Asus Maximus VII Hero Q Code Error "99"

Hey there everyone.. I'm in kind of a state of despair right now.

Today for Christmas, I got my dream PC. 

i5 4690k

MSI Gtx 970

8 gigs of RAM, all the good stuff.

I got everything set up, the CPU Fan is working, GPU is working, everything is fine.

But when I try to hook it up to the monitor, I get "No Signal" 

On the Q Code error thing, it says 99. I'm using the VGI port; GPU to the monitor. 

The Motherboard doesn't even boot. I don't even get a BIOS, just a monitor that says "No Signal".

Someone please help me. I'm really down right now and I'd like to find a fix.

My baby| CPU: Core i5-4690K  |  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  |  CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus |   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | GPU: MSI R9 390  |  RAM: 16 GB - G.Skill Ripjaws X |

We brawlers are sustained by willpower, even if mocked as reckless and crazy! - Kamina

what is your video card model

your using a vga or dvi cable?

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Was it already configured with an OS or did you get it in parts?

Try unplugging the 970 and see if it posts with integrated graphics.

I built everything. No OS loaded! I tried unplugging the 970.

My baby| CPU: Core i5-4690K  |  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  |  CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus |   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | GPU: MSI R9 390  |  RAM: 16 GB - G.Skill Ripjaws X |

We brawlers are sustained by willpower, even if mocked as reckless and crazy! - Kamina

what is your video card model

your using a vga or dvi cable?

I'm using a VGA cable, but on the 970 is says "VGI-I"

I'm using a VGA cable, but on the 970 is says "VGI-I"

have you tried a digital connection?

Power-cycle your mainboard and unplug your hard drives. Also check all power connections again and let your computer run for a minute or two. First post ca take a while.

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

have you tried a digital connection?

Power-cycle your mainboard and unplug your hard drives. Also check all power connections again and let your computer run for a minute or two. First post ca take a while.

Alright, I'll try that. Some people are saying the error code "99" means a faulty board. Is that true?

Alright, I'll try that. Some people are saying the error code "99" means a faulty board. Is that true?

Handbook says it's super IO initialization; that could be anything.

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

Handbook says it's super IO initialization; that could be anything.

Nothing. I reattached everything. Power cycled it. It's just sitting with "99" and the monitor says no signal. It's weird, because it couldn't be a faulty motherboard. Everything works, except for the display. USBs are working, cpu and gpu fans are working. I'm extremely confused.

Nothing. I reattached everything. Power cycled it. It's just sitting with "99" and the monitor says no signal. It's weird, because it couldn't be a faulty motherboard. Everything works, except for the display. USBs are working, cpu and gpu fans are working. I'm extremely confused.

I would try bios flash back and install the latest bios

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

beats me.

and just because it delivers power doesn't mean it works. Since the mainboard doesn't beep I expect you haven't done something terribly wrong to it.

Clear CMOS.

If that didn't work try to flash your BIOS with the newest version from asus via that button on your IO panel. (refer to your handbook)

If it's still not working repeat process with all other BIOS versions available.

Other than that, it would be a good idea to contact support by now.  :lol:

Wish you luck.

The video cable you are using, is it brand new or has it worked in the past?

If it is not verified as functional then try a different cable, go borrow one from the neighbors if necessary.

Edit:  Also, are any QLEDs lit up (the ones next to the 24 pin power connector)?

I RMAed the motherboard. I've tried everything and I can't get anything to work. I can only suspect that it's the motherboard that is faulty. Hopefully a new one will help.

I would try bios flash back and install the latest bios

I can't flash the bios if I can't even get INTO the bios. xD I don't get ANYTHING on the monitor. Just "No Signal".

I can't flash the bios if I can't even get INTO the bios. xD I don't get ANYTHING on the monitor. Just "No Signal".

USB BIOS FLASHBACK

download bios file

rename it using the tool

put it on a usb thumb drive

insert the thumb drive into corresponding usb port

with the system powered off hold the flashback button for 5 seconds

USB BIOS FLASHBACK

download bios file

rename it using the tool

put it on a usb thumb drive

insert the thumb drive into corresponding usb port

with the system powered off hold the flashback button for 5 seconds

Lemme try that.

Hey there everyone.. I'm in kind of a state of despair right now.

Today for Christmas, I got my dream PC. 

i5 4690k

MSI Gtx 970

8 gigs of RAM, all the good stuff.

I got everything set up, the CPU Fan is working, GPU is working, everything is fine.

But when I try to hook it up to the monitor, I get "No Signal" 

On the Q Code error thing, it says 99. I'm using the VGI port; GPU to the monitor. 

The Motherboard doesn't even boot. I don't even get a BIOS, just a monitor that says "No Signal".

Someone please help me. I'm really down right now and I'd like to find a fix.

I'm assuming you plugged into the video card? If so, plug your monitor into the onboard graphics and try again. I do my first boot with the bare minimum plugged in. I don't plug in the video card until after i successfully post. This cuts down the number of items to troubleshoot if it doesn't post. My suggestion is to unplug the gpu if not remove it entirely. Get the system to POST succesfully. Then install the OS. Once the OS is installed, then plug in that shiny new gpu. If you do this you will see where the problem lies. Technically, you will know as soon as you try to POST while using the onboard video output. If using onboard still gets nothing (assuming you used a known working monitor and video cable), then the problem lies in the mobo/cpu/ram area. If you do get video output double check that your gpu is properly seated, has power, and that all you plugs are well seated. If you still don't get video from your gpu at this point; i would suspect the gpu to be faulty.

• 1 year later...