PC won't boot. F2 Debug error z97 msi gaming 5

naraic12

Everything was working fine until I tried to update the BIOS via msi live update.  Now my computer is on a constant loop.  Nothing appears on the screen.  I tried clearing the CMOS. I unplugged everything, I tried booting with one only one stick of ram installed.  It's probably worth mentioning that I just installed windows 8.1 today as well.  Everything was working fine on 7 home premium for six months before this.  

Anyway my rig is as follows:

Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5

CPU: Intel i7 4790k

RAM: Corsair vengence 4x4GB

PSU: Superflower 850w gold

GPU: MSI Geeforce GTX 760 4GB x2 sli

Any ideas would be appreciated!!!

Check which drive is set as boot drive, if you know where your windows is located make sure you boot on it, when i bios updated it set it to use my storage drive as boot which does not have windows installed and i was a bit preplexed

See if you can get into your motherboard's BIOS. If that works, then it's fine and your problem is software not firmware. Whenever I hear "I did a bios update on my motherboard" that sometimes causes me to worry, because if its ever interrupted you just bricked your MoBo unless you have dual bios and you'll have to RMA it.

When you say constant loop, are you booting in and then restarting?

I had a similar problem with the 4790k with win7 on a msi m87 board. Turned out it was actually an external USB bluetooth adapter that stopped my computer form booting :/

Thanks for the feedback,

Unfortunately I can't get into the BIOS to set up a boot drive.  Everything turns on, but nothing appears on the monitor.  I keep getting a debug code of 36 on the MoBo's debug LED which after a few seconds reverts to F2 for a couple of minutes. After which it shuts itself down and starts the whole process again.