Vertical Graphic Card Orientation "Riser Card"

Hey everyone, I was recently looking at a Build Log http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=221316 and noticed the vertical card showing the waterblock nicely. I did some further looking into this andnfound something called a "Riser Card" http://www.ameri-rack.com/PCI-EXPRESS.htm A frustratingly bad website with little information. I was wondering if anyone knew of something like this. A pci express 3.0 extention cable.

Thanks!

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

does this add latency or any other kinda performance hit?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

does this add latency or any other kinda performance hit?

I think this might add a little bit of latency. I think there's less to none performance difference between using PCI E 2.0 and 3.0 after using the cable so its fine.

Found this post about it: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630699 (Read post 5)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

If you go with a rigid PCB you will need a 60mm riser card to fit a dual-slot graphics card, or a 40mm one to fit a single slot graphics card, or the fans will be choked against the motherboard or won't fit outright.  Many short riser cards are designed for server type cards which often don't have heatsinks or bulky components.

Or you could just get a cable-type riser, but they don't make any black ones xD and they look pretty ugly in general.  You could always color them I suppose.

There is no latency, no more than having a PCI Express slot at the bottom of the motherboard rather than at the top.

If you go with a rigid PCB you will need a 60mm riser card to fit a dual-slot graphics card, or a 40mm one to fit a single slot graphics card, or the fans will be choked against the motherboard or won't fit outright.  Many short riser cards are designed for server type cards which often don't have heatsinks or bulky components.

Or you could just get a cable-type riser, but they don't make any black ones xD and they look pretty ugly in general.  You could always color them I suppose.

There is no latency, no more than having a PCI Express slot at the bottom of the motherboard rather than at the top.

Yes but I plan to use these to show a tranpersnt water block on my 780. Maybe 2

Well with these cards, it's the back of the card that will be facing up.  The water block will be against the motherboard.

oh yeah... lol XD

Well with these cards, it's the back of the card that will be facing up.  The water block will be against the motherboard.

So would the extiention cable be the only way?

Yes. There are a few reverse riser cards for PCI, but none for PCI Express. You'll have to use a cable type riser.

hmm my only issue with that is whether I my vertical backplate mod could keep it stable, and some way of hiding it