need to convert mono mic signal to stereo so my voice will be center

KickingBear519

Im am using action! to record gameplay. im using an audio interface (digi 003 rack) as my soundcard which has multiple mono xlr inputs. currently im using an sm57 mic to go into input 1. so when action! records my voice, it defaults to left channel bc it outputs line 1 and 2 as a stereo couple.

my current work around is to have action! record microphone into separate track which i then have to export the audio into an editing program, copy/paste the left channel into the right channel which makes it sound center. then import it back into my video editor so i can begin to edit my gameplay and commentary together. im aware that OBS has the feature to force mic to mono but in short i cannot use OBS due to other reasons.

My question is, is there some way that i can automatically convert my mono mic signal into a stereo or dual mono going into my audio interface so that i dont have to take the time to convert it by editing software? secondly, i plan on getting a 2 channel hardware compressor (dbx or fmr rnc) for this so that it can control my levels on the way into the recording so that again, i dont have to take the time to compress it using software. if i get something like this  and put it in stereo coupled mode, or maybe leave it in dual mono mode and have 2 mic cables come out of it into inputs 1 and 2 of my audio interface, will the signal come out stereo? or perhaps i need something like a mic xlr splitter?

Thanks in advanced

I don't have action!, but if it's able to record audio, you should be able to record on a mono track. There is no need for converters or splitters or none of that.

EDIT: I just downloaded it and it works fine, what do you have selected as your audio device for mic? If it's set to "Input 1/2", select "Input 1" or "Input 2". Microphones are supposed to be mono. If it's only playing out of one side it's because you're recording on a stereo track, which is not what you want.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

Can you not just record in audacity or an external program? you can record straight to a mono track and it comes out perfect

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I don't have action!, but if it's able to record audio, you should be able to record on a mono track. There is no need for converters or splitters or none of that.

EDIT: I just downloaded it and it works fine, what do you have selected as your audio device for mic? If it's set to "Input 1/2", select "Input 1" or "Input 2". Microphones are supposed to be mono. If it's only playing out of one side it's because you're recording on a stereo track, which is not what you want.

AnfEEcO.png

BUit7vp.png

as you can see, i have no option of selecting just input 1 or 2 in action! or in Windows. im currently using line 1 for my mic. but can only select line 1/2 in action. and thus, and for that reason my mic is recorded into left channel only.

the real issue is that action! like many other capture software (with the exception of OBS) doesn't take into account that the user maybe using an audio interface. This isn't an issue if your using a mic with a stereo output via usb such as the popular blue snowball, while you're right that mics like the snowball are really only capturing mono, they also are outputting that mono signal into stereo which is just the mono signal mirrored to both left and right channels.

So unless action! can add such feature to their software, im left to workaround it by either editing or figure out a hardware solution. im looking for a hardware solution which doesn't involve using a different audio interface or mic. So far the only thing i can think of is to use an analog mixer with a built in preamp, setting the pan dead center which then outputs thru the main outs on the mixer (giving me a now stereo signal) going into the inputs 1 and 2 on my digi 003 rack. however if im not mistaken, this will add some noise to my signal chain which is the primary reason why i dont want to use another mic or interface. so i was hoping there is some hardware alternative that simply allows me to take my mono signal, duplicate it, then run those 2 identical mono signals into my 003.

Can you not just record in audacity or an external program? you can record straight to a mono track and it comes out perfect

yes, but as i said before, the goal is to not have import or export anything unless it's exporting the whole project in my video editor. i want my gameplay footage in the video track, the audio from the game and the audio from my mic both in the stereo audio track. call me lazy, sure. But Im just trying to spend my time more efficiently. if i have to spend $100 on some hardware once to save me from spending 20 extra minutes editing for every hour of gameplay and never have to worry about it again. Please sign me up

yes, but as i said before, the goal is to not have import or export anything unless it's exporting the whole project in my video editor. i want my gameplay footage in the video track, the audio from the game and the audio from my mic both in the stereo audio track. call me lazy, sure. But Im just trying to spend my time more efficiently. if i have to spend $100 on some hardware once to save me from spending 20 extra minutes editing for every hour of gameplay and never have to worry about it again. Please sign me up

What about using DXTORY? It also has seperate audio tracks and is what Totalbiscuit etc use for their recordings,

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

What about using DXTORY? It also has seperate audio tracks and is what Totalbiscuit etc use for their recordings,

I think the problem is his hardware, not the software.

if i have to spend $100 on some hardware once to save me from spending 20 extra minutes editing for every hour of gameplay and never have to worry about it again. Please sign me up

An XLR splitter might do the trick - plug the mic into the single end, and the split into both inputs. Not elegant, and I don't know how it'll effect the preamps, but it should be a cheap option to try.

AnfEEcO.png

BUit7vp.png

as you can see, i have no option of selecting just input 1 or 2 in action! or in Windows. im currently using line 1 for my mic. but can only select line 1/2 in action. and thus, and for that reason my mic is recorded into left channel only.

the real issue is that action! like many other capture software (with the exception of OBS) doesn't take into account that the user maybe using an audio interface. This isn't an issue if your using a mic with a stereo output via usb such as the popular blue snowball, while you're right that mics like the snowball are really only capturing mono, they also are outputting that mono signal into stereo which is just the mono signal mirrored to both left and right channels.

You have a misunderstanding of Mono and Stereo. Mics record in Mono, and it plays through left and right. It will only play on the left if you record on a stereo track. There is no mirroring involved.

https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/monorecording/

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

You have a misunderstanding of Mono and Stereo. Mics record in Mono, and it plays through left and right. It will only play on the left if you record on a stereo track. There is no mirroring involved.

https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/monorecording/

...while you're right that mics like the snowball are really only capturing mono, they also are outputting that mono signal into stereo which is just the mono signal mirrored to both left and right channels.

Again the issue is that is action is writing a stereo recording whether your mic is mono or stereo. the reason it works for you is because you are not using an audio interface. If you were to import your test capture from action! to a video editor or into audio editor, you would see even though your mic is mono you will see 2 identical waveforms in a stereo track which makes it sounds completely center.

This reply from Gearslutz audio forum sums up exactly what I wanted to know, and explains the reason action! isn't coming out center for me.

KLFykW1.png

Anyone having similar issues should gain quite a bit of insight from this.

I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you all! and hope this thread will help someone else in the future.

Again the issue is that is action is writing a stereo recording whether your mic is mono or stereo. the reason it works for you is because you are not using an audio interface. If you were to import your test capture from action! to a video editor or into audio editor, you would see even though your mic is mono you will see 2 identical waveforms in a stereo track which makes it sounds completely center.

This reply from Gearslutz audio forum sums up exactly what I wanted to know, and explains the reason action! isn't coming out center for me.

KLFykW1.png

Anyone having similar issues should gain quite a bit of insight from this.

I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you all! and hope this thread will help someone else in the future.

First 14 words of that post is the same thing I said, lol.

I think you should use something other than Action!, that is incredibly amateur software if it doesn't allow mono input. Running an analog audio source through more devices is going to degrade the signal, even if only slightly.

I use a Scarlett 2i2, btw.

First 14 words of that post is the same thing I said, lol.

I think you should use something other than Action!, that is incredibly amateur software if it doesn't allow mono input. Running an analog audio source through more devices is going to degrade the signal, even if only slightly.

I use a Scarlett 2i2, btw.

The only software that does allow mono input without having to write the mic audio on a completely separate track in my search is OBS. and as much as i wanted to use, i could not get the recorded gameplay to stop lagging. no matter how much i tweaked the settings. but thats a separate discussion most likely better fit for the OBS forums. Using action! though not perfect in my case, is the best i've been able to find out of all the ones i tested all things considered. Shadowplay, Dxtory, OBS, Fraps, Bandicam, MSI afterburner. OBS would have been perfect if it werent for the lag.