4 drivers.. If it still happens after trying this then undercooked your card.. Could be a faulty card bud..

okay thanks I guess i'll try that but why 12.4? why not 13.4 or 13.2 or whatever?

Because the flickering issues started after 12.4.. Trust me I did a ton of research on this and even RMAed my first 7850 due to flickering only to get a new one that did the same thing.. I tried a bunch of drivers and 12.4 was the only one that got rid of all the flickering on a few games.. It only happened to me on certain games though.. :)

Because the flickering issues started after 12.4.. Trust me I did a ton of research on this and even RMAed my first 7850 due to flickering only to get a new one that did the same thing.. I tried a bunch of drivers and 12.4 was the only one that got rid of all the flickering on a few games.. It only happened to me on certain games though.. :)

okay great, one more thing, is it the same type of flickering that you dealt with? the black/grey & white checker board type?

That and random triangle flashes in clouds and such..

for anyone reading this in the future, I reinstalled directx 9 and the flickers ran away faster than the fastest cheetah