970 Strix or G1 Gaming and why?

DaKi_B

what cooler do you have?? it should be fine to oc it at least by .2 Ghz over the turbo boost setting regarless of what your cooler is

I'd go G1 because of the binned GPU and more I/O however I prefer the ASUS brand and think the Strix looks sexier...

You only consider the Strix for the following reasons; size, aesthetics and cost. The G1 cools the best, clocks higher and has the best I/O of any current GTX 970. The biggest downfall is if you have size limitations, budget or you're not a fan of the styling. There is no other reasoning outside of fanboyism. You get the Strix if it's to save money (at least where I live, the G1 is more expensive) or if you have length restrictions. Otherwise, you go G1.

what cooler do you have?? it should be fine to oc it at least by .2 Ghz over the turbo boost setting regarless of what your cooler is

Still using stock :P Planning to get the Hyper 212 EVO or maybe liquid cooling. I haven't overclocked before so I don't really know what to go for as in what clock rate I should oc to but I've heard very good things about the Hyper 212. All I know is that my CPU temp should not go above 90 on full load.

Well keep the voltage low and i bet you can get to 4.0 easy on the stock, that might be your turbo boost so aim for 4.2, keep your voltages low and set your fan curve for about 70% at 55 C and 100% at 60. At most your cpu should be 50 under heavy gaming in a hot room 25-27 C