Looking to Build a Home Server

TheToxicgamer97

Hey Everyone,

I am looking to build a home server using FreeNAS. My main concern is what to do as far as hardware goes. Do I need a server processor and board? Or can I use a regular processor/board combo? I want to build in a Cooler Master HAF 915F (with a 915R for drives) so a mini ITX is a must. Also, how much ram do I need, and do I need an aftermarket cooler for the cpu? What even is a raid card? and do I need that??

Thanks in advance  :D

Afterthought: how much power will I need?

for just free nas cheap out on the cpu and mobo just get plenty of storage and get a gigabit nic

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

for just free nas cheap out on the cpu and mobo just get plenty of storage and get a gigabit nic

so it doesn't have to be server grade? and I should get a nic instead of a raid card?

so it doesn't have to be server grade? and I should get a nic instead of a raid card?

I would say so

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

You don't need special hardware for FreeNAS.

A buddy of mine uses FreeNAS on his old rig, with an undervolted FX6100, 8GB ram & a HD6670. Currently run Teamspeak 3 off of it, and he stores a lot of stuff on it - movies, tv series, backups etc. He threw in 3x 3TB WD Red drives. 

Now and again we use it as a small game server too, but only for ~4 people.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

A buddy of mine uses FreeNAS on his old rig, with an undervolted FX6100, 8GB ram & a HD6670. Currently run Teamspeak 3 off of it, and he stores a lot of stuff on it - movies, tv series, backups etc. He threw in 3x 3TB WD Red drives. 

okay sweet thanks so much!  :D

You can run a server on pretty much anything.

My home server is my old rig running Debian (located in sig), and runs great.

Happy building :)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

You can run a server on pretty much anything.

My home server is my old rig running Debian (located in sig), and runs great.

Happy building :)

I mean to sound like a nub, but what are the benefits of nic? what if I want to add more drives than my MOBO supports?

I mean to sound like a nub, but what are the benefits of nic? what if I want to add more drives than my MOBO supports?

1.faster transfers

2. USB/expansion cards

A NIC is a Network Interface Card. If you get a gigabit NIC (the standard nowadays), then it will likely perform the same or similarly to the on board NIC (basically, they give you more ethernet connections). If your motherboard has a poorly performing NIC (which can happen with some 3rd party NICs), then a PCI-e NIC may perform better.

If you want to attach more drives to your server than your motherboard has ports for, you're probably looking at a RAID card/SATA card.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

You don't need any special as long as you don't use ZFS (then you need ECC RAM and a motherboard that supports it). Just grab a cheap Intel Pentium processor that doesn't use a lot of power, a decent power supply with as many SATA power cables as possible, cheap motherboard with a lot of SATA port and like 2 GB RAM.

You don't need any special as long as you don't use ZFS (then you need ECC RAM and a motherboard that supports it). Just grab a cheap Intel Pentium processor that doesn't use a lot of power, a decent power supply with as many SATA power cables as possible, cheap motherboard with a lot of SATA port and like 2 GB RAM.

Not true.

You can run ZFS as long as you have 8GB of ram minimum. Does not matter if you have ECC or not.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Not true.

You can run ZFS as long as you have 8GB of ram minimum. Does not matter if you have ECC or not.

Its recommended that you use ECC ram if you are running ZFS. You also should have 1GB of ram available per 1TB of storage.

15" MBP TB

Its recommended that you use ECC ram if you are running ZFS. You also should have 1GB of ram available per 1TB of storage.

That is true.

But its not required.

I ran ZFS with 8GB of non ECC RAM for over a year and never had an issue. 

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

That is true.

But its not required.

I ran ZFS with 8GB of non ECC RAM for over a year and never had an issue.

I know, but it is recommended. I too have run ZFS without ECC ram.

I've heard that the people on the FreeNAS forum are usually unwilling to help people with less than 8GB of ram, or running non-ECC ram.

OP: is there a specific reason why you want to go with FreeNAS?

15" MBP TB

I know, but it is recommended. I too have run ZFS without ECC ram.

I've heard that the people on the FreeNAS forum are usually unwilling to help people with less than 8GB of ram, or running non-ECC ram.

OP: is there a specific reason why you want to go with FreeNAS?

It's free xD  What is ZFS? and what is the difference between ECC ram and normal ram. I have 8GB picked out now, should I go 2 or 8??