980 g1 gaming 2nd bios?

WhiteSkyMage

Gigabyte is saying that this card has 2 bioses on their site... So, how do i switch on the 2nd one?

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

"The G1 Gaming graphics cards also feature DualBIOS for a reliable backup. Ultra Durable components provide improved stability and power efficiency, ensuring that all overclocking adventure is an easy, joyful ride."

Thats the one...

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

The G1 gaming does indeed have a Dual BIOS but there's no switch. At least i don't think so. 

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=396964

That's how it is done apparently if you want to flash both BIOS.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Interesting. But what a strange way to implement dual bios.

Although the G1 secondary BIOS is for backup. It isn't like the Hall Of Fame or Classified cards where there second or third BIOS is a overclocking BIOS. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Ok...im still safe then... I wanted 2 bios for the safety of overclocking...

If you do not have the knowledge how to modify a BIOS the right way for a GPU and you only use air cooling I wouldn´t do it. There are a ton of good modified BIOS out the for the GTX980 G1. Your dual BIOS won´t help you any more if you fry the chip on air.

We have a guy here in the forum that recently wouldn´t listen and fried his GPUs...

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

If you do not have the knowledge how to modify a BIOS the right way for a GPU and you only use air cooling I wouldn´t do it. There are a ton of good modified BIOS out the for the GTX980 G1. Your dual BIOS won´t help you any more if you fry the chip on air.

We have a guy here in the forum that recently wouldn´t listen and fried his GPUs...

Dont worry, i wont modify it... I will give that card to my sister when 980Ti comes out... I need more Vram for 4K gaming. I know one 980 ti wont do it at 60fps but when i sli it, i do not want a bottleneck with vram...i hope it comes with 6 or 8 gb... Both will be sufficient..

Dont worry, i wont modify it... I will give that card to my sister when 980Ti comes out... I need more Vram for 4K gaming. I know one 980 ti wont do it at 60fps but when i sli it, i do not want a bottleneck with vram...i hope it comes with 6 or 8 gb... Both will be sufficient..

Well sounds reasonable :).

To your thoughts about the GM200 chip. It is, througout all the leaks and official introduction of Quadro M6000, likely that the next highend card from nVidia will have a 384Bit MI. That means we could see cards with 6-12GB VRAM :). That would be very good, because GM200 in SLI will have enough raw computing power for 4K and would be perfectly complimented through at elast 6GB VRAM.

I´m really waiting on these cards hehe.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Well sounds reasonable :).

To your thoughts about the GM200 chip. It is, througout all the leaks and official introduction of Quadro M6000, likely that the next highend card from nVidia will have a 384Bit MI. That means we could see cards with 6-12GB VRAM :). That would be very good, because GM200 in SLI will have enough raw computing power for 4K and would be perfectly complimented through at elast 6GB VRAM.

I´m really waiting on these cards hehe.

Yeah... I wonder if however my sister can use that 3D vision on a 144Hz screen with just one 980...but even if not, she will be happy with it for the next 3 years on 1080p... I just bought it to test it on 4K but seems like, still not there yet...SLI is really needed for 4K and seeing from benchmark, even if i sli that card, it still be close to 60FPS but not exact on AAA titles... GM200 in sli will make sure it stays there. :)

You see, the other option which i have is buy another 980 and sli it with mine both on watercooling. But then look at games like BF4, ACU, Skyrim (moded), Fallout 3 and new vegas (modded), and big beast - Shadow of Mordor.... Do you think those game will not suck vram like crazy once you run them on 4k, mod them to 4k textures (which i will surely do to GTA 5 and Skyrim).... Makes 4GB vram seem like half a meal for a hungry wolf!

Dual BIOS, but it depends on how you connect it. No switch.

Intel i7-5820K@4.5Ghz // Corsair Hydro H80i // ASUS X99 Deluxe // G.SKILL Ribjaws 4 DDR4 16GB@2400MHz 13-13-13-35 // Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Bose Companion 3 II // Samsung 850 Pro 256GB // Corsair AX750