Can someone help me debug this code?

faftek
Go to solution Solved by faftek,

Do you know that line of code is causing the exception or event the array that is causing the out of bounds error? It looks like there is a lot of stuff going on and just a quick read, I can't really tell what is going on. Little tip if you don't know where the exception is going on, a decent debug method is called probing. All it is, is putting println statements in your code to see how far the code makes it before breaking or even printing out array values to make sure that they are correct.

I actually figured out my error was due to a logic bug :S the X and Y were supposed to be switched. fixed that and switched one of the test method and all works now :D

I'm currently working on a program, and I've got this 95%+ done just for some reason when there are randomly generated 2D arrays an index out of bounds exception is returned. If there is no index out of bounds error then this code works perfectly. I am appreciative to any advice and/or help I recieve and thanks in advance :) (sorry if it's kinda shit as of now I tend to make the code work then go back and make it pretty)

**forgot to mention in the header this is in java

public static int[][] answer(int[][] population, int x, int y, int strength) {        Values = population;        currentX = x;        currentY = y;        testX = new ArrayList();        testY = new ArrayList();        //instantiate spotsDone        for (int j = 0; j < Values.length; j++) {            spotsDone = new boolean[Values.length][Values[j].length];        }                //set initial values for spotsDone        for (int i = 0; i < spotsDone.length; i++) {            for (int j = 0; j < spotsDone[i].length; j++) {                spotsDone[i][j] = false;            }        }        //check if first value matches if yes begin testing        if (strength >= Values[x][y]) {            Values[x][y] = -1;            test(strength, x, y);        }        return Values;    }    public static boolean test(int strength, int x, int y) {        //test first scenarios        testLeft(strength);        currentX = x;        currentY = y;        testRight(strength);        currentX = x;        currentY = y;        testUp(strength);        currentX = x;        currentY = y;        testDown(strength);                //tests every place marked to be tested        while (!testX.isEmpty()) {            currentX = (int) testX.get(0);            currentY = (int) testY.get(0);            testLeft(strength);            currentX = (int) testX.get(0);            currentY = (int) testY.get(0);            testRight(strength);            currentX = (int) testX.get(0);            currentY = (int) testY.get(0);            testUp(strength);            currentX = (int) testX.get(0);            currentY = (int) testY.get(0);            testDown(strength);            testX.remove(0);            testY.remove(0);        }        return false;    }    //tests if spots above in grid    public static void testUp(int strength) {        if (currentX > 0) {            currentX -= 1;        }        if (spotsDone[currentX][currentY]) {            return;        }        spotsDone[currentX][currentY] = true;        if (Values[currentX][currentY] <= strength) {            Values[currentX][currentY] = -1;            testX.add(currentX);            testY.add(currentY);        }    }    //tests spots below in grid    public static void testDown(int strength) {        if (currentX < Values.length - 1) {            currentX += 1;        }        if (spotsDone[currentX][currentY]) {            return;        }        spotsDone[currentX][currentY] = true;        if (Values[currentX][currentY] <= strength) {            Values[currentX][currentY] = -1;            testX.add(currentX);            testY.add(currentY);        }    }    //tests spots left in grid    public static void testLeft(int strength) {        if (currentY > 0) {            currentY -= 1;        }        if (spotsDone[currentX][currentY]) {            return;        }        spotsDone[currentX][currentY] = true;        if (Values[currentX][currentY] <= strength) {            Values[currentX][currentY] = -1;            testX.add(currentX);            testY.add(currentY);        }    }    //tests spots right in grid    public static void testRight(int strength) {        if (Values.length != 1) {            if (currentY > 0) {                if (currentY < Values[currentY + 1].length - 1 && currentY < Values[currentY].length - 1 && currentY < Values[currentY - 1].length - 1) {                    currentY += 1;                }            } else {                if (currentY < Values[currentY + 1].length - 1 && currentY < Values[currentY].length - 1) {                    currentY += 1;                }            }        }        if (spotsDone[currentX][currentY]) {            return;        }        spotsDone[currentX][currentY] = true;        if (Values[currentX][currentY] <= strength) {            Values[currentX][currentY] = -1;            testX.add(currentX);            testY.add(currentY);        }    }

Do you know that line of code is causing the exception or event the array that is causing the out of bounds error? It looks like there is a lot of stuff going on and just a quick read, I can't really tell what is going on. Little tip if you don't know where the exception is going on, a decent debug method is called probing. All it is, is putting println statements in your code to see how far the code makes it before breaking or even printing out array values to make sure that they are correct.

I actually figured out my error was due to a logic bug :S the X and Y were supposed to be switched. fixed that and switched one of the test method and all works now :D