Sony PXW-FS7 4K video camera

I'll try to put up some sample footage as soon as I can, I'm still trying to master the IN's and OUT's of the camera, figuring out what's the fastest way to navigate inside the menus and change my settings as necessary, etc.  Doug Jensen's master class videos have been quite helpful.

Additional thoughts:

• Loving the Waveform, Vectorgraph and Histogram displays on the viewfinder, combined with the Zebra to check exposure levels.
  • Not liking the Focus Peaking feature as much, my old SmallHD DP4 field monitor has a better implementation of Focus Peaking.
  • As I am not using a power zoom lens, the battery life even on the smallest capacity one is quite good.
  • The Slow and Quick motion recording features are wonderful to have and use.
  • Already created some basic camera setting profiles for 4K, 1080p Normal, 1080p SlowMo SLog2 along with a 1080P STD5 MPEG profile for broadcast use.
  • Love that I can store camera settings profiles and scene profiles on a SD card, which gives me quick access to change to multiple settings faster than navigating into the menu and keeping track of which settings have been changed.
  • Need to invest in some Cine lenses, which have a wider turn arc for manual focusing than the photo lenses I'm using now.
  • Built in pre-amps for audio are wonderful, had a brief concern the Rode NTG2 mic was too quiet, until a colleague showed me I accidentally had the wrong settings.  Now it's working fine.

Hopefully I will get to use the camera for an actual assignment next week, as I'll be substituting for a couple of fellow togs who are traveling to Africa (their FS7 is going on its first field trip) and they need a backup tog at HQ to cover the conferences which are currently being held.  Anyway, I'll also be using the camera for my own projects... so hopefully I will be able to show some sample footage soon.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Nice! definitely jealous of you :P

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Damn, that's a beauty!

If I ever get serious about video, I'm probably going with one of the options from BlackMagic, like the "Cinema" or "Ursa Mini" since they fit my budget much better than the Sony cameras (from what I've seen so far)

But I don't expect that to happen any time soon.

-snips-

owh man that thing looks beautifulll! nghh, something else then a DSLR/slr/mirrorless shape does good every now and then.

but ehmm... did i spot guild wars 2 there? :wub:

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Thank you everyone.

Damn, that's a beauty!

If I ever get serious about video, I'm probably going with one of the options from BlackMagic, like the "Cinema" or "Ursa Mini" since they fit my budget much better than the Sony cameras (from what I've seen so far)

But I don't expect that to happen any time soon.

I initially wanted the Ursa Mini too, but as you may see online, not many people have received their pre-orders yet.  Also, I am hearing that the Ursa Mini sensors may also have the same blackhole sunspot issue as the larger Ursa, with no firmware solution in sight yet.

owh man that thing looks beautifulll! nghh, something else then a DSLR/slr/mirrorless shape does good every now and then.

but ehmm... did i spot guild wars 2 there? :wub:

:D I have some GW2 artworks set as my screensaver.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Snip

It will probably be months before I even consider getting a pro-video camera, so I haven't done too much research on what's out there, the blackhole sunspot-issue is rather unfortunate, I wasn't aware of that.

I plan on reading up on all this stuff when it becomes more realistic for me to get a camera like this.

Would you mind if I sent you a message asking you for advice if/when getting a video-first camera becomes a reality?

snip

Sure feel free, ShadowCaptain, Dredgy and I are here to help.

A few quick sample footage I recorded during lunch time.  The following were used:

• Nikon 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 glass
  • Fotodiox Nikon G - Sony E-mount adapter
  • Gamma: Slog2
  • Gain: 0db
  • White Balance: ~5000K
  • XAVC-I
  • 4096 x 2160 @ 50fps with 1/100 shutter speed
  • Slow motion shots were 1920 x 1080 @ 25p render, recording at 150fps with 1/300 shutter

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSkDQMgE-g2GqAy21EXf8pjgCL3v09YTy

Some thoughts

I quickly went out during lunch time and recorded the video, and my tripod was at home so all the recording was all done either hand held or placing the camera on a stable surface.  I was recording the video without sound.  I simply wanted to test the quality of 4K and Sony Slow&Quick motion features and the lens.

As I stated previously, the Focus Peaking feature* on the Sony viewfinder is not as good as compared to the Focus Peaking feature I have on my SmallHD DP4 field monitor, another item I forgot at home.  Hence I think some of my shots were slightly off focus and appears soft even though I was trying to use Hyperlocal distance focusing with a medium Aperture.  Additionally, as I am using photo lenses, the AF rings on the lens have a narrower turn arc than Cine lenses.  As the lens is a Nikon G glass, it doesn't come with a built-in Aperture ring, so I was using the turn ring on the Fotodiox adapter which isn't much help other than letting the user control the opening and closing of the iris.

All videos were recorded with Slog2 Gamma, and in post I applied the CineSpace LUT in Premiere Pro's new Lumitri Color.  I'll also do some DaVinci Resolve 12 color grading and play around with other LUTs.

I am loving the S&Q feature.

*The FS7's viewfinder Focus Peaking & Assist is not as sensitive I would like it to be, perhaps I am using the wrong sensitivity settings.  If there isn't enough contrast the color peak will not appear.  While in comparison to what I get with my SmallHD DP4 field monitor which can show the color peak highlight even on low contrasty  areas such as if I am viewing a white towel lying flat on a table.  Below is a video demo of SmallHD's Focus Assist Plus compared to a Sony monitor.

SNIP

That slow mo is lovely! very smooth and crisp

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

That slow mo is lovely! very smooth and crisp

:wub:  I'm in love with this feature on the camera.

:wub:  I'm in love with this feature on the camera.

Its one massive reasons I want to upgrade my camera, I am a sucker for nice slow motion, it can be used so creatively, some nice slow motion and good music is such a joy to watch, especially if graded nicely - it just makes the world look so special and amazing

The FS7 really is an amazing piece of kit, and considering its price good value too!

Though I really want a C500...like.....yeah 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

beautiful!

(also Philip Bloom  :wub: )

I am hoping that the 4k on the A7rII is going to be good enough for me, that is 100% my next body upgrade (especially as I can get it for about half price)

EDIT - not a fan of the full size URSA unless you are running with a crew, its not a great Solo camera

Where in the name of FUCK are you getting that A7 for half price, please, GOD LET ME KNOW

Do you just have some pirates on speed dial waiting to raid incoming UK cargo barges on on your command?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Where in the name of FUCK are you getting that A7 for half price, please, GOD LET ME KNOW

Do you just have some pirates on speed dial waiting to raid incoming UK cargo barges on on your command?

My friend works for sony

My friend works for sony

So are you going to hook me up with a discount for the A7R2?  ;)

So are you going to hook me up with a discount for the A7R2?  ;)

nope :P

Ok here is a short "Quick Motion" I recorded this afternoon.

DCI 4K, using a Nikon 70-200 lens

10p frame rate, 1/50 shutter speed

XAVC-I Slog 3

3.5GB file size for 60 second video

Color Graded in Premiere Pro

I still need to work out a good 4K workflow, because it can get very PC intensive trying to even do a simple noise reduction and white balance correction.

Here is a hand held shot I did a few days ago, to see if the FS7 suffers from this black hole sun issue.

Some of the stuff I've uploaded are in DCI 4K resolution 4096 x 2160, but I guess YouTube is till processing them.

I'm still learning to use the new Lumetri Color panel in Premiere Pro.

Went back and regraded this clip.

Setting up for an interview today.  The FS7 seems small compared to the older gear.  This studio belongs to one of the agencies I work for as a freelancer and consultant.

post-51022-0-85258900-1447549426.jpg

post-89336-0-82398200-1447549936.png

post-89336-0-04939600-1447550288.png

post-89336-0-69421100-1447550294.png

Setting up for several interviews today.  The FS7 seems small compared to the older gear.  This studio belongs to one of the agencies I work for as a freelancer and consultant.

attachicon.gifIMG_1025.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1026.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1027.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1028.jpg

Am I allowed to make a joke about the fact all the chairs are made out of leather?

BUt now serious, that looks pretty sweet and looks indeed pretty small yeah when you compare it to older things, like the ones on the cabinet of the last picture.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Am I allowed to make a joke about the fact all the chairs are made out of leather?

BUt now serious, that looks pretty sweet and looks indeed pretty small yeah when you compare it to older things, like the ones on the cabinet of the last picture.

Be my guest about the leather chairs...  we have other chairs that are not covered in leather.

Those cameras on the cabinets are now considered museum pieces by us. the only working ones are the ones mounted on the tripods, but the center one (attached to the prompter) needs to be sent back for servicing.  The lens controls are not very responsive.

Setting up for an interview today.  The FS7 seems small compared to the older gear.  This studio belongs to one of the agencies I work for as a freelancer and consultant.

Looks shit  :ph34r:

How much did this monster cost? 

I bought my kit for a total investment of CHF 8,900.00 so far which included:

• Camera body from supplier
  • 1 spare battery BPU-90 from supplier
  • 1 LED light panel from supplier
  • 2x 64GB memory card from supplier
  • Nikon-Sony lens adapter from Amazon
  • Cheeseplate from eBay

Lenses, audio equipment, tripod, etc. are not part of the current investment since I already own them.

The camera body alone is nearly $1000 cheaper than the price in the US.

http://www.visuals-switzerland.net/en/4k-memory-card-camcorder/73609-sony-pxw-fs7-s35-xdcam-4k-camera-e-mount-xavc.html