TN 1ms vs IPS 5ms response time, does it matter in gaming?

hello there, I am a variety gamer.

I play almost mmorpg all time but I've started going back to competitive gaming which was a big challenge for me if I've lost my skills to pull out a good strategy or I should be patient.

Anyway enough with this introduction to what I do.

I've got my eyes on an IPS monitor panel and you did guess it right, it's Asus rog swift PG27AQ.

I know it's quite a while till it comes to market, but i can wait and compare it to other IPS panels.

which TN 1ms is 144hz asus rog swift PG278Q

and the 4k 60hz asus rog swift PG27AQ

My monitors and what i plan to update to.

using MarketEngine;using Internetexplorer.msn.bing;using chrome.collection.google;using firefox.collection.google;public class BrandsMonitor{private Brands(Monitor);private float price = 16*100f;void start(){bool acer = Monitor.acer.TN("My first TN Monitor 720p");bool benq = Monitor.benq.TN("My second TN Monitor 1366x768");bool acer2 = Monitor.acer2.TN("My third TN Monitor 900p");bool samsung = Monitor.samsung.TN("My current 4th monitor 1080p @75hz");}void update(){bool sell.monitors = Sell.oldbrands.monitor("acer" && "benq" && "acer2" && "samsung");bool newplan.brands.Monitor = Brands.Monitor.Asus("Asus rog swift PG278Q" && "Asus rog swift PG27AQ");if(Asus){rog.swift(PG27AQ != 4k);Ignore.rog.swift.monitor(PG27AQ);}else if{rog.swift(PG27AQ = 4k)Buy.rog.swift.monitor(PG27AQ);}else{Buy.rog.swift.monitor(PG278Q);}}} 

Alright in other words

will it be wise to buy Asus PG278Q 144Hz for competitive gaming and wait till PG27AQ comes out?

Thank you!

The response time doesnt mean anything... on top of not mattering even if it had anything to do with reality.

All LCD`s are equally garbage when it comes to motion blur. You want CRT or OLED if you want clear motion.

Among LCD`s TN vs IPS matter greatly however. As TN is utter shit. And IPS lets you actually see what you are playing.

The response time doesnt mean anything... on top of not mattering even if it had anything to do with reality.

All LCD`s are equally garbage when it comes to motion blur. You want CRT or OLED if you want clear motion.

Among LCD`s TN vs IPS matter greatly however. As TN is utter shit. And IPS lets you actually see what you are playing.

alright thanks for responding

but in respective IPS vs OLED @4k, which one's better?

alright thanks for responding

but in respective IPS vs OLED @4k, which one's better?

OLED is superior to LCD technologies in almost every way, but it's still an emerging technology and isn't really present in the monitor market yet.

As for response time, just read the FAQ at the top of this section ;)

[quote name="Glenwing" post="5139214"

Wow best advice I ever read in the display threads and never even thought to look at the sticky!! Lol

I firmly believe your refresh rate matters miles more than response time. I just switched to 1ms from, I actually don't know what I was using before because it was some rinky dink 59Hz Acer monitor (though I can't complain, it's been a reliable stallion over the years), but I'm sure it was over 1ms, or 5ms for that matter. I can't even tell the difference between the two response time-wise. I think under 5ms is good, and anything under that is but a mere spec to brag about because I doubt many people, if any, can tell.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

OLED is superior to LCD technologies in almost every way, but it's still an emerging technology and isn't really present in the monitor market yet.

I apologize for not reading FAQ, but i was excited to which monitor i should switch to or even buy.

=)

I firmly believe your refresh rate matters miles more than response time. I just switched to 1ms from, I actually don't know what I was using before because it was some rinky dink 59Hz Acer monitor (though I can't complain, it's been a reliable stallion over the years), but I'm sure it was over 1ms, or 5ms for that matter. I can't even tell the difference between the two response time-wise. I think under 5ms is good, and anything under that is but a mere spec to brag about because I doubt many people, if any, can tell.

Alright I am glad that you pointed this out.

I am about to go from LCD to IPS, from 1ms to 5ms response time, 4k 60Hz and might have one monitor LCD 1ms 144hz 1440p 1ms in future.

Since I am doing multi-tasking gaming and stuff :) I hope that won't be a problem for my eyes. hehe

Go with ips over tn whenever possible. The colors and viewing angles look like trash on a tn panel compared to an ips. This is coming from someone that owns an Asus rog swift. Now that there's g-sync ips alternatives at this resolution I would not recommend the tn swift at all.

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.

Go with ips over tn whenever possible. The colors and viewing angles look like trash on a tn panel compared to an ips. This is coming from someone that owns an Asus rog swift. Now that there's g-sync ips alternatives at this resolution I would not recommend the tn swift at all.

Agreed.

Cheers, I will go with an IPS, thanks for your point of view about asus rog swift.

So... Assuming your graphics card can actually provide the fps. 144hz makes more of a difference (compared to 60hz) than 5 ms to 1 ms delay. 60 Hz means a frame every 16&2/3 ms (in this case with an additional 5ms phase shift, this does not!!!! Mean that each frame takes 21+ ms to load, a very common misconception. On the other hand a 144 Hz monitor refreshes frames every 7ms. Obviously then assuming you can actually generate 144+ fps, the difference is almost 10 ms per frame just due to refresh rate.

That said it isn't particularly noticeable to most people and if you can't generate 144 fps (which on many games outside of 1080p is very difficult) there is no benefit at all.

Think about it this way. If you can't see (as most people who have only used 60 Hz or lower before in their lives), separate frames at 17 ms render time, even 5-10 ms render lag is not likely to be noticeable. (In fact you could and should argue that any render time delay that is fairly shorter than the time each frame is on the screen ought to be completely unnoticeable as by the time the next frame is to be rendered, the new input is already caught up.

This means irronically for a 60 Hz monitor anything under say 10 ms might be acceptable, whereas for a 144 Hz monitor even delays over say 3-6 ms (spitballing here but general concept is sound) may appear to have significant input lag.

Just food for thought. Ofc tn panels are not particularly pleasant to look at but well designed ones today are still leaps and bounds better than the shit of the past.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS