Cases with SSI EEB Support

Hi there,

I'm building a workstation PC based around the Asus Z10PE-D16 WS motherboard which is of

the SSI EEB form factor. I've got all the components figured out but this system needs a home. 

The problem is that SSI EEB is roughly the same size as a E-ATX motherboard but the layout

for motherboard stand-offs is different.Finding a large case isn't difficult but finding one that has

official support for SSI EEB is difficult.  

There is some server-cases but they are ugly as hell and very bulky. I would prefer a consumer

desktop case.

So, have anyone had any experiences with motherboards of this form-factor and what cases

that will support the mounting layout?

Your help is much appreciated! 

DemcoX99X

ASRock X99X Killer, i7 5820K @4Ghz, 16Gb Crucial DDR4, 2x 250Gb Samsung Evo, WD 2TB Black + 2TB Red, Corsair 750D, EVGA Supernova G2 850 & GTX 980 (ref.)

If you wish for me to reply, please quote my comment ;)

found this on the webs

I just finished building a system with the Asus Z8NR-D12. Heres some MAJOR things to keep in mind with this mobo and the new Xeons:

- SSI EEB will fit in a EATX case. Its dimensions are exactly the same 12x13. However the screw holes wouldnt line up, 3 to be exact. The corners line up and some intermediate ones do, and that might seem like enough, the mobo is held tight and safe... until you want to install ram or the cpu fans. Those missing screw hold around that area and you might end up bending it, so be careful. I recommend drill your own holes, I'm using a workaround, little holders to keep it up but its not secure in on the tray, but I'm definitely looking to get a new case.

- Asus already comes with a backplate for the CPU, integrated into the board, do NOT get Corei7 fans and expect them to work (some will but you have to throw away the . Get the Intel CPU Fan designed for this chip. You'll save yourself a lot of headache.

- Finally the power supply!!! This was a headache! you need a power supply with a 24pin (ATX main power) and x2 8pin (EPS12v sever power) motherboard connectors. Most dont have this, I've looked. Dont be fooled by EPS certification that only means they have 1 8pin connecter and probably a 4 pin. Coupla of solutions, if your personally attached to your powersupply get a molex to 8pin adapter, make sure its not PCI-e 8pin but mobo 8pin. You run the risk of mixing voltages with this. Other solution is get the right power supply, so far I've only 2: Corsair HX1000 and PC Power and Cooling 860w.

Other things to keep in mind with this motherboard is:
- no audio (has PCI-E x1 thats ONLY for sound but cant find the special Asus MIO card thats suppose to work with it)
- the D12 has not PCIx slots, D12x does. Go with D12x if you plan to install firewire card,
- no firewire
- 2 USB ports in back but has connection for front panel USB
- latest manual is on the internet, the one boxed is missing a couple of pages
- cool it well and the cheap E5520 2.24 can ramp up to 3... thats just amazing.

This is a server board not a entertainment board. I'm using mine for VFX and animation and I think its a great workstation mobo, but for gaming and entertainment your better off with something else.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Phanteks Enthoo Pro is compatible out of the box, and a lot of people take a case like the HAF X and drill holes in it and make it compatible. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

A couple more from my case choice list from an SSI EEB supermicro build

-Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra

-Enermax Fulmo

-Silverstone TJ-09

Case labs cases also support it, BUT you must select it as an add-on option when ordering the case, or if you already have the case get a  new motherboard tray with the option. 

Double check these on the manufacturers website (places like newegg tend not to list SSI EEB), but these all should be compatible. I hear some lian li cases can do it as well. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

A couple more from my case choice list from an SSI EEB supermicro build

-Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra

-Enermax Fulmo

-Silverstone TJ-09

Case labs cases also support it, BUT you must select it as an add-on option when ordering the case, or if you already have the case get a  new motherboard tray with the option. 

Double check these on the manufacturers website (places like newegg tend not to list SSI EEB), but these all should be compatible. I hear some lian li cases can do it as well. 

None of these three cases are available in my country (Denmark)....

However, the Enthoo Pro is available but I've found that the Fractal XL R2 might have good support as well. 

Thanks for the responses! 

ASRock X99X Killer, i7 5820K @4Ghz, 16Gb Crucial DDR4, 2x 250Gb Samsung Evo, WD 2TB Black + 2TB Red, Corsair 750D, EVGA Supernova G2 850 & GTX 980 (ref.)

If you wish for me to reply, please quote my comment ;)

• 2 years later...

This video explains that you can use an ATX because 'they have the same mounting holes, it's just a few mm wider'. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2017 at 11:54 AM, Gilbert159 said:

This video explains that you can use an ATX because 'they have the same mounting holes, it's just a few mm wider'. 

Did you actually tried something like that? I currently have a Phantks Entoo, but I would like to reduce the footprint of my case.