Dark Rock 2 confusion

maxvons

So i just got the Dark Rock 2 cooler, and I want to install it the way Linus does in the video I linked longer down

Have I mounted it the right way? (It's going to stand the way it is in the picture)

post-18394-0-90257400-1373343252_thumb.j

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

The way you mounted should be aimed at the airflow of your case. I would let it exhaust out the rear rather than the top. Doesn't really matter though.

The picture rotated for some reason.. It's standing on a table. Can I place a 140mm intake fan in the back of my case, and let the fan on the heatsink blow through the heatsink, but from left to right kinda? Or would it be bad to blow air from the heatsink into the case?

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

The picture rotated for some reason.. It's standing on a table. Can I place a 140mm intake fan in the back of my case, and let the fan on the heatsink blow through the heatsink, but from left to right kinda? Or would it be bad to blow air from the heatsink into the case?

Think of the rear fan as a push/pull fan on the cooler. You want it to be blowing in the same direction.

Example:

<==Rear fan <== Cooler <== Cooler fan <==

If you want better performance and dust reduction, you'd typically want more dust filtered intake than exhaust (in terms of CFM) to create a positive pressure environment inside the case.

See this for more info:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?tid=wh_positive&area=en

Now I have it like this

<---- Rear fan <---- Cooler fan <---- Cooler

I have to have the cooler fan on the left side because my RAM is so high

Will this work?

Now I have it like this

<---- Rear fan <---- Cooler fan <---- Cooler

I have to have the cooler fan on the left side because my RAM is so high

Will this work?

As long as the cooler fan is blowing in the same direction as the rear fan, it's fine. I hope you enjoy your new cooler!

As long as the cooler fan is blowing in the same direction as the rear fan, it's fine. I hope you enjoy your new cooler!

Thanks! I hope this one's more silent than my H60 was. The pump was driving me mad..

If uve mounted it as it is in the picture ur cooler fan will need to be switched around

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

Thanks! I hope this one's more silent than my H60 was. The pump was driving me mad..

Really? It was either a loud fan you were hearing, or you had serious amounts of air bubbles in the loop. I personally can't hear the Antec Kuhler 620's pump, but its included fan is loud. Or maybe the H60 is just loud.  Just as long as the Dark Rock 2 is quieter, all is well, right?

Really? It was either a loud fan you were hearing, or you had serious amounts of air bubbles in the loop. I personally can't hear the Antec Kuhler 620's pump, but its included fan is loud. Or maybe the H60 is just loud. Just as long as the Dark Rock 2 is quieter, all is well, right?

The only thing I could hear from my system was the H60 pump. I'm 100% sure it was the pump, because I disconnected it and there was no noise. It was not the fan, as I was using a Corsair SP 120mm Quiet Ed. Fan. I just hope the Dark Rock 2 is almost dead silent at idle. And according to the box it's 20.5dBA at full speed, which is silent, right?

If uve mounted it as it is in the picture ur cooler fan will need to be switched around

I already did. Thank you :)