AT M50s vs Sennheiser 558

le_Queso

I want to upgrade my headphones to either the m50s or 558. Right now i have the sennheiser 428. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with that headphone and they have upgradede to the 558. The 428s are somewhat flat sounding, but honestly i dont want to get a pair of headphones that are more flat responding which i've heard the 558s are. Which is also the reason why im considering the m50s.

Can you help me here? Im on my phone right now, so i may need to clarify.

Why do you quote yourself?

I have both and if you want more "fun" headphones, I would suggest Beyerdynamics DT series or CHC Silverados. I personally don't like either the M50 or HD558 too much. 

I have the HD 558's and they look more comfortable to me to me than the M50's. The audio quality is great, the build quality is a little bit plasticy though, but it's bearable. Although they do tend to ge a little bit warm around the ears, the comfort is fine, I wear them all day long without a problem. The HD558's have a bigger soundstage than the M50's probably because it's an open (I think it's called that way) pair of headphones. When I was playing piano with these headphones for the first time, it took me some time to realise that there was no real piano in front of me, it sounded so much better than my previous Sennheiser HD 205's, but they also cost 3 times as much haha.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

I have the M50s and they sound pretty great to me for the price. The bass is nice and tight, highs are sharp but retain clarity, and mids are relatively flat, although sometimes they seem muddy with Rock / Live EDM.

I have a laptop that sucks because I'm broke.

I don't have personal experience with either of these headphones, but from what I have heard others say is that the 558's are very wide open sounding. The M50's are very accurate sounding, with a punchy bass. However I have heard that the 558's are a good amount more comfortable than the M50's. 

I don't have personal experience with either of these headphones, but from what I have heard others say is that the 558's are very wide open sounding. The M50's are very accurate sounding, with a punchy bass. However I have heard that the 558's are a good amount more comfortable than the M50's. 

WIth disregard to the fact that the Sennheisers at least try to be worth what they cost. 

How loud does the open design get on the 558's? I don't really want a headphone that leaks all my sound, especially if I would want to commentate or make videos in the future.

How loud does the open design get on the 558's? I don't really want a headphone that leaks all my sound, especially if I would want to commentate or make videos in the future.

You would have to be listening beyond damaging volumes for a person less then a meter away to hear your music. 

if you mod them (remove the foam to open them even more) and max the volume to where the ear starts to feel uncomfortable, then the leaked sound is about a laptop speaker at half volume. 

sorry for the weird explanation, but its the only real comparison i have left ( i Don't own them anymore)