Pacific Northwest National Laboratory have created a smartphone microscope that is 3D printable.

mustafaali61

The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory have created a microscope that can be attached to your phone.

The parts that are used in the microscope is a 3D printed clip and a glass sphere(which has to be bought but is very inexpensive).

The microscope slips over the camera lens of the cell phone and is no thicker than a phone case. It’s designed to fit most cell phone brands, including iPhone 4 and 5, Galaxy S3 and S4 phones and iPads. The material cost, not including the printer, is under $1.

Using inexpensive glass beads traditionally used for reflective pavement markings at airports, the PNNL team has demonstrated 1000x magnification, which is necessary to see tiny anthrax spores and plague cells. They have also made a 350x version, which is adequate to identify parasites in blood samples or protozoa in drinking water. A 100x version enables children to investigate common items like salt grains and flower petals in much greater detail.

393_1.png

"We feel there are many uses out there including human and veterinary medicine in developing countries," said Janine Hutchison a microbiologist at PNNL. "We are also really excited about engaging kids in science. School districts have a hard time providing enough microscopes for students. Our science education staff is getting it into the hands of local school children this fall through the auspices of the Mid-Columbia STEM Education Collaboratory."

Source: http://availabletechnologies.pnnl.gov/technology.asp?id=393

Edit: You can buy the glass beads here: http://www.biospec.com/product/297/glass_beads/ or here: http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/z265926?lang=en&region=US

http://www.avogadro-lab-supply.com/item/3_mm_Flint_Glass_Beads_Column_Packing_1_lb/803

3D printing files: (in the source)

CPU AMD FX-6300 Motherboard MSI 970A-G43 RAM G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2x4GB) GPU PNY GTX 660 Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) Storage1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue PSU Corsair 500W Display(s)AOC and Viewsonic Cooling Enermax ETS-T40-TB Keyboard CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid with Blue Switches Dollar Store Mouse Sound Dollar Store Speaker

This is so cool. I'll definitely get one for my brother when these come out. Any word on when they ship?

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

I'm absolutely going to print one of those on my school 3d printer!

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

This is so cool. I'll definitely get one for my brother when these come out. Any word on when they ship?

You can get the file and print the clip and buy the spheres from the website linked in the source

CPU AMD FX-6300 Motherboard MSI 970A-G43 RAM G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2x4GB) GPU PNY GTX 660 Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) Storage1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue PSU Corsair 500W Display(s)AOC and Viewsonic Cooling Enermax ETS-T40-TB Keyboard CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid with Blue Switches Dollar Store Mouse Sound Dollar Store Speaker

I'm absolutely going to print one of those on my school 3d printer!

hey if you could print me one that would be cool :D

This is so cool. I don't know if this fits on my opo but if it does I'll probably see if I can get one

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

This is so cool. I don't know if this fits on my opo but if it does I'll probably see if I can get one

Theres a shop near me that 3d prints things and you just have to give them the file and pay for the material. i want to print it out and see how it is

You can get the file and print the clip and buy the spheres from the website linked in the source

Ahh sweet didn't see that link. One of my friends has the Da Vinci, he might be able to put it to good use. Thanks for the info!

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

this is super cool, the medical applications for this could be endless!

Yeah, and schools wont have to waste money on $500 microscopes and spend that money on 3d printers