Vibration warning for potential Samsung Galaxy S4 buyers

I made a post earlier this week concerning a vibration that I noticed in my new Samsung Galaxy S4. I'm writing this to warn potential buyers of this strange effect.

Initial post: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13307-samsung-galaxy-s4-potential-defect-looking-for-help-from-s4-owners/?hl=potential

When I remove the S4 from my pocket and transfer it from hand to hand, or if I'm playing a game and I tap the screen a bit harder than usual, the entire phone vibrates in my hand. It feels much like the vibration function in the phone, and it is. The vibrating motor in the S4 doesn't appear to lock up, so any time you jar the phone you can feel it resonate in your hand. 

To be clear, this is not the motor actually running. This effect persists when the phone is completely powered off. 

After some investigation at a local Bell store, I learned that this is the case for all of the S4's that I tested (2 live demos in store). After playing around with the Sony Xperia ZL I found that it also vibrates if dropped onto someones hand from a height above 5cm. I tested the HTC One, and could just slightly feel the vibration- It took a good hit with my finger to produce anything. 

I know this is a minor issue, but it really does make the phone feel cheap, and I'm reluctant to use it because of this. I bought a case for it but i'm really concerned about dropping it, as if something is loose directly from the factory then who knows what could happen after a few drops to the ground.

Let me know what you think of this, and to all the current S4 owners, tell me if you can reproduce this effect by doing the following:

1.) Hold the phone in your left hand near the top and tap the back of the phone at the bottom left corner with your finger. This should cause the entire phone to       vibrate. I know this is extremely specific, but I seem to inadvertently tap the phone often and it vibrates every time.

2.) Lift the phone a few centimeters above your hand and let it go. When it lands it will begin to vibrate. This is analogous to transferring the phone from hand to hand, which happens often - this phone is HUGE!

I don't think I've ever owned a phone that didn't vibrate a little when you tap/hit it. Even old PS2 controllers used to.

It was like that with my iphone 4 and with my GS3 when I switched 

Yeap i can feel it but doesn't feel like a vibration. More like a spring flick if you get what I mean. As to whether or not I am reluctant to using the phone, I say that I don't play any games on my phone so it would be hard for me to reproduce this daily effect.

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

That sounds odd. I just tried to tapp and shake my Desire HD. It feels rock solid.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

@dklhs90

Do you ever feel this effect during daily use?

I often find myself taking it out of my pocket and have it catching on a section of fabric and then I can really feel it. I'm really interested to see what other S4 users are saying about this- it seems way too easy to reproduce. 

@dklhs90

Do you ever feel this effect during daily use?

I often find myself taking it out of my pocket and have it catching on a section of fabric and then I can really feel it. I'm really interested to see what other S4 users are saying about this- it seems way too easy to reproduce. 

I dont feel this effect in daily use. I dont know how you get your phone caught in fabric but I manage to slip my phone out no problem... Maybe your phone specifically is more sensitive compared to other S4 users ones?

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

• 1 month later...

Hey man...i feel your pain...I got mine may 1st...and when I pushed back i found the vibration was a bit different then in Galaxy S3...so I didn´t do anything. But 2 weeks later my sister and father got S4 like me...and they´re totally different. They´re vibration is quick and solid...and mine has a clinging reverb to it....I´ve tried all that you said in your post...you can even hear the vibrating sound with the phone an armslengt away.....not on the other phones. I used the horizontal drop from hand to hand and also tapping it in all sorts of ways to show the supplier. The took it for a week...said it has to be the hammer....and a week later I got my phone back...just like he was ...but the put in a firmware update...yes...month old phone was "fixed" with the same firmware it had already...software fix for hardware problem. As you can imagine I was pretty pissed off....so i called the supplier of the phone company and had a little chat. He promised to send me a brand new phone...which arrived today....I took of the seal...not the animal...and the phone was just like the other.

After I came to the retailer with this new unknown problem...they got 3 phones that were put on display and they all show the same flaw...but they told me today that they have sold over 20 phones last 2 weeks...and the guys tested all the phone like you described...and none of them has our problem...the are all solid and and feel worth every penny....while ours is crap. 

It is a flaw...it´s not an easter egg....2 other retailers in the same mall I bought my from...have never felt this or gotten any complains. 

Today they were actually laughing...cause this is very very rare it seems....but i got two in a row.....both of mine were white...but the ones on display...are black.....

So...go get a new one...it is your right as a consumer...still have the warranty :)

Cheers from Iceland:)

PS...5 guys that work at those retailers....they said they would all demand a new one if their device would show this flaw. 

my Iphone does this but only when i actually try make it vibrate. my nokia 701, Lumia 710 and Lumia 820 are all rock solid phones

MoBo: GA-z77x-ud3h CPU: 2500K @ 3.1 (miss my h80) Cooler: Stock GPU: EVGA 780 ACX RAM: 8gb G.skill SSDs: 2X Sammy 120EVOs HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracudas PSU: Corsair RM750 Case: Blue NZXT H440

Thanks for the responses guys. I got my phone replaced last week and the vibration problem is gone. It does seem to be a defect, and a rather annoying one at that. I would definitely recommend taking your phone back if it is plagued by this.

That sounds odd. I just tried to tapp and shake my Desire HD. It feels rock solid.

its made of metal....

My Desire s does not vibrate either