Low Budget Gaming Build

FattyDave

Keep meaning to post my personal build but it keeps breaking so haven't got round to it yet!

My friend is joining me on PC gaming and wants a rig to play on, wanted to get some feedback on the parts I've picked and then I'll post pics once bought if anyone is interested.

CPU: Intel i5-3350P
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 4GB
HDD: Seagate Barrauda 1TB
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB
PSU : Corsair Builder 430W
Case: Enermax ECA3250-BW

He gave a budget of about £600ish including a monitor. He wants a 24" so they cost around £120 so I'm aiming for under 500.

This comes to £505 sourcing from scan.co.uk but am aware they are probs not the cheapest.

Any advice is welcome. :)

Never actually heard of a 3350P until now, anyone know if it's any good?

Thanks!

###################UPDATED######################

Thanks again everyone for your advise. See below a alternative and I agree better build spec

CPU: AMD FX 6300 Black edition £88.36
Board: ASRock 970 Extreme4 £76.76
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 8GB £58.56
HDD: Seagate 500Gb Barracuda £39.23
GPU: XFX Radeon 7870 2GB £159.89
PSU: XFX PRO550S-XXB9 £47.10
Case: Cooler Master CM Force 500 £33.58
A cheap DVD RW and a BenQ 24" monitor £123.25
Total: £626.73

Lovely the price of AMD chips and it seems it will still be pretty speedy.
Can probs convince him he doesn't need an ODD so will be just amount on budget.

I presume the FX6300 comes with a cooler? and that it's usable (for now)

Any last suggestions or adjustments?

Thanks again

Isnt that CPU a Mobile CPU? cause FCLGA1155 isnt LGA1155 and you may want a slightly stronger PSU like 500w 550w. for gaming you will want more than 4gb of ram imo more slower ram is better than less faster ram. And go haswell maybe, prices are almost exactly the same.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Looks pretty good. For a budget build I would usually recommend AMD though. Their processors are usually better value for the money and the motherboards are cheaper as well. Could put that extra money towards getting 8gb of RAM

The CPU is not a mobile CPU just to clear things up. If you are going to be getting the 3350P keep in mind you MUST have a discrete graphics card otherwise it will not display anything because the CPU does NOT have integrated graphics. The 3350P CPU also cannot overclock well and the stock cooler is extremely loud (Like all stock coolers). 

For a more budget orientated PC, I recommend the AMD side of CPU's because they are a fair bit cheaper and still performs nearly the same.   

If the PC is only for gaming, 1TB of mass storage is not needed. A 500GB or 750GB will be more than enough, reduce the cost of things that are not needed and try to get a SSD for boot. 

8GB of RAM would be nice for a future-proof gaming PC. 

Get a B75 or H61 board, a bigger PSU cheaper case, and a 7870 :)

I think you should go AMD.

Processor =  AMD FX-6300 FX-Series Six-Core Processor Edition, Black AM3 FD6300WMHKBOX = $119.99 http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FX-Series-Six-Core-Processor-FD6300WMHKBOX/dp/B009O7YORK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371215035&sr=8-1&keywords=6300

Motherboard = GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard = $137.99 http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-990FXA-UD3-990FX-SATA-Motherboard/dp/B0055QYKQO/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371215064&sr=1-7&keywords=am3%2B+motherboard

and everything else that you have as your choices and bam way better. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I think you should go AMD.

Processor =  AMD FX-6300 FX-Series Six-Core Processor Edition, Black AM3 FD6300WMHKBOX = $119.99 http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FX-Series-Six-Core-Processor-FD6300WMHKBOX/dp/B009O7YORK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371215035&sr=8-1&keywords=6300

Motherboard = GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard = $137.99 http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-990FXA-UD3-990FX-SATA-Motherboard/dp/B0055QYKQO/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371215064&sr=1-7&keywords=am3%2B+motherboard

and everything else that you have as your choices and bam way better. 

No offense but thats a little steep for a mobo in a budget build. something around £60 (check my $ to £ here) will do the job they need just as well and the extra money could go to the rest of the build

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280 Is almost half the price of the one you listed and still great quality

No offense but thats a little steep for a mobo in a budget build. something around £60 (check my $ to £ here) will do the job they need just as well and the extra money could go to the rest of the build

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280 Is almost half the price of the one you listed and still great quality

Yes i saw that motherboard too. Sometimes cheaper isn't always better and if you do a calculation of the price of his motherboard and CPU choice and my choices you will see that he will save money and the board that i chose is newer than your choice but it is up to him.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

This is all great guys. Thank you so much.

I have never built with AMD before, but that is no reason not to try. I will have a look later and update this thread with a new part list.

Thanks again

First of all:

For budget gaming rigs, go AMD, Intel isn't great value for money. Get a FX 4300/6300 and a cheap but DECENT Motherboard.

Use the money saved from going AMD to get a bigger power supply, you're cutting it a little too fine for comfort there. (500W or 550W should do nicely).

Go with a 500/750GB HDD and put the money towards 8GB of RAM. (For most modern games it's really considered the minimum)

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Just a reallocation suggestion, I would say spend less money on the graphics card and more on the cpu. when the price difference is that much you will probably get bottlenecking in games. 

The specs you got posted above are great!