aRcade-D2. A 1:1 sized R2-D2 for HTPC and Arcade

d33g33

Alright ladies and gentlemen, this, is a big one...

For some time I've been planning on doing this for my best friend. Everyone knows someone like him. Always helpful, never asks for anything in return, always there when you need for whatever you need.

This year he turns 30, while his Birthday is in April and this most likely wont be finished in time due to funding restrictions, it will still be completed this year for him.

He has no interest in money or expensive gifts but he's a nerd through and through, he has HEAPS of Star Wars Lego and I have been reading about people making R2-D2 models for cons and such so I couldn't think of anything he would appreciate more than a life sized R2-D2.

I will be building a 1:1 R2-D2, the body frame has been cut today and will be picked up tomorrow so i'll have some photo's tomorrow night. This alone cost me around $750AUD. It will be a HTPC for his shed where we will have a drop down motorized projector screen and hopefully, hopefully the projector in the head of R2-D2 projecting the image out of the radar eye.

While it may make some people turn over, this will not be a movie accurate build there are just some parts I can't get hold of, but i'll do my best.

The PC hardware at the moment will be 2x RaspberryPi 2's. They are more than strong enough to run what we want, they are cheap and it makes the configuration easier for me.

I'm open to any suggestions during this build and you wont find me say this ever again but if there's any companies that would like to take part on this project please feel free to come forward, I estimate this to be over $2000 at completion.

Ladies and gentlemen, join me on the project that is, aRcade-D2.

V3gyj9C.png

lvAB94z.jpg

TKefGhX.png

Alright guys so here's what I have so far. 

A whole heap of parts that make up a large part of the body and legs, man, there's a LOT of parts and a LOT or work to get done here...

So ill try describe what we have here;

-Top left is the rings that make up the tubular body, just to teh right and down from them is the vertical frame that they all slot into. The box at teh far right top is cut PVC plastic sheet for detailing the build.

-Below the rings are the 2 main legs of R2-D2, the white pieces are should details.

-The large trapezoid shapes are for the feet for the main legs,  the smaller ones to the right are for the front.

-Most of the rest are detailing pieces like the rocket packs for the rear seat and other key features.

-The big white sheet looks like paper but its just paper protecting 1mm sheet of PVC plastic that will wrap around the tube frame and make up the main body of R2-D2 

iXo1tQz.jpg

AqHrDOY.jpg

w9URKQq.jpg

The rings for the body are 450mm in diameter for reference

2nplkT5.jpg

Shoulder details

on7dJLX.jpg

PCV Sheet that makes up the main body and the iconic R2-D2 arm cutouts

1fw3RgW.jpg

Laid over the PVC on a foot piece for reference of the detailing that it will create

ZXYJDBe.jpg

Its washed out as hell but some more PVC detailing pieces laid on top of the main body piece of PVC

qAHfV8M.jpg

Well, that's all I have for you now. Hopefully I'll mock up some pieces tomorrow so its more visually pleasing but then I have to glue and seal all this MDF for paint!

I also have to pick up the dome for the head and order some fine detail pieces in from the USA.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I will!

SO MUCH WOOD! in the literal way, no euphamisms. but srsly though, this is so cool, i thought that the R2-D2 was just gonna be bought but heck no. damn i'm so excited.

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

SO MUCH WOOD! in the literal way, no euphamisms. but srsly though, this is so cool, i thought that the R2-D2 was just gonna be bought but heck no. damn i'm so excited.

There is nowhere to buy a 1:1 R2-D2 as far as I'm aware. Every one in existence has been built.

TKefGhX.png

Very small update for you.

I managed to get my hands on a 3D printer for a while, this is awesome news as it will save me A LOT of money in getting some parts. Some I cant find models for but for a lot I can, this should save me $200+ dollars!

These are the first parts off the printer, ill fill and sand them smooth. These 2 parts combined are the "Front Logic Displays" for R2-D2 and together printed in 1.5hours.

I think the printer will be running for about 7 days, 12 hours a day to get all the parts printed.

Enjoy :)

C6lmKs8.jpg

Now this is something i never expected to see

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

What and why?

A PC build into an R2 D2.

I love you PC modding community, never change

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

A PC build into an R2 D2.

I love you PC modding community, never change

There's been a few done but I don't think at 1:1. It's turning into a big project. I hope he likes it!

*drools

Can't wait...any ETA?

No ETA as yet, parts are taking a long time to print and a lot of unsuccessful prints because I don't really know what im doing. That's the main holdup right now.

I guess a great friend also has a great friend in you holy cow. Exited for this

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

I am so following this!

NZXT H440   //   MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC   //   i5 4670K   //   MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB   //   HyperX Beast 8GB 2400mhz   //   OCZ Agility

• 9 months later...

I'm ready to see this moving forward again! Followed!

Me to! So much moving around the country has really rocked this year. (4 houses in 12 months and moving from one side of the country to the other)

R2-D2 is currently all boxed up, no reason why I cant start gluing it together :) Quick interaction, with lots of waiting.