Samsung galaxy s4 potential defect, looking for help from s4 owners

Javathejhut

I picked up my s4 yesterday and noticed something right when I picked it up. If I transfer the phone from hand to hand or tap the back when it is horizontal I can feel something vibrating inside. If I tap the back close to my ear I hear a ping. It seems to me that this has to do with the vibrating motor. Could any s4 users try tapping the back of their phones to test this out for me? Thanks in advance, I'm just trying to figure out if I should get a replacement.

I own a International S4 LTE and when I specifically tap the Samsung logo on the back I can hear and feel a kind of pinging or springing sound? Is this what you are hearing/feeling? I guess it is present in all S4? How about other people?

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

Hi. I own a Galaxy S4 i9505, which is the one with the snapdragon 600 cpu.

I tried tapping the back, but i could not hear anything rumble around in there.

So i think you should go back to the store, and get a replacement.

Regards Mike.

As a potential Galaxy S4 owner this is very troubling to hear.

I own a International S4 LTE and when I specifically tap the Samsung logo on the back I can hear and feel a kind of pinging or springing sound? Is this what you are hearing/feeling? I guess it is present in all S4? How about other people?

I tapped the back on different spots a couple of times, but had to listen very veryyyy closely to hear some sort of pingy.. But it does not at all feel/sound like a defect imo.

Thanks for all the input. I am going to take the phone back just to see if there is an issue. I also noticed that I can't receive data so there may be a more significant underlying problem.

Yup I think its not really a defect. Just treat is as an Easter Egg! Or ignore it completely or stop tapping your phone maybe? Its not a percussion instrument you know! Lol

I had to listen very carefully in a quiet room to hear it ping/spring.

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5