CPU Fan Error - Asus Motherboard

Hello guys.

So I bought this Asus motherboard, but it wont let me go further than the BIOS.

It keeps telling me CPU fan error, and I don't know what to do

I'm running with a Phantek Enthoo Pro and using the fan controller from the case, and running a H105. Yet it won't let me through. Also it doesn't tell me a CPU fan in Qfan control.

please, please help me

-snip-

happened to me set the cpu fan 1 to ignore and continue bootup also is it the sabertooth z97 mark 1

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Hello guys.

So I bought this Asus motherboard, but it wont let me go further than the BIOS.

It keeps telling me CPU fan error, and I don't know what to do

I'm running with a Phantek Enthoo Pro and using the fan controller from the case, and running a H105. Yet it won't let me through. Also it doesn't tell me a CPU fan in Qfan control.

please, please help me

If the ASUS doesn't sense a CPU fan it will not boot OS. You can do one of two things, 1) make sure there is a fan header plugged into the CPU_Fan header on the board, or 2) Go into your BIOS's QFan control (I believe) and under CPU_Fan click the drop down menu and choose "Ignore"

If #2's directions are inaccurate from my lack of long term memory let me know and I'll grab some screen shots from my BIOS for exactly where the "Ignore" option is located.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Confirm that the fan is actually running and if it is set the fan speed for the CPU to be ignored in the bios. This happens to me on my Sabertooth Z77

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

It worked! thanks a lot, haha :) I'm not getting the cpu fan message anymore... Now it wont let me go through the BIOS anyways. I'm starting my PC up, I see the ASUS logo really quick and then it just loads a bit with black screen and goes directly to BIOS.

I have my SSD as my boot drive.

Confirm that the fan is actually running and if it is set the fan speed for the CPU to be ignored in the bios. This happens to me on my Sabertooth Z77

If the ASUS doesn't sense a CPU fan it will not boot OS. You can do one of two things, 1) make sure there is a fan header plugged into the CPU_Fan header on the board, or 2) Go into your BIOS's QFan control (I believe) and under CPU_Fan click the drop down menu and choose "Ignore"

If #2's directions are inaccurate from my lack of long term memory let me know and I'll grab some screen shots from my BIOS for exactly where the "Ignore" option is located.

happened to me set the cpu fan 1 to ignore and continue bootup also is it the sabertooth z97 mark 1

I don't think I would recommend running the CPU-Fan controlled manually, though. Case fans, yes (I prefer running them via BIOS/Software, too). But I'd let the computer cool the CPU by itself depending on temp(=load).

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

I don't think I would recommend running the CPU-Fan controlled manually, though. Case fans, yes (I prefer running them via BIOS/Software, too). But I'd let the computer cool the CPU by itself depending on temp(=load).

Well I got past that stage. Now I'm just in a new problem. I can't get through BIOS settings. It just directs me to there, without me doing anything. I'm just turning on my computer with keyboard, and so on, and gets me to bios with the error "AE" on my motherboard

Well I got past that stage. Now I'm just in a new problem. I can't get through BIOS settings. It just directs me to there, without me doing anything. I'm just turning on my computer with keyboard, and so on, and gets me to bios with the error "AE" on my motherboard

Are you trying to install the OS? What media is the OS install on? (USB/CD/DVD?)

Few things to make sure of,

1) Within the BIOS make sure the HDD/SSD's are set to AHCI and not IDE or some other setting

2) Save and exit BIOS

3) Boot back into BIOS

4) Go to the Boot section in the UEFI

5) Find the "Boot Override" listing

6) Choose the appropriate device to boot from and click it, should jump you right into the OS install screen

After the OS is installed go back into the BIOS and make sure your Boot priorities are in the correct order for normal operation.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Are you trying to install the OS? What media is the OS install on? (USB/CD/DVD?)

1) Within the BIOS make sure the HDD/SSD's are set to AHCI and not IDE or some other setting

2) Save and exit BIOS

3) Boot back into BIOS

6) Choose the appropriate device to boot from and click it, should jump you right into the OS install screen

After the OS is installed go back into the BIOS and make sure your Boot priorities are in the correct order for normal operation.

I have my windows on my SSD, and it's being regonized in the BIOS too. And set to #1 boot

But still have my windows disc, so I can try to reinstall if that helps.

You got the error to disappear, yes. You still might end up getting much higher temps than necessary, when you set the CPU cooling manually...

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

You got the error to disappear, yes. You still might end up getting much higher temps than necessary, when you set the CPU cooling manually...

Idle I got about 32C. But that's not the issue now, Now I just can't get past the BIOS screen.

2) Save and exit BIOS

3) Boot back into BIOS

does it make a difference that it says E instead of P infront of the drives? I think it's just some of the sata connecters I have.

does it make a difference that it says E instead of P infront of the drives? I think it's just some of the sata connecters I have.

It shouldn't matter too much, but is your windows SSD plugged into an intel sata port?  I don't know what that E/P means off the top of my head.  Try a different sata cable, sometimes those things go screwy.  

Was the windows installed in AHCI mode or RAID mode?  Make sure that the bios setting is the same as when you installed it.  

Edit:  Which motherboard is this again?

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

Tried connecting a 3 pin (not 4pin) in the CPU_Fan header so the error won't show up so you can get in the bios? Alternate between different cpu_fan headers btw if the error didn't go away

It shouldn't matter too much, but is your windows SSD plugged into an intel sata port?  I don't know what that E/P means off the top of my head.  Try a different sata cable, sometimes those things go screwy.  

Was the windows installed in AHCI mode or RAID mode?  Make sure that the bios setting is the same as when you installed it.  

Edit:  Which motherboard is this again?

I got a Asus Maximuss VII Formula.

I just tried with a DVD to get my windows on my SSD again, but it won't even read that. It's brand new and tried a few:

It just goes on the splash screen, a flashing _ goes on for a bit and then it just goes into BIOS and then I'm stuck in here.

I got a Asus Maximuss VII Formula.

I just tried with a DVD to get my windows on my SSD again, but it won't even read that. It's brand new and tried a few:

It just goes on the splash screen, a flashing _ goes on for a bit and then it just goes into BIOS and then I'm stuck in here.

I was having similar errors when getting my RAID up and running and getting Windows to update. Are you manually choosing the boot option (boot override)? or just letting it run through?

I was having similar errors when getting my RAID up and running and getting Windows to update. Are you manually choosing the boot option (boot override)? or just letting it run through?

I actually got it working and found out why.

I've installed my windows on my previous computer (with a Gigabyte motherboard) so that could be why. I don't see any other reason why it is like that.

I actually got it working and found out why.

I've installed my windows on my previous computer (with a Gigabyte motherboard) so that could be why. I don't see any other reason why it is like that.

That makes sense, glad you got it working!

Me too! Thanks for guiding me, haha

That was going to be my next question.  Glad it got sorted out  :)

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W