Cryptologists, i need you

waggythegeek

can anyone tell me how to go about solving this? if you are feeling bored, you can go ahead and solve it for me. If not, just leave instructions.

Xvsnqof h zygeavfyhc ujqzj pxkx h xqcesk xpwxaqapaqvo zqejky uqaj eko hol eheky, yhajky ajho pxqof ho vosqok avvs, qx ova ehyaqzpshysg lqttqzpsa. Qo h fkvzhzjqof epbbsk qo ajqx hykh qa uqss eyvwhwsg wkfqo uqaj ovyaj tvyag xknko lkfykkx ajykk tvpy. Ajk skaaky ehaakyox vt xknko hol ajykk hyk lqxaqozaqnk. Qa jksex av pxk h ikg, tqssqof qo skaakyx hx ajkg hyk qlkoaqtqkl. Ajk ikg zho wk xvyakl hsejhwkaqzhssg wg eshqo akma vy zqejky akma

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

can anyone tell me how to go about solving this? if you are feeling bored, you can go ahead and solve it for me. If not, just leave instructions.

Xvsnqof h zygeavfyhc ujqzj pxkx h xqcesk xpwxaqapaqvo zqejky uqaj eko hol eheky, yhajky ajho pxqof ho vosqok avvs, qx ova ehyaqzpshysg lqttqzpsa. Qo h fkvzhzjqof epbbsk qo ajqx hykh qa uqss eyvwhwsg wkfqo uqaj ovyaj tvyag xknko lkfykkx ajykk tvpy. Ajk skaaky ehaakyox vt xknko hol ajykk hyk lqxaqozaqnk. Qa jksex av pxk h ikg, tqssqof qo skaakyx hx ajkg hyk qlkoaqtqkl. Ajk ikg zho wk xvyakl hsejhwkaqzhssg wg eshqo akma vy zqejky akma

How are you supposed to do that?

I don't need no hints but just straight up any answer regarding my question would be nice :P

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

How are you supposed to do that?

idk, that'swhy I asked... it looks kinda substitution-y to me, but IDK...

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Looks like a rotation based system.

meaning?

Let's say Rotation - 3

: Eg

A --> D

C --> F etc

^^.

You can crack it using brute force, through just going through every possible rotation. Or look at letter frequency to try and crack it; e is the most common letter in the English language, look for the most common letter in the cipher text and it's like to be e etc. If you're using that method you're best graphing the frequency of letters.

Let's say Rotation - 3

A --> D

C --> F etc

ah, ok. I see.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)

If you want my attention, quote my post or I will not see it. I ignore builds that do not use PCPartPicker.

If I have solved/answered your question, please press "mark solved" to make it easier for the rest of the community find the answer

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M

-------------------------

N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)

That's for an entirely different encryption algorithm, i seen that one earlier ^^

-double post- 

^^.

You can crack it using brute force, through just going through every possible rotation. Or look at letter frequency to try and crack it; e is the most common letter in the English language, look for the most common letter in the cipher text and it's like to be e etc. If you're using that method you're best graphing the frequency of letters.

could it also have a value for every letter that rotates the alphabet every time for every new letter or would that be dumb/ not working.(btw did you even get I mean :/. I am not good at describing)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

could it also have a value for every letter that rotates the alphabet every time for every new letter or would that be dumb/ not working.(btw did you even get I mean :/. I am not good at describing)

I've tried, but i don't understand what you mean

Let's say Rotation - 3

A --> D

C --> F etc

I just tried brute forcing it (number 0-25) and this doesn't seem to be rotation based.

@waggythegeek Do you have a keyword or something?

I just tried brute forcing it (number 0-25) and this doesn't seem to be rotation based.

Then this will take a little longer than a simple post on a forum... Do we even know what this is for? We could be cracking someone's bank details here  ;)

I've tried, but i don't understand what you mean

so "a" means rotate 0 --> "a" because rotate 0 (for example)

"b" means rotate by -1 --> "a" because it got rotated back by 1

"c" means rotate by 3 --> "c" because it got rotated forward by 3

so the current rotation always stays and the new match is found by rotating the alphabet from last round...

I think this is easier to understand but...

I gotta set up my second monitor now.

I am a recent topics addict :'-( can't stay focused sadly but especially not on the LTT forum.

:>

3.Use

Cryptool2

I think H is A

Then this will take a little longer than a simple post on a forum... Do we even know what this is for? We could be cracking someone's bank details here  ;)

Shouldn't be impossible as it's structured like normal language (words and sentences etc.)

Shouldn't be impossible as it's structured like normal language (words and sentences etc.)

By no means impossible, just difficult not knowing the technique.

I think H is A

Either a, i or o. Unless it's not structured English.

so "a" means rotate 0 --> "a" because rotate 0 (for example)

"b" means rotate by -1 --> "a" because it got rotated back by 1

"c" means rotate by 3 --> "c" because it got rotated forward by 3

so the current rotation always stays and the new match is found by rotating the alphabet from last round...

I think this is easier to understand but...

I gotta set up my second monitor now.

I am a recent topics addict :'-( can't stay focused sadly but especially not on the LTT forum.

:>

I kinda see what you're saying, but don't understand how it would work as an encryption technique. 

And could still be chinese! or worse FRENCH :o

EDIT: jk

3.Use

I kinda see what you're saying, but don't understand how it would work as an encryption technique. 

Me neither. Just had that idea flopping around in my head like a bouncing ball.

3.Use

By no means impossible, just difficult not knowing the technique.

I just realized that I didn't try negative values when brute forcing, but none of the tools I find online work with negative values.

Edit: I also just realized that this doesn't matter as you can do 25-n