I need YOU! (To help me make a Sci-Fi videogame)

Right. So this may sound like a huge and menacing task, but it's something I've wanted to do for a while.

Basically I want to create a game that is reminiscent of early 21'st century sci-fi, with elements from Firefly and the early Mass Effect games, and throwing a bit of Star Wars in for good measure (The original trilogy OBV). While I know what I'm doing when it comes to Unity, when Crytek made CryEngine available on steam I thought about that alternative, and came to a conclusion: While it isn't free, it is far superior to Unity and UE3 (UE4 might be good though) and overall it would be more enjoyable to develop for. 

While the choice of engine is still up in the air, I wanted to start gathering a small group of people to help. I have a huge amount of concept writing and ideas all ready to go, as well as a very small amount of concept art and a name.

What I don't have is extensive skills when it comes to 3D design, animation and capture or Programming. While I may want some people later down the track to come on board with creative development, for now I need about 3 people. One person who knows game engines (UE3[so essentially UDK], Unity and or Cry Engine), one who knows Maya (Or any other 3D design software) and one who knows programming languages (I would assume C++ as CryEngine(The most likely engine right now) is basically self contained, with very little code tinkering required, as far as I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong)

TL/DR

I need a Coder who knows C++, A 3D designer competent with Maya and somebody who knows their way around Cry engine/UE3/Unity.

post-55115-0-11523000-1407315728.png

(Just a stock image from the web, nothing fancy)

Respond to the thread (Or PM me) if you know anyone who would be interested. (I'm based in Australia, but Skype makes everyone a lot closer)

My GPU History: GTS 250, 7790, 7850, GTX 660ti, 7870XT, 7970, 280X, 280X Crossfire, 290, 290X, Fury X, 390 Crossfire, Fury Crossfire, 1070, 1080, 1080ti.

My CPU History: Pentium 4, Pentium E5300, Core 2 Quad QX 9650, Intel Xeon 1230 v3, 4790K, 3930K, 5820K, 1700, 3700X.

I'm sorry, what exactly would you be doing? seems like you're just finding people to do all the work...

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

No one will do this for free, or even close to free

Which bit do you do? seems like you add nothing to the team :P

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

sounds interesting and i would have quite a lot of knowledge when it comes to 2d rendering (but in 3dsmax) but unfortunately my actual work consums most of my time. but i do have some freinds who might be up to it i could just ask them.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

No one will do this for free, or even close to free

well you are right but that depends on the kind of progress he wants to see if he really sells the idea and script or whatever i know some guys who would be willing to spare some freetime for it if they get a part in the eventually formed company or at least some part of what he earns when its done and if it really takes off.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Huh? I don't get it. What would you being doing in the team? 

don't have is extensive skills when it comes to 3D design, animation and capture or Programming

| Intel i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz | ASUS Z97-PRO | 16GB Kingston Beast @ 2400MHz | Sapphire AMD R9 290 TRI-X | 256GB Samsung EVO SSD & WD 2TB Black | AOC 4K Monitor 28" & BenQ 1080P 24" | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Razer Deathadder |

Languages (Who cares about spoken languages, meh.) : Java, C++, Python, Ruby, C#. | Aim: Assembly.

Sorry, I'm taken haha :D

Good luck tho, it's not easy man. Let me know when you have an alpha, send me a clip or two :D

Start talking about money.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

If this is true:

I think he would be the creative director

Then this:

'Cause I don't see why such a small team would need a "director". Also, a director spot is earned by having a range of skills gained over several years.

| Intel i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz | ASUS Z97-PRO | 16GB Kingston Beast @ 2400MHz | Sapphire AMD R9 290 TRI-X | 256GB Samsung EVO SSD & WD 2TB Black | AOC 4K Monitor 28" & BenQ 1080P 24" | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Razer Deathadder |

Languages (Who cares about spoken languages, meh.) : Java, C++, Python, Ruby, C#. | Aim: Assembly.

I knew that it would be this "wise guy" phenomen where he is looking for people doing the work and he want to be some sort of supervisor .

His first mistake was, that he posted it on this forum .

If this is true:

Then this:

'Cause I don't see why such a small team would need a "director". Also, a director spot is earned by having a range of skills gained over several years.

Obv, he just wants people with skills to make his idea a reality, and he must pay them if he wanted to

Right. So this may sound like a huge and menacing task, but it's something I've wanted to do for a while.

Basically I want to create a game that is reminiscent of early 21'st century sci-fi, with elements from Firefly and the early Mass Effect games, and throwing a bit of Star Wars in for good measure (The original trilogy OBV). While I know what I'm doing when it comes to Unity, when Crytek made CryEngine available on steam I thought about that alternative, and came to a conclusion: While it isn't free, it is far superior to Unity and UE3 (UE4 might be good though) and overall it would be more enjoyable to develop for. 

While the choice of engine is still up in the air, I wanted to start gathering a small group of people to help. I have a huge amount of concept writing and ideas all ready to go, as well as a very small amount of concept art and a name.

What I don't have is extensive skills when it comes to 3D design, animation and capture or Programming. While I may want some people later down the track to come on board with creative development, for now I need about 3 people. One person who knows game engines (UE3[so essentially UDK], Unity and or Cry Engine), one who knows Maya (Or any other 3D design software) and one who knows programming languages (I would assume C++ as CryEngine(The most likely engine right now) is basically self contained, with very little code tinkering required, as far as I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong)

TL/DR

I need a Coder who knows C++, A 3D designer competent with Maya and somebody who knows their way around Cry engine/UE3/Unity.

attachicon.gifcooltext1670958658.png

(Just a stock image from the web, nothing fancy)

Respond to the thread (Or PM me) if you know anyone who would be interested. (I'm based in Australia, but Skype makes everyone a lot closer)

One thing that you need to learn.

Idea is worth nothing.

The act of making the idea happen is really what matters and can be even sold.

I have 100 999 002 ideas for games.   Some are pretty neat, some are iPad shit's.

But i have just one idea that i am working on 4 months now, and it really feels that can be something done with it.

At least, you must start yourself, than you will show somebody , hey look, this is what i have, but i need som graphics these are just placeholders and you will have a share of xx % under this and this circumstances, and here is a paper which zou can sign and we are officaily working on it.

Otherwise, don't do anything .

Yea and if you wan't to be a 'director' of the game, and have your employees do what you want, at least pay for the engines and development tools.

That's the way you you can hire at least a developer. 

Otherwise you can type the :

Here is the idea of a game i made up.

You wil pay for yourself and youe eletricity, and desktops, and linceses for development software.

I will do nothing.

You will spent many hours developing and modeling stuff.

I will do nothing.

You will have no organization, many of you will turn out of project and someone new will come and it will be a fucking mess.

I will do nothing.

AND.

Nevermind the fact that okay, you will have your share from what the game will earn.

But if the game will not be as popular (as i don't have any marketing, or skilss to promote ) noone will be there to return you(developers/animators) the time/money you spent on development.

And nevermind the fact that your kind developers and animator, can just turn down the servers, do they own, and publish the game without you.

You have no right to stop it. Since you don't have any legal statement behind you.

One thing that you need to learn.

Idea is worth nothing.

Everything starts with an idea. An idea that is left unacted upon is worth nothing.

Huh? I don't get it. What would you being doing in the team? 

Creative design.

Which bit do you do? seems like you add nothing to the team :P

^^^

I'm sorry, what exactly would you be doing? seems like you're just finding people to do all the work...

That would be a waste of my skills and hardly an incentive to get people to help me.

Obv, he just wants people with skills to make his idea a reality, and he must pay them if he wanted to

Right on target. I don't have money as of now, but the idea would be a share (A decent one) in the profit made by the game. The harder/more work put in, the more money in the end.

I knew that it would be this "wise guy" phenomen where he is looking for people doing the work and he want to be some sort of supervisor .

His first mistake was, that he posted it on this forum .

In what way am I a wise guy again? I don't want to supervise, I want to build a team. I would "Supervise" creative design, whomever I got for 3D design would supervise that and so on.

Money is very nice. I wish I had more. But really, I addressed that a few above.

well you are right but that depends on the kind of progress he wants to see if he really sells the idea and script or whatever i know some guys who would be willing to spare some freetime for it if they get a part in the eventually formed company or at least some part of what he earns when its done and if it really takes off.

You seem sensible. Want a job? (For free [To start with])

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Alright. Firstly, I would be the Writer/Creative Designer, I have the plot and most of the basic ideas mapped out, along with a long list of mechanics and ideas(While they may "not be worth anything", what you can do with them is worth something).

And I would be doing a bit of everything. I don't want to get a bunch of people together working with me, and all I do is yell the script at them and whip them until a game-baby pops out. Firstly, I want to increase my skills in 3D design/Programming ( I already have a decent amount of skills, but I want an EXPERT in each of the fields), and secondly, I would be perfectly willing and capable when it comes to helping out with 3D design and working with CryEngine/UDK.

A lot of people have stormed in here accusing me of asking a bunch of people to do work for free, and while indie games are not the most lucrative area, when they do well, they really do well. 

I believe that a small team would be perfectly capable of pulling a medium length RPG together in a few years (It's been done before) and when you start to factor in the amount of support games (Can, not will) get on platforms such as kickstarter and indiegogo, the monetary side talks for itself.

tl;dr:

I don't intend to sit idly by while everyone else slaves away. I want to bring together a cohesive team of people and create a cohesive and enjoyable game, not alienate those I'm working with to the point where the game goes down a similar route to Fez.

(Maybe I should have been a bit clearer to begin with)

My GPU History: GTS 250, 7790, 7850, GTX 660ti, 7870XT, 7970, 280X, 280X Crossfire, 290, 290X, Fury X, 390 Crossfire, Fury Crossfire, 1070, 1080, 1080ti.

My CPU History: Pentium 4, Pentium E5300, Core 2 Quad QX 9650, Intel Xeon 1230 v3, 4790K, 3930K, 5820K, 1700, 3700X.

well thank you for the offer but i already have a job and its not one of those i-take-the-day-off-jobs its one of those i-have-a-pillow-at-works-jobs, we work late and the time i do have i need to spend with people that kill me if i dont (gf :D) but it sounds really interesting and im honored you would hire me but as said i have a well  paid job i like and not enough time to even work on my own projects. the freaking reserator is still standing in my bathtub fill with vinegar to clean out (its been 3 days :P) but maybe i could recommend someone if youd like. i know just the guy to ask about this

Everything starts with an idea. An idea that is left unacted upon is worth nothing.

Creative design.

^^^

That would be a waste of my skills and hardly an incentive to get people to help me.

Right on target. I don't have money as of now, but the idea would be a share (A decent one) in the profit made by the game. The harder/more work put in, the more money in the end.

In what way am I a wise guy again? I don't want to supervise, I want to build a team. I would "Supervise" creative design, whomever I got for 3D design would supervise that and so on.

Money is very nice. I wish I had more. But really, I addressed that a few above.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Alright. Firstly, I would be the Writer/Creative Designer, I have the plot and most of the basic ideas mapped out, along with a long list of mechanics and ideas(While they may "not be worth anything", what you can do with them is worth something).

And I would be doing a bit of everything. I don't want to get a bunch of people together working with me, and all I do is yell the script at them and whip them until a game-baby pops out. Firstly, I want to increase my skills in 3D design/Programming ( I already have a decent amount of skills, but I want an EXPERT in each of the fields), and secondly, I would be perfectly willing and capable when it comes to helping out with 3D design and working with CryEngine/UDK.

A lot of people have stormed in here accusing me of asking a bunch of people to do work for free, and while indie games are not the most lucrative area, when they do well, they really do well. 

I believe that a small team would be perfectly capable of pulling a medium length RPG together in a few years (It's been done before) and when you start to factor in the amount of support games (Can, not will) get on platforms such as kickstarter and indiegogo, the monetary side talks for itself.

tl;dr:

I don't intend to sit idly by while everyone else slaves away. I want to bring together a cohesive team of people and create a cohesive and enjoyable game, not alienate those I'm working with to the point where the game goes down a similar route to Fez.

(Maybe I should have been a bit clearer to begin with)

Yes, you should have been a bit clearer.

Well okay, you know how you will pump people to go and help you out ?

Show them concept art.

And of course go on forum where are developers/ designers . Not here.  I know why i am telling you this .

Go on another forum and ask there.

EDIT:

Just because someone thinks something. I dont encourage you to go on another forum. .. i suggest you to go on another forum when you are looking for people to hire.

The Programming & Software Design  on this forum is far from something you are looking for.

Keep believing that...

@AnthonyPaull how are you going to pay your bills while the game is in development? And how will the devs you are going to hire? What will encourage them to "work harder to earn more money"?

Maybe if you came with a more concrete idea rather than just "I want to make a sci-fi game" someone would be interested.

I don't think you realize how many of these threads there are not just on this forum but basically any forum that has a programming section...

Long story short - they never work out. 

• 1 year later...

Hi! If you are still doing this, I have been wanting to do this for a LONG time! I don't even want to get paid! I am a really quick self learner, and already have Daz3d which is a 3d modeling software. Please email me at swtor11000@gmail.com if you still need the help.