Are low end PSU really that bad?

TheRagingGamer

I bought an MS Industrial KY-400ATX P4 5 years ago, cheap psu, only 20€ and its still working just fine. I had some shitty no name 220W psu before that witch died but it never took any components with it. 

Another question i have is 
thermaltake toughpower 650w  a good power supply 

Did anyone here had problem with cheap PSU 

Also what happens if i draw more power than my psu can handle. Is it gonna die or is it gonna just shut down 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

That Thermaltake PSU isnt terrible and I wouldnt worry with it.

If you overload a PSU a fail safe should shut it down

Yes, low quality PSUs are that bad. Would you risk you computer over saving 10$?

if you draw more power, it will usually just shut down. but NEVER use a cheap PSU with high-end components, as there is often very few safety precautions used when making them which can result in burning out components.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

I had an inter-tech psu for 7 years, the fan died psu still worked. but generally they are pretty bad.  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I think the issue behind low end units is whether or not they have the same safety features as higher end models (short circuit protection, overvoltage, etc)as well as knowing whether the manufacture is lying or not about a psu capabilities. A sticker is all that is needed to show a buyer the psu is 450W, that buyer isn't going to know one way or another until they find out the hard way. Plus I would tend to believe the cheaper the power supply is to the consumer the cheaper the internals and then the question becomes how long will it last and/or is something going to fail internally and ark and start a fire? 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Well, cheap PSUs won't blow up in your face instantly, but the chance of them dying and taking a 400€ GPU with them is simply not worth it. People tend to exaggerate the problem to shy away people who are new to PC building, and it's good that they do that. Saving 30 bucks on a product that will be less reliable, die sooner and may cause the death of a very expensive component of your PC is simply not worth it. I also have a cheap OEM PSU that is really bad, and it's still running after 6 years. I still wouldn't recommend cheaping out on a PSU, EVER.

You can buy a low-end PSU with high-end components if you don't mind your PC catching on fire.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Only the truly low-end are actually dangerous such as Powork and Deer, the latter of which is particularly known for shitting out its insides through the fan in a burst of flames.

Mid-tier PSU, such as HEC and Chieftec, are acceptable, though I wouldn't recommend them for anything but low loads. But if possible, always always go for a higher-end unit.

I mean you could always use a cheaper psu if it doesn't really matter. But generally it's would be wiser to get a better psu from a more reputable company since you don't really have to gamble oh is this power supplying going to function correctly or not. 

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

I mean you could always use a cheaper psu if it doesn't really matter. But generally it's would be wiser to get a better psu from a more reputable company since you don't really have to gamble oh is this power supplying going to function correctly or not. 

i hate that jonnyguru never reviews a psu that i want to buy 

Ignore customer reviews, like those on Newegg or Amazon. If it turns on, they give it 5 stars. They have no goddamn idea what they're talking about.

The problem with many cheapo chinese power supplies is that they don't have the various protections a good power supply has, and so they won't shut themselves down if necessary in order to protect themselves and the PC hardware. They just die. Sometimes explosively. And sometimes they take a couple components with them. They don't die often as most people using them aren't pulling very much from them, and explosions aren't common even when they do die.

My own story involves my grandmothers 12 year old 300W CWT unit. I opened it up and most of the capacitors were Fuhjyyu (one of the worst brands you often find in power supplies FYI), and most were leaking. The only reason it was still working was because she only used it for emails probably not even every day. She probably never drew more than 100W from it, at least in the last few years of it's life (it died to a sledgehammer and wirecutters).

but there are cheap psu that get good reviews, not all of the are shit 

Yeah, but there are no cheap 20$ psus, that get good reviews. Atleast not from experienced reviewers anyway  (any idiot can say "this is good, it works and shows decent voltages on my cheapo multimeter !!!!1!)

Then it would be most likely a crap PSU

Then it would be most likely a crap PSU

eg: Xigmatek NRP-PC702 700W does not seem bad but there are hardly any reviews on it 

eg: Xigmatek NRP-PC702 700W does not seem bad but there are hardly any reviews on it 

Costs 50$ and its discontinued. Why the hell would you get that thing when you can get a XFX that scores 9.0 by jg for the same price?

xfx 650W would be a  better choice for that kind of power req.

If you want a cheapo PSU, corsair are always available...

I feel you on this. I want the nzxt hale 90v2 and he hasn't done it yet. and when he does a producty he doesn't do the full line. and its crazy how on a manufacturers product line the 850w is better than the 1000w:(