Does anyone know what technology is IPS-ADS?

PSenapus

Hello and happy holidays to everyone.

I gifted myself a secondary monitor this christmas, a Philips 247E6

It was cheap, about 120 euro, so I went yolo.

I already had a Philips 240P4 which is a more expensive IPS panel and when I set up the secondary monitor i could notice in an instant that (even after calibration) the 247E6 looks colder, with greyer blacks and greener, less saturated colors.

The Philips 247E6 is advertised as IPS-ADS technology but I can not find anything about it other than the acronym means ADvanced Super Dimension Switch.

Prad.de lists a Terra display with the same technology and a ViewSonic with a ADS technology which is actually another acronym that stands for (Advanced PLS).

In a Prad.de article the Terra 2455W is said to have an ADS panel with and IPS technology together. Does it make any sense to you?

I have found the patent on the ADS technology manufacturing process but I can't understand what it's written inside of the document, it's way too technical for me.

Does anyone know what the technology actually is?

Is it an actual IPS panel or something different?

"Gerard if you're watching I'll see you at the usual spot in 10 minutes, if you know what I mean." Linus Sebastian, 2014.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

In 2012 some PLS based screens started to be marketed using the "AD-PLS" name. It is unclear what is supposed to have changed, if anything, with these recent panel variants. We suspect this is just a marketing name designed to keep up with LG.Display's change to the "Advanced High-Performance IPS (AH-IPS)" name from the same time. Performance characteristics remain as described in the PLS section above.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Yes I read that, but I don't think it's the same. PLS is manufactured by Samsung IIRC while Philips along with LG developed the IPS technology, I don't think they have started selling pentented samsung products now.

"Gerard if you're watching I'll see you at the usual spot in 10 minutes, if you know what I mean." Linus Sebastian, 2014.

Yep, I read this one too, I'm confused though, do you think the monitor I got is actually IPS or just TN using ADS technology to make it look like an IPS display?

Since ADS improves colors and viewing angles could it be a concealed TN panel?

It seems strange to me that an old school IPS panel (not any of the super IPS variants) looks "better" than an ADS-IPS display.

Or maybe the new one looks better and I can't figure out which of the 2 is better because I paid more than double for the old IPS one...

Sigh, technology is fucking with me