Seiki...pointless?

thedancingman4321

I understand that the TV looks BOSS, but isn't the purpose of the monitor nullified by the fact that the tv only has hdmi inputs, making the ability to display 4k content on it...nonexistant? Thoughts?

I think that the newest revision of HDMI (1.4?) does support 4K. But yes, displayport(s) would be nice.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Isn't the bus of HDMI simply not large enough for 4k?

it supports 4k but only at 30hz

The fact that it will only do 30hz means that for movies and TV it'd be fine. But for gaming, or for what most people on these forums actually do, it won't be good enough.

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

HDMI 2.0 which I'm not if it's coming or is already here will support 4k resolution though I haven't heard anything about refresh rates or anything like that though I assume it will be pretty solid

Rig: MSI X370 SLI-Plus | Ryzen 7 1700X | ASUS GTX1070 | Corsair Vengeance 32gb DDR4 3000mhz | Corsair RM750i PSU | Samsung EVO 960 256GB NVMe SSD | Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD | NZXT S340 Elite Case | Custom Water Loop

HDMI 2.0 which I'm not if it's coming or is already here will support 4k resolution though I haven't heard anything about refresh rates or anything like that though I assume it will be pretty solid

I would prefer if Display port woudl take over the market.

It happens so often that an HDMI cable just comes loose, because it doesn't lock, unlike DisplayPort which does lock. It gets so annoying, you ahve no idea how often my parents tell me that the TV is broken again. Guess what is the problem - loose HDMI cable, that gets so annoying.

Also Displayport is easier to implement and Mini Displayport is so small.. Thunderbolt will enable daisychaining, HDMi is inferior is every possible way.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

DisplayPort support daisy-chaining :)

I fully agree with you, HDMI is always limiting. Because Sony and the rest of the HDMI group (formed by an association of several companies), are too busy collecting over priced royalty fees, which makes TVs and cables more expensive, instead of moving HDMI forward.  DisplayPort keeps pulling huge step forward at every version, and it's moving fairly quickly for a cable standard. No royalty fees and the cable are cheaper to produce, and support more plug-in and out before breakage, lets not forget also it can support longer cable, so why not switch?

It would be nice to see TV and Blu-ray player or something with DisplayPort on both. They can still have HDMI. Who knows, probably Sony does a rebate on sales on the Blu-ray patent if the manufacture uses exclusively HDMI, or something... we don't know, it's all hidden.

The new HDMI spec has not been hammered out yet. Silicon Image, who is a founder of the HDMI forum and a collector of HDMI chip royalties, says the new HDMI 2.0 spec wont be finalized until sometime in the second half of 2013. The HDMI forum which includes Apple, Samsung and a number of chip manufacturers are still developing the new spec. Once the general specs are complete, chip manufacturers have to design their new chips, get them out of the fab and have them qualified inside the new devices. Silicon Image says it will take until at least the end of 2014 and likely until 2015 to see these new HDMI chips inside TV's.

Displayport can support 60hz refresh rates now and without the $.04 HDMI royalty per device going to Silicon Image. A couple of weeks ago I saw a list of 4K TV's about to be released and about 30-40% of them had displayport interfaces which are virtually non existant on 1080p TV's. From what I understand there are many TV OEM's now trialing displayport interfaces for their new generation TV's.   

The new HDMI spec has not been hammered out yet. Silicon Image, who is a founder of the HDMI forum and a collector of HDMI chip royalties, says the new HDMI 2.0 spec wont be finalized until sometime in the second half of 2013. The HDMI forum which includes Apple, Samsung and a number of chip manufacturers are still developing the new spec. Once the general specs are complete, chip manufacturers have to design their new chips, get them out of the fab and have them qualified inside the new devices. Silicon Image says it will take until at least the end of 2014 and likely until 2015 to see these new HDMI chips inside TV's.

Displayport can support 60hz refresh rates now and without the $.04 HDMI royalty going to Silicon Image. A couple of weeks ago I saw a list of 4K TV's currently in development and about 30-40% of them had displayport interfaces which are virtually non existant on 1080p TV's. From what I understand there are many more TV OEM's now trialing displayport interfaces for their new generation TV's.   

Sounds great. Let's be done with HDMI forever.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

Its clear most people here really like displayport but I dont think HDMI is going anywhere soon. Almost 1 billion HDMI ports will be shipped in 2013 and there is a 4 billion port installed base out there. But displayport is coming on strong. 300 million ports of displayport are predicted to be shipped this year up from only 80 million in 2010. I think both interfaces will co-exist more in a complementary fashion but I expect displayport to outpace the growth of HDMI on a % basis going forward.

There is one new technology that is just coming out that few people have heard of which may make displayport more accessible. A company called Transwitch has developed an interface chip that can handle HDMI, displayport, DVI and MHL all from one port. If this chip, called HDplay, is in a TV you can connect a Mac with a displayport connector, a gaming console with an HDMI connector, an old computer with a DVI cable and a smartphone with an MHL adapter...one port on the TV handles them all. No need for a bunch of different cables. The one chip does the work of 3 or 4 different ports. It will be shipping soon in TV's, projectors/pico projectors, A/V recievers etc.

HDMI 1.4 supports 3840x2160 at 30Hz.It's pathetic since even at 60Hz there is very noticeable motion blur on these TVs, hence why a new specification for 4K TVs is being implemented making 120Hz a standard.

HDMI 1.4 supports 3840x2160 at 30Hz.It's pathetic since even at 60Hz there is very noticeable motion blur on these TVs, hence why a new specification for 4K TVs is being implemented making 120Hz a standard.

Really? 120hz will become a standard?!? I could not be happier right now, I can not stand using a 60hz monitor, oh my god, I LOVE THE FUTURE :D

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Really? 120hz will become a standard?!? I could not be happier right now, I can not stand using a 60hz monitor, oh my god, I LOVE THE FUTURE :D

I know, but it sounds like it's aimed at gigantic displays like those ones at CES.

• 1 month later...

Displayport can support 60hz refresh rates now and without the $.04 HDMI royalty per device going to Silicon Image. A couple of weeks ago I saw a list of 4K TV's about to be released and about 30-40% of them had displayport interfaces which are virtually non existant on 1080p TV's. From what I understand there are many TV OEM's now trialing displayport interfaces for their new generation TV's.   

Any chance you could point me to that list of upcoming 4k tv's? I've been looking around and I can't find any announcements for 4k tv with displayport. I'm trying to decide to pick up this Seiki or wait for a 4k tv with displayport to come out, but I haven't been able to find any information on them.