Installing Ubuntu on a USB/flash drive

Go to solution Solved by Marxtai,

Here's a guide on how to install Ubuntu on a USB stick : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

No offnse, but if you can't find a guide by yourself on how to do something very simple and common - when there are already dozens of guides on this - installing Ubuntu might not be the best idea, especially for a family computer - unless you want to dual-boot, but that won't get rid of your Windows problems. I've never used the Ubuntu distro, but I've played with several distros and you need to do a lot of searching sometimes to do very simple things. :P That might not be the case with Ubuntu since it's more "mainstream" and popular than some other distros, so I might be wrong here.

In any cases, run a Malwarebytes scan first, and you can always do a clean install of Windows to get rid of everything and start fresh.

Okay, i've been using win 8.1 pro for a while now and since the desktop is a family desktop i am starting to wonder if some sort of virus got in. First utorrent started acting all crazy, then the explorer.exe went bonkers, even though i deleted all the files of utorrent from "\AppData\Roming\utorrent" i still have a "utorrent.exe" running in the background. So coming to the point a few years ago in my local paper i read this article about one installing ubuntu on a flash drive to get rid of said virus since 99% of the viruses are aimed at windows OS's, i was pretty sure i saved that article i couldn't find it, So will you guys help me ASAP because the amount of insane shit happening on my desktop is unbelievable! 

Rorossi FTW!! :D

Here's a guide on how to install Ubuntu on a USB stick : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

No offnse, but if you can't find a guide by yourself on how to do something very simple and common - when there are already dozens of guides on this - installing Ubuntu might not be the best idea, especially for a family computer - unless you want to dual-boot, but that won't get rid of your Windows problems. I've never used the Ubuntu distro, but I've played with several distros and you need to do a lot of searching sometimes to do very simple things. :P That might not be the case with Ubuntu since it's more "mainstream" and popular than some other distros, so I might be wrong here.

In any cases, run a Malwarebytes scan first, and you can always do a clean install of Windows to get rid of everything and start fresh.

to be honest, i think you're better off tossing malwarebytes on the machine, and doing a few scans.

if you cannot do the basic linux install by yourself, you may not be the right person for linux.

the family computer might also not be the right location to experiment to learn the inner workings of linux.

well the last time i tried something like this i erased the whole hard drive, so just to be sure :P:) but i did recover all the data :D so that was good on the other hand i had a fresh copy of win 8.1 installed later :D

Rorossi FTW!! :D

Okay, i've been using win 8.1 pro for a while now and since the desktop is a family desktop i am starting to wonder if some sort of virus got in. First utorrent started acting all crazy, then the explorer.exe went bonkers, even though i deleted all the files of utorrent from "\AppData\Roming\utorrent" i still have a "utorrent.exe" running in the background. So coming to the point a few years ago in my local paper i read this article about one installing ubuntu on a flash drive to get rid of said virus since 99% of the viruses are aimed at windows OS's, i was pretty sure i saved that article i couldn't find it, So will you guys help me ASAP because the amount of insane shit happening on my desktop is unbelievable! 

UNetbootin is the easiest way.  Plus it's extremely effective.  I use it for most distros.  Note that it won't work with Arch based distros though.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

UNetbootin is the easiest way.  Plus it's extremely effective.  I use it for most distros.  Note that it won't work with Arch based distros though.

is there anything that works with arch out of the box?

arch itself doesnt work out of the box.

/s

i actually like arch... its just a pain to use...

is there anything that works with arch out of the box?

arch itself doesnt work out of the box.

/s

i actually like arch... its just a pain to use...

Manjaro isn't a pain, and is Arch based.  Really well put together I might add.

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

Manjaro isn't a pain, and is Arch based.  Really well put together I might add.

i've actually been putting off on installing manjaro on my main system, i REALLY like it, but theres a few corners that i keep hitting (as with any other distro, like trying to update linux mint without install media)

i've actually been putting off on installing manjaro on my main system, i REALLY like it, but theres a few corners that i keep hitting (as with any other distro, like trying to update linux mint without install media)

Check out Spatry's Cup of Linux on YouTube, he has an entire series on doing stuff in Manjaro.  Should also check out his forums, there are some different spinoffs of Manjaro there for you to try as well (Including one he made himself)

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

Check out Spatry's Cup of Linux on YouTube, he has an entire series on doing stuff in Manjaro.  Should also check out his forums, there are some different spinoffs of Manjaro there for you to try as well (Including one he made himself)

i know my way around manjaro, i'm trying to remember what the exact issue i ran into was, i think it was an issue with audio over hdmi.

point is: linux takes knowledge, time and patience. the last 2 of those are the biggest issue for most people.