R9 280X BIOS Problem

Go to solution Solved by Firearm2112,

Ya it is same core/memory, both runs at 1030/1500 stock

the only difference is performance. BIOS 1 is slower performance but lower temps, always crash/artifacts at OC.

That must mean the first bios is corrupt. I'd stick to the second bios, or try flashing the first one

Hi, so I just got a used R9 280X and I think it's underperformed. 

I already make a post about this here

Then I found BIOS switch and change it to no 2 (I believe it's dual Bios, switch is near CF link), the card seems perform flawlessly.

I can achieve 1150/1550 easy but it runs very hot about >80C at load. Compare to BIOS no 1 can't even run 1070/1500 without crash/artifact, but run at lower temps about 70C full load.

My questions is;

Is it safe? should I worried about it? (at least about the temps)

Why it has same BIOS but different performance?

Should I reflash it? or RMA needed?

sorry about my english  :)

As long as you dont have a reference card, 80 degrees is fine for now. Maybe get some extra fans and redo the air flow in your case for better temps

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

As long as you dont have a reference card, 80 degrees is fine for now. Maybe get some extra fans and redo the air flow in your case for better temps

It's PowerColor TurboDuo.

Did they create 2 BIOS profile on purpose? because BIOS 1 is almost useless.

It's PowerColor TurboDuo.

Did they create 2 BIOS profile on purpose? because BIOS 1 is almost useless.

Dual bios is for if you mess up an overclock and brick one bios, you have the other to go back to.

Could you go to each bios and find out the clock speeds for each? I'll try and get you more info while you do that

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Dual bios is for if you mess up an overclock and brick one bios, you have the other to go back to.

Could you go to each bios and find out the clock speeds for each? I'll try and get you more info while you do that

the only difference is performance. BIOS 1 is slower performance but lower temps, always crash/artifacts at OC.

That must mean the first bios is corrupt. I'd stick to the second bios, or try flashing the first one

Can i save BIOS 2, then switch to BIOS 1 and then flash BIOS 2 to BIOS 1?