Command & Conquer generals universal fix thread

Well i did something but i don't know if it will work for u ..i had same problem ,simply i bought new laptop with win10 while old one has win7 and c&C running on it but it isn't on win10..i did dump thing but i worked ..i copied "EA Games " folder in programs file x86 and c&C file data on "Documents" and paste them on win10 in same directories and game worked fine without any modifications ..try it and tell me if it worked!

• 9 months later...

Generals Error.pngwhen i try to install the game i always get this error i have windows 10 64 bit and the game is original out of the box

1 hour ago, TWM15 said:

when i try to install the game i always get this error i have windows 10 64 bit and the game is original out of the box

That one is pretty common, this should work:

"1. Start the installation and wait for the error, abort installation
2. Restart Installation and wait until the installation process requests CD2 (the datagen.exe should be there at this moment)
3. IMPORTANT: Make the datagen.exe write protected (right click the file -> properties)
4. proceed Installation"

source:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-The-Ultimate-Collection/Problem-with-Datgen-exe/td-p/330464/page/2

EDIT:

Also edited the OP with a few common problems, read there first if you have further problems, if those don't work, ask here again

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

It won't work for me, I have done the steps. 

I even did the Options.ini file.

I am running Windows 10X 64 - Updated from Windows 8.1 which was a clean install direct. 

I reinstalled the game before any of the fixes clean, with the TFD CD. 

I got the former 'tech difficulty error'. Well with options.ini it removed that, but even with running Windows XP SP2, nothing still works.

Edit: Did a complete reinstall, wiped all files from the game. Before even running the game, I did the Options.ini - get a technical error. -_-

On 2017-03-30 at 8:45 AM, SovietCommander91 said:

It won't work for me, I have done the steps. 

I even did the Options.ini file.

I am running Windows 10X 64 - Updated from Windows 8.1 which was a clean install direct. 

I reinstalled the game before any of the fixes clean, with the TFD CD. 

I got the former 'tech difficulty error'. Well with options.ini it removed that, but even with running Windows XP SP2, nothing still works.

Edit: Did a complete reinstall, wiped all files from the game. Before even running the game, I did the Options.ini - get a technical error. -_-

Sorry for the late response, did you remember to remove the "Command and Conquer Generals (Zero Hour ) Data" folder while wiping? (located inside "my documents")

You also tried running the game in admin mode and you have the DirectX drivers installed right? I don't think it's necessary, but I've heard people saying that downloading the DirectX 2010 drivers fixed it

• 4 weeks later...

I just dusted off my copy of C&C G:ZH. Original disks and legit product keys. Installed without issue. Tried to launch it and absolutely nothing happens. Windows doesn't even recognize an issue or try to launch the compatibility troubleshooter.

No folders were in C:/user/documents/command and conquer... So I manually made the folders and INI file.

Went to Programs Files (x86) and set the C&C exe to Run as Administrator with compatibility for Windows XP SP

Current system:

Windows 10 Pro x64

Intel i7-4790t

16gb ram

AMD RX460 2GB

definitely not a hardware issue

Tried installing old DirectX drivers linked above. Didn't change anything.

I get no errors. Simply nothing happens when I try to launch the game. Nothing shows up in my task manager, no processes related to the game at all.

I've read on the EA forums that some people use a NO CD exe and it works. Now where can I get a no cd exe that's not from a super sketchy website?

A quote from the EA forums

"

The issue is that Windows 10 (not sure about Windows 8.1) no longer has support for the SafeDisc copy protection mechanism. It is trying to make this check and the driver is not being loaded on the system. There are many Event Viewer logs that show this.

Microsoft has not yet come out with an official statement on the matter that I know of, so there is not an official way to fix this.

See this Microsoft forum message for more information:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/secdrvsys-not-loading-in-windows-...

As another user has already mentioned, you can get past the SafeDisc check with no-cd patches, and this is actually why that works. So, if you can live with that solution, then that might be the only way until a Windows Update comes out that restores this copy protection method. It is possible that Microsoft has chosen to drop support for it. We shall see."

This would seem to explain why absolutely nothing is happening when I try to launch the game

58 minutes ago, noisebomb44 said:

@ej24

Yes, although there is a way to get past this without downloading any no-cd patches, but you have to do a bit of registry editing

I will update the OP with this soon

Thanks for the prompt reply. I decided I didn't feel like messing around with patches and cracks. I purchased the digital version in Origin. I figure it will have better long term support if there are additional OS incompatibilities in the future that cracks can't fix. 

My only issue now is the gamedata.ini isn't  present in the origin version so idk how to increase the camera height. I'll look for other threads on that topic.

Edit: I dropped an edited ini file in a folder within the origin game folder and it actually worked. 

• 1 month later...

I've just updated Generals to patch 1.08 and have legit clean copies of Win 10 and generals deluxe but when I launch the application literally nothing happens. It will ask for admin privaliges but when thats all done the game doesn't launch or do anything, should i try the options.ini fix?

EDIT: I did the options.ini file fix in the data folder and nothing changed.

On 6/22/2017 at 0:29 AM, MemerStever said:

I've just updated Generals to patch 1.08 and have legit clean copies of Win 10 and generals deluxe but when I launch the application literally nothing happens. It will ask for admin privaliges but when thats all done the game doesn't launch or do anything, should i try the options.ini fix?

EDIT: I did the options.ini file fix in the data folder and nothing changed.

Have you tried the solution under "The game doesn't launch after successful install" in my updated OP, or the fixes mentioned in my conversation with @ej24? It should be easiest fixed by downloading a no-cd cracked exe (i would look at "gamecopyworld.com" first)

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2017 at 6:59 PM, noisebomb44 said:

Have you tried the solution under "The game doesn't launch after successful install" in my updated OP, or the fixes mentioned in my conversation with @ej24? It should be easiest fixed by downloading a no-cd cracked exe (i would look at "gamecopyworld.com" first)

The link to the no-cd option is not showing

Edit:For the registry option, read that windows 10 removed the driver entirely, not just disabling it, therefore not allowing win 10 to work. Tried it anyways, and the command prompt says after i enter the start command that "the driver has been blocked from loading"

editedit: i did the registry stuff, still no work

On 7/10/2017 at 5:05 AM, MemerStever said:

The link to the no-cd option is not showing

Edit:For the registry option, read that windows 10 removed the driver entirely, not just disabling it, therefore not allowing win 10 to work. Tried it anyways, and the command prompt says after i enter the start command that "the driver has been blocked from loading"

editedit: i did the registry stuff, still no work

Yeah, I don't think im allowed to provide a link to it on this forum due to thier piracy policy, but it shouldn't be too hard, just google something like "gamecopyworld command and conquer generals zero hour" and you should find it, remember to download the no-cd version for the version of your game and replace your exe with the provided one.

Thanks for the heads up about the registry fix, I will update the OP