Which drivers do I need?

-ism

Hey peeps, not sure if this should go here or the software section... are drivers considered software? Anyways...

I'm getting my Asrock Z77 Extreme4 on monday and I was wondering which drivers are essential. I don't want any of that VirtuMVP or any other goofy ass programs I just want stock base settings.

Here's the driver site: http://www.asrock.com/MB/overview.asp?cat=Download&os=Win764&Model=Z77%20Extreme4

I know I obviously need the LAN driver and Audio and VGA and USB but... idk I'm just nervous as this is my first rig. Should I download both USB drivers as there are Asrocks and Intel drivers? What is the INF driver?

Help a new builder please >_<

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

I wouldn't even install any of those drivers until after you install an OS. Windows took care of my drivers, so what I would say is install your OS then install the drivers for whatever is missing. I had to install battery drivers for one of my Lenovo Laptops because Windows did not auto install them.

On a side note, calm down. I think you are the same person who was worried about Newegg shipping, just take a break and do something else. I know the feeling of waiting around for packages, just do something else to fill the time (TV, video games, etc).

I wouldn't even install any of those drivers until after you install an OS. Windows took care of my drivers, so what I would say is install your OS then install the drivers for whatever is missing. I had to install battery drivers for one of my Lenovo Laptops because Windows did not auto install them.

On a side note, calm down. I think you are the same person who was worried about Newegg shipping, just take a break and do something else. I know the feeling of waiting around for packages, just do something else to fill the time (TV, video games, etc).

This is my first custom rig from the ground up I just really don't wanna screw it up or be left scratching my head for hours on end. :P Of course I would install the OS first!

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

Official drivers > generic Windows drivers, not sure what KingLinkTiger is talking about.

As for what you need, grab LAN, audio, SATA 3, both USB 3. Thats all I'd get.

There isn't much to screw up when you have a fresh install, you could just re-install and nothing of value would be lost.

Official drivers > generic Windows drivers' date=' not sure what KingLinkTiger is talking about. As for what you need, grab LAN, audio, SATA 3, both USB 3. Thats all I'd get. [/quote']

New person worried about what drivers to install.

Suggest that they don't have to worry about drivers due to generic windows ones.

This gave him one less thing to worry about.

Official drivers > generic Windows drivers' date=' not sure what KingLinkTiger is talking about. As for what you need, grab LAN, audio, SATA 3, both USB 3. Thats all I'd get. [/quote']

Do the INF drivers mean anything? I read that they help the mobo find components or something like that... all videos I've seen people have never installed them though.

Also doesn't AppCharger make your USB ports give more power for charging phones and junk? Should I have that?

Official drivers > generic Windows drivers' date=' not sure what KingLinkTiger is talking about. As for what you need, grab LAN, audio, SATA 3, both USB 3. Thats all I'd get. [/quote'] New person worried about what drivers to install. Suggest that they don't have to worry about drivers due to generic windows ones. This gave him one less thing to worry about.

He just doesn't want bloatware on his computer. At least from how I read it. Its a hassle to redo everything.

Official drivers > generic Windows drivers' date=' not sure what KingLinkTiger is talking about. As for what you need, grab LAN, audio, SATA 3, both USB 3. Thats all I'd get. [/quote'] Do the INF drivers mean anything? I read that they help the mobo find components or something like that... all videos I've seen people have never installed them though. Also doesn't AppCharger make your USB ports give more power for charging phones and junk? Should I have that?

Grab the INF drivers if you want, they won't add anything bloaty to the system, but they may or may not be beneficial to your particular setup, I have never installed them. If you have a use for the charge ports, sure. However all the AppCharger does is make your stuff charge faster.... and slower charging is actually more beneficial to the extended battery life of the device.

Official drivers > generic Windows drivers' date=' not sure what KingLinkTiger is talking about. As for what you need, grab LAN, audio, SATA 3, both USB 3. Thats all I'd get. [/quote'] New person worried about what drivers to install. Suggest that they don't have to worry about drivers due to generic windows ones. This gave him one less thing to worry about.

The 'in-the-box' Windows drivers aren't fantastic at times though, you really want to install the correct drivers for things like your sata controllers / chipset because the generic ones provided by Windows can really dent your performance.

AppCharger is okay if you are using ports for charging devices, otherwise its redundant.

Here is what I would download from that list:

Realtek high definition audio driver

CIR receiver driver

INF driver

Intel Management Interface driver

Broadcom Lan driver

AppCharger

AsMedia USB 3.0 driver

Intel USB 3.0 driver

VGA driver (unless you have onboard VGA disabled, in which case its not necessary).

I would do a bit of research on Intel Rapid Start Utility and Smart Connect Utility to see whether you can make use of them / see if they are useful to you.

Hope this helps!

install windows OS

then get any of the special drives and software that the motherboard need to work work.

for example

audio drivers ( realteck or something like that)

USB 3 controller drivers (asmedia)

any motherboard utilitys (asus AI suite)

stuff like that are your major concerns should be.

Just grab all the drivers except the ones labeled "other."

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide