Assigning IP address

MeltingPoint
Go to solution Solved by Ssoele,
  • Go to your Network and Sharing Center
  • Go to Change adapter settings at the side
  • Right click on your ethernet connection and go to Properties
  • Scroll down a bit in the list and select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
  • Click on Properties
  • Select Use the following IP address
  • Fill in an IP that is within the range of your router at IP address (eg. 192.168.1.20)
  • Fill in the subnet mask of your router at Subnet mask (eg. 255.255.255.0)
  • Fill in your routers IP address at Default gateway (eg. 192.168.1.1)
  • Fill in 8.8.8.8 at Preferred DNS server (Google public DNS A)
  • Fill in 8.8.4.4 at Alternative DNS server (Google public DNS B )
  • Click OK
  • Click Close

Here's the setup:

I have a DSL modem supplied by my ISP and is hooked up to a wireless router (also includes 4 ethernet ports). My PC is connected (wired) to this router along with our phones (wifi).

My brother has a habit of disconnecting the modem from the router and plug it directly to the PC when he is playing because our internet speed is hideous (and he is freaking selfish).

What I would like to do is to assign a static IP to the computer so that when he connects the modem directly, he wont be able to access the internet, forcing him to use the router instead.

How do I do this and still be able to use the wifi normally? Router is Netgear WPN824V2

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

-snip-

What I would do is go into your Modem (usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or sometimes rarely 10.0.0.1) and set it to deny your brother's computer access based on his MAC address. Not sure if your modem is capable of that, but it might be. 

Then, the only way he will be able to use the internet is through the Router since the Modem would only see the Router's MAC address.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Ah, no. The modem and router is separate. The modem has a telephone line going in and an ethernet cable going out. Also, we only have one PC that everyone uses.

My goal is to set the PC to use a static IP so that it wont have internet access if connected to the modem directly.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

You could assign a static IP Address in the DHCP server of the router but that doesn't disallow him to connect the modem manually. If the modem has its own DHCP server then you could block his access using his MAC Address. Unfortunately, I know not much of modems that has this specific capability. (A unified modem/wifi would be able to do this)

EDIT: This wouldn't work as they're separate devices (as you specified). You could get by with installing a software locally but that route isn't foolproof.

TrinityFX

CPU: i5-4440 @ 3.1Ghz RAM: Crucial 1 x 4GB @ 1.6Ghz  MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate GPU: PCS+ HD 7870 Ghz Edition | CASE: NZXT Source 210 Window | HDD #1: Toshiba 3.5" 500GB HDD #2: Toshiba 2.5" 500GB PSU: Cougar SL500 OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2wccCJ |

• Go to your Network and Sharing Center
  • Go to Change adapter settings at the side
  • Right click on your ethernet connection and go to Properties
  • Scroll down a bit in the list and select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
  • Click on Properties
  • Select Use the following IP address
  • Fill in an IP that is within the range of your router at IP address (eg. 192.168.1.20)
  • Fill in the subnet mask of your router at Subnet mask (eg. 255.255.255.0)
  • Fill in your routers IP address at Default gateway (eg. 192.168.1.1)
  • Fill in 8.8.8.8 at Preferred DNS server (Google public DNS A)
  • Fill in 8.8.4.4 at Alternative DNS server (Google public DNS B )
  • Click OK
  • Click Close

-snip-

Thanks! This worked. All I had to do in addition to this is to assign a static local IP (to the PC) within the router's settings.

60FPS Microwave

Um, you would need to open command prompt to get the ip address assigned to your pc before just entering in some ip address to the network settings. Seriously, how do you not recommend this before hand ?

Should I assign my pc a class c ip address when I know my router assigns a class a address ? NO !

>_< !!