will a gigabyte x58a-ud3r take a INTEL XEON X5650 ? and oc ?

i want to know because the xeon is so cheap and its 6 core 12 threaded and overclocks like there is no tommrow, whould my mobo take the cpu, its a x58 mobo 1366

i know that officially it doest but its still a xeon like others there and its hex core like others there so should i take the risk ?

if it was me 

I wont risk buying a CPU and find out the mobo wont start with the CPU

I will just take the CPU which is support in the list

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

• 2 months later...

i want to know because the xeon is so cheap and its 6 core 12 threaded and overclocks like there is no tommrow, whould my mobo take the cpu, its a x58 mobo 1366

Hate to revive an oldish thread but I hate when people give misinformation, isn't that the beauty of building and working on pc's stretching what can and can't be done.  Those compatibility list are a guideline, more like a including but not limited to list.

Sorry for the late response I can confirm that it works and overclocks. I had the same question except on a UD9.  And currently the price is right for x5650 $60 on ebay how about ordering me one too while your at it LOL!

Proof:

This is a posting for a for sale thread for the X58A-UD3R /w a x5650 sold and over with but used for confirmation.

He also mentions he was able to oc the cpu to 4.0 ghz.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1825144

Also be sure to check out this forum as well http://www.overclock.net/t/706509/the-official-gigabyte-ga-x58a-ud3r-ud5-ud7-ud9-owners-club

Alot of people have went above and beyond that compatibility list,.seen postings of confirmed x5650 and x5660's on here and much more.

Oh yeah and this is my first post so, hey!

Hate to revive an oldish thread but I hate when people give misinformation, isn't that the beauty of building and working on pc's stretching what can and can't be done.  Those compatibility list are a guideline, more like a including but not limited to list.

Sorry for the late response I can confirm that it works and overclocks. I had the same question except on a UD9.  And currently the price is right for x5650 $60 on ebay how about ordering me one too while your at it LOL!

Proof:

This is a posting for a for sale thread for the X58A-UD3R /w a x5650 sold and over with but used for confirmation.

He also mentions he was able to oc the cpu to 4.0 ghz.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1825144

Also be sure to check out this forum as well http://www.overclock.net/t/706509/the-official-gigabyte-ga-x58a-ud3r-ud5-ud7-ud9-owners-club

Alot of people have went above and beyond that compatibility list,.seen postings of confirmed x5650 and x5660's on here and much more.

Oh yeah and this is my first post so, hey!

i was able to get my xeon to 5.2ghz :)

• 1 year later...
On 8/8/2014 at 11:20 PM, alihazzi7 said:

hi sorry for reviving a 2 year old thread but i was wondering if that board supported the x5650 natively without flashing the bios. thanks 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2016 at 5:10 AM, glitchmaster0001 said:

hi sorry for reviving a 2 year old thread but i was wondering if that board supported the x5650 natively without flashing the bios. thanks 

yep it did no flash required 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I actually have an I7-920 on this motherboard and this worlks well, but I have a black screen when running my new Xeon x5650.

Are you sure the BIOS doesn't need to be flashed for this upgrade ?

Does anyone know what to do ?

• 6 years later...
On 6/5/2016 at 1:06 PM, Alexed said:

Hello, I actually have an I7-920 on this motherboard and this worlks well, but I have a black screen when running my new Xeon x5650.

Are you sure the BIOS doesn't need to be flashed for this upgrade ?

Does anyone know what to do ?

Hello, sorry to bother you and revive this old thread from 6 years ago but I need your help, I have your motherboard and you have the same problem, I bought it for 20$ in a second hand place and when I connect a xeon x5660 the screen stays black, Do you think I should update bios, when you had that board was your error solved?

When I did this upgrade years ago, the quality of the x5650 chips was not great. I had 3 turn up dented and scratched, they would not post. When I finally got one in good condition it worked fine.