Worth upgrading speakers?

Tacitus

Hey everyone,

So here's the run down:

I've got 2 290xs, but I barely even game, it's stupid. I was so excited for Witcher 3, but I've still not even gotten round to buying it, I've got other stuff to prioritise right now. Overall I do much more TV watching/music listening than I do gaming. Besides, I'm only gaming at 1080p - I'd like to get a third u2414h, but can't fork out another £150 for a third monitor.

I've got Logitech Z506 5.1 surround speakers, they're fine for what they cost, but I use them as a 2.1 setup. They're just too much of a pain to setup and use because half the time they don't want to work in surround or something goes wrong.

I reckon I could sell a 290x for £180-200, and the current speakers for £30-40.

I'd not want to spend all of that on a set of speakers, but I was considering getting something like the Corsair SP2500.

Does this seem a good idea, or is the quality gap not exactly miles wide?

If anyone had any other suggestions of good speakers that cost the same or less as the Corsairs I'd happily hear them too :)

Forget corsair. They have their hands in way too many pots. Buy speakers from a company that specializes in speakers.

Look into the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. It's a tried and true system. Been around for over a decade now.

for gaming, forget about speakers and get headphones

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

for gaming, forget about speakers and get headphones

Indeed?

I've got 2 290xs, but I barely even game, it's stupid. 

Forget corsair. They have their hands in way too many pots. Buy speakers from a company that specializes in speakers.

Look into the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. It's a tried and true system. Been around for over a decade now.

Thanks for your suggestion, I was attracted to the Corsair ones because they seem to have gleaming reviews from everywhere, but I'll take a look into the ones you recommended.

Thanks for your suggestion, I was attracted to the Corsair ones because they seem to have gleaming reviews from everywhere, but I'll take a look into the ones you recommended.

So given your budget is around 100-200 gbp, i would recommend this or this with SMSL amp

I've read a couple of reviews of those speakers and they do indeed seem an excellent choice, but may I ask, where do you stand in terms of audio knowledge? Are you an audiophile? Do you have experience of these particular speakers?

Thanks again :)

So given your budget is around 100-200 gbp, i would recommend this or this with SMSL amp

Just to clarify on what these speakers are, are they essentially satellites with built in subwoofers? I'm a bit of a novice here! Is the amp just something that I plug everything into and control the audio from?

What would be the advantage of such a system over the more familiar 2.1 systems I am familiar with?

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Just to clarify on what these speakers are, are they essentially satellites with built in subwoofers? I'm a bit of a novice here! Is the amp just something that I plug everything into and control the audio from?

What would be the advantage of such a system over the more familiar 2.1 systems I am familiar with?

Thanks for the suggestion :)

These speakers do have woofers built in, but they won't be producing as much bass as a separate subwoofers ofc. They are what people call book-shelf speakers. As the name suggests, amplifier amplifies the signal that was given to it and output the amplified signal.

Every single audio transducer need amplifier to work properly. Your phone and PC also have amplifier but they're designed to power headphone, not a full sized speaker.

The advantage is just generally the fact that everything (bass, vocal, treble) will come from one place. Size does matter (to a certain point) for transducer as it will be able to produce louder (and perhaps better) sound. The disadvantage is probably you'll get less bass compared to the 2.1 setup. But again, you could get a separate sub if you want to

These speakers do have woofers built in, but they won't be producing as much bass as a separate subwoofers ofc. They are what people call book-shelf speakers. As the name suggests, amplifier amplifies the signal that was given to it and output the amplified signal.

Every single audio transducer need amplifier to work properly. Your phone and PC also have amplifier but they're designed to power headphone, not a full sized speaker.

The advantage is just generally the fact that everything (bass, vocal, treble) will come from one place. Size does matter (to a certain point) for transducer as it will be able to produce louder (and perhaps better) sound. The disadvantage is probably you'll get less bass compared to the 2.1 setup. But again, you could get a separate sub if you want to

That's an interesting suggestion. 

Do people buy bookend speakers for particular reasons? For instance, I'm more used to seeing them beside televisions, is that where they really excel? 

I took a quick look at amps, I presume it's just two leads going into it and then two leads going out of it and into the back of my PC?

It seems I could get the cheaper speakers + amp for £130-£140, which makes it within £10-20 of the Klipsch ProMedia suggested above.

That's an interesting suggestion. 

Do people buy bookend speakers for particular reasons? For instance, I'm more used to seeing them beside televisions, is that where they really excel? 

If you're concerned about that, the Rokits are already an excellent choice.  Studio monitors like the Rokits are speakers designed for near-field listening, whereas most bookshelves were designed with the living room in mind, though a lot of people sucessfully use bookshelves at their desk with a seperate cheap amp so it's your choice.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

I've read a couple of reviews of those speakers and they do indeed seem an excellent choice, but may I ask, where do you stand in terms of audio knowledge? Are you an audiophile? Do you have experience of these particular speakers?

Thanks again :)

I don't know. They don't have an audio knowledge test that measures audio IQ  :)

I recommend Klipsch because they actually have experience making speakers since the mid 1900's. The ProMedia has a broad frequency range. Klipsch speakers are known for very little distortion as you crank up the volume. They have a much stronger reputation for audio equipment than Corsair has been around. Plus I've owned the smaller sibling of the ProMedia for the last decade and they still work flawlessly.

And frankly the others are correct. You are going to get much better quality components if you purchase bookshelf speakers, a separate amplifier, and a dedicated subwoofer. But you will break your bank. It's becomes rather confusing to make the right choices. And I can almost guarantee any fancy speaker will not come with wires. Don't forget to factor that into the cost (unless you have spare copper wire sitting around.) The ProMedia is a great combination in one package. You would have asked a different question if you were looking for a custom 2.1 setup.

As for headphones... if you're looking for headphones, then buy headphones. If you aren't looking for headphones, then don't buy headphones. Headphones do not replace speakers.

Just for information I own Corsair memory in my current computer and only Corsair power supplies in every computer I own. But look at this screenshot I took from Amazon U.S. When it comes to speakers, who's Corsair?

post-192300-0-72700700-1434677589.png

If you're concerned about that, the Rokits are already an excellent choice.  Studio monitors like the Rokits are speakers designed for near-field listening, whereas most bookshelves were designed with the living room in mind, though a lot of people sucessfully use bookshelves at their desk with a seperate cheap amp so it's your choice.

These would be used primarily at my desk for my PC for mainly day-to-day activities, might shift them around for the odd party, do a bit of gaming from time to time too.

-snip-

I take on board what you are saying, but the Corsair speakers are well reviewed nonetheless.

I'm now debating the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 setup or the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers.

The former is £150 all in one, the latter I'm struggling with a bit more to piece together.

Speakers + 10m copper cable + banana plugs are £115. But then I need an amp of some sorts.

Can anyone suggest a good, inexpensive amp that will drive these speakers well so I can make a more informed decision over value for money. Also, how much would I be expected to pay down the road for a subwoofer of a similar quality?

Thanks a lot again :)

These would be used primarily at my desk for my PC for mainly day-to-day activities, might shift them around for the odd party, do a bit of gaming from time to time too.

I take on board what you are saying, but the Corsair speakers are well reviewed nonetheless.

I'm now debating the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 setup or the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers.

The former is £150 all in one, the latter I'm struggling with a bit more to piece together.

Speakers + 10m copper cable + banana plugs are £115. But then I need an amp of some sorts.

Can anyone suggest a good, inexpensive amp that will drive these speakers well so I can make a more informed decision over value for money. Also, how much would I be expected to pay down the road for a subwoofer of a similar quality?

Bose speakers are also well reviewed. Almost anything for the same price sounds better.  ;) Don't pay for the badge, pay for the speaker!

The Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers are considered "hi-fi" grade. They are also medium sensitive speakers. And I see you can bi-amp them as well. Which means you can have two separate amplifiers where one powers the tweeters and the other powers the woofers. There are some amplifiers on the market that can power both independently. Or you can connect a single amplifier and then run a wire from one frequency range to the other directly at the speakers... effectively under utilizing them. Plus you're talking about an amplifier with a subwoofer out... and those don't usually exist. 

You're not looking for an amplifier anymore. You're looking for a receiver to provide all this functionality. Budget about $250-500 USD (I guess that would be about 200 to 300 pounds, maybe?) for a receiver that can bi-amp and provide a subwoofer out.

And about $800 USD (500 pounds or so) for a nice sealed subwoofer from an internet direct company. Possibly more.

The Diamond 9.1 and the ProMedia speakers are not even in the same league. The Diamond 9.1 will murder the ProMedia. No question about it. But it will break the bank.

Welcome to hi-fi.

Definitely wharfdale. I really like the company's sound signature. For amp, perhaps @SSL can help as i'm on my phone and too lazy to look up at the specs :P

You're not looking for an amplifier anymore. You're looking for a receiver to provide all this functionality. Budget about $250-500 USD (I guess that would be about 200 to 300 pounds, maybe?) for a receiver that can bi-amp and provide a subwoofer out.

I'm on the Diamond boat too (they can sound very good when matched and positioned well). I don't think you're under-utilizing them without bi-amping, however. Each side will work with a single channel just fine.

Passive bi-amping this speaker can reduce interaction between the tweeter and the woofer, but a good amplifier should be able to manage that quite well anyway (at least those with a low enough output impedance). Dynamic headroom also does not change much, especially for most AV Receivers (since all the channels normally pull from the same rail).

I am not saying that there is no advantage in doing so, it's just that the improvement in such a setup declines as amp quality goes up (unless you use the separate amp gains to tailor the sound).

I don't think you're under-utilizing them without bi-amping. Each side will work with a single channel just fine.

Passive bi-amping this speaker can reduce interaction between the tweeter and the woofer, but a good amplifier should be able to manage that quite well anyway (at least those with a low enough output impedance). Dynamic headroom also does not change much, especially for most AV Receivers (since all the channels normally pull from the same rail).

I am not saying that there is no advantage in doing so, it's just that the improvement in such a setup declines as amp quality goes up (unless you use the separate amp gains to tailor the sound).

You were editing your response when I responded :)

I'm on the Diamond boat too (they can sound very good when matched and positioned well). I don't think you're under-utilizing them without bi-amping, however. Each side will work with a single channel just fine.

I completely agree with this. Except I think you are sort of under utilizing them by not bi-amp  ;)

You were editing your response when I responded :)

Sorry about that. I've had a lot of Wharfedale Diamond models before, and the 9s were my favorite (particularly the 9.3 and the 9.6). I still own a few, and they do hold up well against some of my pricier speakers. 

The 9.3 is the most balanced of the Diamond 9 models, based on my experience (no huge hump in the response). More people prefer the voicing of the 9.1 though, as most people enjoy the bass emphasis.

Sorry about that. I've had a lot of Wharfedale Diamond models before, and the 9s were my favorite (particularly the 9.3 and the 9.6). I still own a few, and they do hold up well against some of my pricier speakers. 

I just think the overall cost is going to be a lot higher than the OP wants to spend at the end of the day. He's going from a Logitech Z506 to a Wharfedale Diamond series. It's a gigantic leap. Although it's worth it.... it just costs a lot.

I just think the overall cost is going to be a lot higher than the OP wants to spend at the end of the day. He's going from a Logitech Z506 to a Wharfedale Diamond series. It's a gigantic leap. Although it's worth it.... it just costs a lot.

Since he's in the UK, it might not cost that much. He can buy from Richer Sounds (they have great bargains). I often envy their pricing.

http://www.richersounds.com/products/hi-fi-separates/speakers/bookshelf-speakers

http://www.richersounds.com/products/hi-fi-separates/separates/amplifiers-receivers

Since he's in the UK, it might not cost that much. He can buy from Richer Sounds (they have great bargains). I often envy their pricing.

http://www.richersounds.com/products/hi-fi-separates/speakers/bookshelf-speakers

http://www.richersounds.com/products/hi-fi-separates/separates/amplifiers-receivers

Do any of these prices include VAT? The first link I tried searching for diamonds 9.1 and they didn't even sell them, or maybe I was doing something wrong.

Do any of these prices include VAT? The first link I tried searching for diamonds 9.1 and they didn't even sell them, or maybe I was doing something wrong.

They probably no longer carry them (or it may no longer be available). They used to have them there. I am sure he can get a good deal somewhere. IAG is very good with dropping prices.

The Mission MX1 and the Tannoy Mercury V1 aren't bad either.

They probably no longer carry them (or it may no longer be available). They used to have them there. I am sure he can get a good deal somewhere. IAG is very good with dropping prices.

The Mission MX1 and the Tannoy Mercury V1 aren't bad either.

Interesting discussion I've just gotten round to reading, but to be honest, I think I failed to anticipate how much bookshelf-type speakers would cost and given my priorities in life right now I could not justify dropping several hundred pounds on them. I had thought I could get the two speakers, link them up to a cheap amp and away I'd go for £180-200, but it seems to be a lot more complicated than that.

I'll probably just go for the ProMedia speakers, but I'd happily hear more suggestions between now and then (whenever I sell my GPU).

Interesting discussion I've just gotten round to reading, but to be honest, I think I failed to anticipate how much bookshelf-type speakers would cost and given my priorities in life right now I could not justify dropping several hundred pounds on them. I had thought I could get the two speakers, link them up to a cheap amp and away I'd go for £180-200, but it seems to be a lot more complicated than that.

I'll probably just go for the ProMedia speakers, but I'd happily hear more suggestions between now and then (whenever I sell my GPU).

If you can live without the subwoofer, look into the Audioengine A5+. They are pretty good hi-fi active speakers, which means one of the speakers has a built in amplifier so you don't have to purchase one to power them. There is also an output that you can use for a subwoofer in the future. These speakers are going to sound a lot richer than the satellites that come with the ProMedia, but obviously you don't get that low rumble as you would from a subwoofer. If the A5+ is too much, then look into the A2+.

I don't know what Audioengine costs in the UK, but in the US, they offer a 30-day audition where you can order the speakers, test them at your house, and return them within 30 days without paying for shipping. Here are some stores in the UK that carry Audioengine products: http://audioengineusa.com/resellers/United-Kingdom

If you can live without the subwoofer, look into the Audioengine A5+. They are pretty good hi-fi active speakers, which means one of the speakers has a built in amplifier so you don't have to purchase one to power them. There is also an output that you can use for a subwoofer in the future. These speakers are going to sound a lot richer than the satellites that come with the ProMedia, but obviously you don't get that low rumble as you would from a subwoofer. If the A5+ is too much, then look into the A2+.

I don't know what Audioengine costs in the UK, but in the US, they offer a 30-day audition where you can order the speakers, test them at your house, and return them within 30 days without paying for shipping. Here are some stores in the UK that carry Audioengine products: http://audioengineusa.com/resellers/United-Kingdom

The A2+ just comes in under budget, the A5+ is too pricey (at nearly £300).

Not sure how important the low rumble might be - I mostly listen to dance/electro music.

I'd be able to get them with Amazon's 30 day return policy, and if cheaper elsewhere they'd come with a 14 day return policy. I could always get the ProMedia speakers to try out and return if not satisfactory.