FPS Headphones

calebp123

Does anyone know if you can use Dolby Headphone with pretty much any hardware? It's the superior software for 3D sound in my opinion.

Well any analog headphones will support it, as long as the source supports it (sound card or external DAC). If you use USB headphones/headset then the headphones will need to support it.

I think it needs to be certified to support it, so for example you can't use it with the FiiO E10 (I don't think).

stereo will give you left and right. are you talking surround sound? cuz i had 5.1 and i find stereo just fine for competitive gaming.

He is talking about how wide the soundstage would be, and how accurate of a representation it would have. Just because two different sets of headphones both have 2.0 sound does not mean they will be exactly the same when it comes to reproducing sounds from different directions.

>5.1

>Competitive gaming

TF2 is competitive? I wasn't sure hat collecting was a sport.

well i really dont care bout 5.1, 7.1 or anything like that. stereo is just fine to me and im not really missing out on anything

Well any analog headphones will support it, as long as the source supports it (sound card or external DAC). If you use USB headphones/headset then the headphones will need to support it.

I think it needs to be certified to support it, so for example you can't use it with the FiiO E10 (I don't think).

He is talking about how wide the soundstage would be, and how accurate of a representation it would have. Just because two different sets of headphones both have 2.0 sound does not mean they will be exactly the same when it comes to reproducing sounds from different directions.

im saying even cheap headphones will be good enough to reproduce the sound fine enough so u can hear the footsteps and their direction just fine.

im saying even cheap headphones will be good enough to reproduce the sound fine enough so u can hear the footsteps and their direction just fine.

Good headphones like the AD700 for example have drastically improved positional audio for me in games like counterstrike and sound is almost as good as cheats.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

without a doubt what you are saying is totally true. 

HOWEVER

the delicate level of detail of increments of direction is lacking. back in the day I thought I was gaming beast mode with turtle beaches on my head. but as I graduated to soundstage optimized headphones instead of hearing a sound and my gun heading left with soundstage optimized cans they more often point straight at the target 

turtle beaches and other shitty headsets are OK. sometimes because of laziness I do FPS games with my corsair vengeance headset and you can see it in my replays, I'd hear a shot and I'd scan around for the target instead of hearing something and having my gun almost on target all the time

without a doubt what you are saying is totally true. 

HOWEVER

the delicate level of detail of increments of direction is lacking. back in the day I thought I was gaming beast mode with turtle beaches on my head. but as I graduated to soundstage optimized headphones instead of hearing a sound and my gun heading left with soundstage optimized cans they more often point straight at the target 

turtle beaches and other shitty headsets are OK. sometimes because of laziness I do FPS games with my corsair vengeance headset and you can see it in my replays, I'd hear a shot and I'd scan around for the target instead of hearing something and having my gun almost on target all the time

Well I aint gona argue with you and you are right, I talked to you on my previous profile a lot and you are one of the most experienced here when it comes to headsets and headphones :). I'm just not that into the competitive play anymore if you know what I mean. I just play for fun nowadays and not for the K/D or W/L. When I try too hard I dont enjoy the game and I usually fail. Was just trying to say that even the cheaper options can be good and are just fine. But yea in a competitive play especially games like CS there u need a really good sound quality. I know what you mean as I owned a Tritton PC510HDa with true 5.1 i think. One thing I still dont get to this day: How do Tritton expect everyone to have a USB slot(ok thats understandable everyone has that) but it has like FIVE 3.5mm jacks or 4 i dont remember and they all need to be pluggedin for true 5.1 i just used the usb and 2 3.5mm jacks as i didnt have more slots. WTF Triton? lol

Edit: it has SEVEN audio jacks lol

Well I aint gona argue with you and you are right, I talked to you on my previous profile a lot and you are one of the most experienced here when it comes to headsets and headphones :). I'm just not that into the competitive play anymore if you know what I mean. I just play for fun nowadays and not for the K/D or W/L. When I try too hard I dont enjoy the game and I usually fail. Was just trying to say that even the cheaper options can be good and are just fine. But yea in a competitive play especially games like CS there u need a really good sound quality. I know what you mean as I owned a Tritton PC510HDa with true 5.1 i think. One thing I still dont get to this day: How do Tritton expect everyone to have a USB slot(ok thats understandable everyone has that) but it has like FIVE 3.5mm jacks or 4 i dont remember and they all need to be pluggedin for true 5.1 i just used the usb and 2 3.5mm jacks as i didnt have more slots. WTF Triton? lol

Edit: it has SEVEN audio jacks lol

"True" surround sound in headphones has yet to be anything but a gimmick to get your money. Beter to have two good drivers for your two ears than a bunch of crappy drivers packed into that small enclosure.

The USB likely powers the Tritton headset, while all those jacks provide the 5.1/7.1 audio to the different drivers.

"True" surround sound in headphones has yet to be anything but a gimmick to get your money. Beter to have two good drivers for your two ears than a bunch of crappy drivers packed into that small enclosure.

The USB likely powers the Tritton headset, while all those jacks provide the 5.1/7.1 audio to the different drivers.

Yea I guess so but then again if we were to talk non gaming purposes, wouldnt stereo be just fine?(Skype, watching YT vids and other stuff like that)

Yea I guess so but then again if we were to talk non gaming purposes, wouldnt stereo be just fine?(Skype, watching YT vids and other stuff like that)

Even for gaming, two good drivers are better than 6 small and quite crappy ones. That's what ShearMe was trying to say. It doesn't really matter what you are playing/doing.

Even for gaming, two good drivers are better than 6 small and quite crappy ones. That's what ShearMe was trying to say. It doesn't really matter what you are playing/doing.

Yeah yeah you are right. I'm not disagreeing with you guys I'm just saying there are still those casual people who buy just some stereo headphones and are fine with them for their needs. But then again those people don't really dig deep in terms of headphone slection and probably don't know much at all about 5.1,7.1 etc. But I agree with you.

Yeah yeah you are right. I'm not disagreeing with you guys I'm just saying there are still those casual people who buy just some stereo headphones and are fine with them for their needs. But then again those people don't really dig deep in terms of headphone slection and probably don't know much at all about 5.1,7.1 etc. But I agree with you.

Yeah, cheapo headphones are fine for the majority of people. That's why things like Beats and Bose and Skullcandy exist - They sound great compared to super cheap stuff that most people are used to.

Yeah, cheapo headphones are fine for the majority of people. That's why things like Beats and Bose and Skullcandy exist - They sound great compared to super cheap stuff that most people are used to.

Oh no. Pls don't mention Beats lol. Anyway going to bed. Cya