Using LaTeX and not document processors.

Oisin Maguire

So recently (about a year now) I started using LaTeX as a document compiler instead of using word and i must say id never go back to word not even for a simple one page document.

It surprised me most that LaTeX is around 30 years old and hasn't changed and it has always been a niche thing generally with high end academics the likes of Physicists, computer scientists, mathematicians and a few writers and not many more people.

I was wondering why this is (is it because its free and has no publicity in the general media like all Linux distros) more than anything else and if any other people love using LaTeX as much as I have.

Just encase the link below is to Texmaker its the compiler I use.

http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

At university, we're meant to use this for any piece of work that gets submitted for marking, although most of my lecturers don't mind (there's only one or two that do). Before university, I'd never heard of LaTeX, I really do agree it needs more publicity. Although personally, I'll stick with modern word processors wherever possible just because I find it to be quicker.

When it comes to professional documents (and probably my dissertation for that matter), there's no way I would use anything else.

The only major problem is the steep learning curve, although this is the same with any language/syntax.

CPU: Intel i7 3770k @4.2 Ghz cooled by Corsair H100 | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77n-WiFi | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz CL10 Video CardEVGA GTX 660 SC 

Power Supply: OCZ 550W | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | HDD: Seagate 2TB | Monitor #1: Dell P2314H | Monitor #2: LG M2380DF | Monitor #3: LG E1960

Mouse: Razer Deathadder | Mouse Mat: Corsair MM200 | Keyboard: Apple Wired Aluminium Keyboard | Headphones: Bose QC15 | Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB Silver

I use LaTeX for all my uni assignments, I find it really useful for most of what I have to do, the maths markup is great, much easier than any other word processor.

As for actually writing the documents I use Eclipse with the LaTeX plugin and MiTeX for the compiler, and Sumatra PDF to view, as when i save in eclipse it automatically compiles and displays in sumartra

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

At School, when you are separated in groups and doing and assingment together LaTeX is the best option, because everybody can work on their own and then, with a tool as SVN you can merge everithing, it's great! You don't have to fight over who has to unify all the last day!

At School, when you are separated in groups and doing and assingment together LaTeX is the best option, because everybody can work on their own and then, with a tool as SVN you can merge everithing, it's great! You don't have to fight over who has to unify all the last day!

or worry about the font size etc :-)

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

At university' date=' we're meant to use this for any piece of work that gets submitted for marking, although most of my lecturers don't mind (there's only one or two that do). Before university, I'd never heard of LaTeX, I really do agree it needs more publicity. Although personally, I'll stick with modern word processors wherever possible just because I find it to be quicker. When it comes to professional documents (and probably my dissertation for that matter), there's no way I would use anything else. The only major problem is the steep learning curve, although this is the same with any language/syntax. [/quote']

LaTeX and XeTeX are absolutely fantastic tools for making CVs and resumes, for example! I agree with Iutzee, there is a pretty steep learning curve at the beginning. Worth it all though!