Best Value 1440p 120hz Monitor?

OK hi! i just built a PC

Specs: 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 
CPU: I7-4790K 4 GHz 

GPU: GTX 970 (yet to buy) 
RAM: Patriot: Viper 16 GB Ram (2x8) 

i want to upgrade my monitor from a 900p 60hz to a 1440p 120hz monitor

or at least a 1080p 120hz monitor (but prefered 1440p)

any recommendations?

i have 500$

ROG swift? if you have the money 

but if you can wait for the AMD 900x series of cards and more  freesync monitors

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

ROG swift is garbage... considering for the same 800$ you can get XB270HU - same as swift in all specs, except you can actually see the game, cuz it has an IPS panel.

But the asus mg279q is the same exact thing as xb270hu, except freesync instead of gsync and therefore costs 600$. Thats the best bang/buck one.

Personally, id go for acer predator z35 or benq xr3501 myself. But they WILL be expensive.

ROG swift is garbage... considering for the same 800$ you can get XB270HU - same as swift in all specs, except you can actually see the game, cuz it has an IPS panel.

But the asus mg279q is the same exact thing as xb270hu, except freesync instead of gsync and therefore costs 600$. Thats the best bang/buck one.

Personally, id go for acer predator z35 or benq xr3501 myself. But they WILL be expensive.

Just because one has IPS doesnt make it better, that's subjective. In actual fact the ROG is faster :P Please don't make assumptions when you own neither or have not experienced either. 

Just because one has IPS doesnt make it better, that's subjective. In actual fact the ROG is faster :P Please don't make assumptions when you own neither or have not experienced either. 

RoG Swift may be faster in G2G response time (2.9 ms vs 5.5 ms average) which you literally cannot tell the difference anyways (IMO), but it loses to XB270HU in terms of average display lag (3 ms vs 4 ms) which I believe is the more critical specification.

I wouldn't call RoG Swift garbage but it is indeed inferior compared to the XB270HU since the price is so similar. If RoG Swift did drop the price a bit to be more competitive, it might be worth it.

*Source from TFTCentral*

CASE - CM Storm Stryker, PSU - EVGA 1000 P2 80+ Plat, CPU - i7 4790K w/ NZXT Kraken X61, GPU - MSI GTX 1080 TI Seahawk X, MB - ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII, RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaw X Series (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600, SSD - SAMSUNG 1 TB, DISPLAY - ACER XB270HU + SAMSUNG S24C570HL

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

Click on the "pursuit camera tests"... see how the different response times manifest themselves, as here is a direct comparison between the two.

"response time" means PIXEL response time and has to do with ghosting... and NOTHING to do with lag of whats going on.... .............. you knew that right?

Imperceptible difference in ghosting is the only difference between these monitors...

oh... and of course the fact that you can barely see the game on the TN garbage.

Lol I knew that, but in actual fact FACT, the rog is 1 millisecond compared to the acers 4

Lol I knew that, but in actual fact FACT, the rog is 1 millisecond compared to the acers 4

In fact response time is not a single number, and does not translate directly into anything in the real world. Response time numbers tell you nothing.

I know this guys, I said the ROG was faster, which it is. Thats a fact. You wont notice it but it is faster.

I know this guys, I said the ROG was faster, which it is. Thats a fact. You wont notice it but it is faster.

Right so back to the original point. The Acer's panel is better, it's not a subjective matter. It's essentially the same as the Swift except it's IPS. The only advantage of the Swift's panel is one that is purely academic and not actually noticeable, and as such we discount it.

Displaying more colors is an objective statement unless you are colorblind. Just saying.

Right so back to the original point. The Acer's panel is better, it's not a subjective matter. It's essentially the same as the Swift except it's IPS. The only advantage of the Swift's panel is one that is purely academic and not actually noticeable, and as such we discount it.

Lol have you seen the qa complaints for that rubbish. The acer pumps out so many defective panels, its a joke. IPS Glow, backlight bleed, slow response times ect, a shoddy stand ect. By all means, go ahead and buy one if you want to deal with the sharkish warranties of acer and poor build quality. I'd go with asus but thats my opinion.

Displaying more colors is an objective statement unless you are colorblind. Just saying.

So you are suggesting that everyone on here not colour blind has ips, and not tn? This is a great TN panel. One of the monitors is asus, one is acer - thats enough reason to get the rog.

Lol have you seen the qa complaints for that rubbish. The acer pumps out so many defective panels, its a joke. IPS Glow, backlight bleed, slow response times ect, a shoddy stand ect. By all means, go ahead and buy one if you want to deal with the sharkish warranties of acer and poor build quality. I'd go with asus but thats my opinion.

The RoG Swift had a huge storm of QA complaints when it released too, as you are well aware. So it's no "better" from that standpoint even if you make a big deal of those reports.

I think this says it all. The blind religious confidence of "knowing" the right "facts" without proof, and everyone else is just wrong, no matter what.

Annoying really, but i dont expect more from mentally prepubescent apes.

p.s. if bad colors was the only problem with TN, u can be sure that most people wouldnt have a problem with TN.

I think this says it all. The blind religious confidence of "knowing" the right "facts" without proof, and everyone else is just wrong, no matter what.

Annoying really, but i dont expect more from mentally prepubescent apes.

p.s. if bad colors was the only problem with TN, u can be sure that most people wouldnt have a problem with TN.

Lol get mad. The proof is on their website. Look in the product specs. If you can read you wont have a problem. Speaking of problems, most people dont have problems with TN panels which is why more people have them than the amount of people who own ips panels.

IPS panels may be more color accurate, but that doesn't make it more pleasing to look at subjectively. A more realistic color scheme will look boring to your average mass consumer. Sometimes unrealistic colouring looks more bright/vivid/cartoon like.

For movies, IPS definitely, and artists work in general as well. But for gamers? No, your average gamer doesn't care about realistic representation of colours. Don't forget as well, IPS often have poor black levels and bleed.

I got my Qnix (PLS) monitor up to a stable 120hz. 144 worked for a little while (week or two always on) then started to blink solid colors so i backed off. Sitting strong on 120hz for 8 months or so now. Good value for 300 big ones. 

I don't know about gsync...

i'd love to try it out before i bought one, but unfortunately i live in a place where tech stores are limited to stripped down best buy's selling only a 960/270x and nothing over 1080p in monitors :/

IPS panels may be more color accurate, but that doesn't make it more pleasing to look at subjectively. A more realistic color scheme will look boring to your average mass consumer. Sometimes unrealistic colouring looks more bright/vivid/cartoon like.

For movies, IPS definitely, and artists work in general as well. But for gamers? No, your average gamer doesn't care about realistic representation of colours. Don't forget as well, IPS often have poor black levels and bleed.

With time comes technological changes. Don't base your understanding of 'what is' with old info. Times have changed. After you or your friends have owned one of the newer IPS gaming panels you'll change your mind. Until then, feed the TN demons with your coin and swear allegiance to the desaturated white walkers. 

dh4dj9.png