A visit to the Razer Manila shop... An attempted journey of discovery...

DigitalHermit

If you all remember this news tidbit posted a few days back...

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/431905-fans-disappointed-at-razer-store-manila-opening/

I took the time to visit the shop as it was on the way home from one of my earlier destinations...

The shop is located at the 4th floor of SM North Annex... Can't remember which shops are near it to be precise...

So I went there... Trying to see what the hype was all about when it opened....

I arrived there after struggling with the traffic and the horrible weather... only to find a dark shop...

By dark I mean, lights out dark... darker than a cinema... the only sources of lights are their keyboards, some wall mounted LED strips, some tine LED displays and a bunch of Razer Blade 14s  on the middle desk of sorts...

It was so dark I couldn't even make out the shapes of the stuff on display... not even the H440 surrounded by a bunch of monitors and other stuff...

The shop was occupied mostly by local gamers playing WoT on the laptops on display... and the staff was unenthusiastic at best... (I was wearing clothes fit for physical work...)

I took the time to sample each and every keyboard on the shop... but to no avail... I could not find the source of the hype and drama that surrounded the opening of this store...

Needless to say, I left the shop in less than 10 minutes... completely filled with questions.... Why is Razer so celebrated in this country.?

Oh wait... I can attribute the hype on its opening to the free stuff that was given out... Nobody here can resist the chance to get free stuff....

But as for why, it still puzzles me... (and their membrane keyboards feel horrible btw...)

I apologize for not taking any pictures... I did not want to attract any unwanted attention...

Really? Darker than a cinema? You are saying you could not watch your own feet as you were walking ? Pretty sure it is overhyped, but your description... Without a picture it is really hard you know ?

Just dark... real dark... a cinema has at least some light...

the contrast from the keyboard backlights and stuff make everything look darker...

also they're selling clothing and bags...

Just dark... real dark... a cinema has at least some light...

the contrast from the keyboard backlights and stuff make everything look darker...

also they're selling clothing and bags...

Were all the case LEDs lit up as well? Or only the keyboard lights were on ? I do like the razer backpack that Linus uses.

Were all the case LEDs lit up as well? Or only the keyboard lights were on ? I do like the razer backpack that Linus uses.

I think so... but they didn't put LEDs on in the demo build aside from what came with the case... so I couldn't see the interior of it...

point is, why make a show room where you can't clearly see the products!?

I think so... but they didn't put LEDs on in the demo build aside from what came with the case... so I couldn't see the interior of it...

point is, why make a show room where you can't clearly see the products!?

I think it is all marketing, they created an Apple store and just turned the lights all the way down. It's kind of a great idea for a company such as Razer and its image, it wouldn't go that well with other companies though, Intel couldn't do that. Nvidia could do that but only in a boutique store where they sold Top of the line products, like Titan X's. 

I think it is all marketing, they created an Apple store and just turned the lights all the way down. It's kind of a great idea for a company such as Razer and its image, it wouldn't go that well with other companies though, Intel couldn't do that. Nvidia could do that but only in a boutique store where they sold Top of the line products, like Titan X's. 

Might just be it... but I'm a very visual and tactile person... I like to see and touch the products to give me a better idea of what I'm actually going to put money into...

also might be because I am incompatible with the local gaming scene...

Why is Razer so celebrated in this country.?

With the amount of people play Dota in Philippines, it is no surprise that people there like Razer more than other brands. Many SEA team players (from sponsored to non-sponsored) uses Razer as their main mouse. 

Worse being tell them that Razer sucks in quality, they'll tell you "You're just poor!" or "Your just jealous".

(The experience is from a pub match of Dota, and I uses Zowie EC1A, cost more than Razer)

With the amount of people play Dota in Philippines, it is no surprise that people there like Razer more than other brands. Many SEA team players (from sponsored to non-sponsored) uses Razer as their main mouse. 

Worse being tell them that Razer sucks in quality, they'll tell you "You're just poor!" or "Your just jealous".

(The experience is from a pub match of Dota, and I uses Zowie EC1A, cost more than Razer)

I used to play Dota during my early high school days... but limited to just a match per day... Back then we used whatever keyboard and mouse the shop had and just compensated using software settings...

after the game pretty much exploded everywhere, I stopped playing since the people were becoming toxic... and it was no longer fun for me...

As for me I'm using a DragonWar Dragunov and so far I'm liking how it feels... I'm wanting to get something with adjustable weight though...

I used to play Dota during my early high school days... but limited to just a match per day... Back then we used whatever keyboard and mouse the shop had and just compensated using software settings...

after the game pretty much exploded everywhere, I stopped playing since the people were becoming toxic... and it was no longer fun for me...

As for me I'm using a DragonWar Dragunov and so far I'm liking how it feels... I'm wanting to get something with adjustable weight though...

Being scolded putang ina mo or bobo are common to everyday SEA dota LOL

Being scolded putang ina mo or bobo are common to everyday SEA dota LOL

I meant I played before Garena was even a thing... There would usually be 10 of us in a shop playing over LAN... those were fun times... especially when the battles get heated...

then money got involved in the matches... that was when I stopped...