Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CheekyBugger

Which motherboard for Ryzen 5 4600?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I had originally planned to get the Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro and thus also get a mini case, specifically the Fractal Design Define Mini C. However, after seeing the vrm thermals of the B550M Aorus Pro in this video i am now no longer sure i´ll be getting that board since it runs very hot. My reasoning is that it would run cool enough with the Ryzen 5 4600 that i intend to get when it becomes available, but when i want to upgrade in the future, to the Ryzen 9 4900 for example, it probably wouldn´t manage to keep the VRM´s cool enough. In the same video the best performing Micro-motherboard is the Msi B550M Mortar which is around 30 dollars more expensive. It seems to be an overall better board, except for having fewer usb ports (Correct me if i´m wrong).

So should i just go with the Mortar instead of the Aorus Pro? It looks like a much more compelling offer at just 30 dollars extra.

If so this brings up another question. The MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk is available for the same price but i´m not sure exactly what the difference between the two is. Are there benefits of getting the Tomahawk instead of the Mortar other than extra expansion, which i really don´t think i will need? And if i get the Tomahawk i obviously can´t get the Define Mini C so it would have to be the Define C or some other ATX case.

So - Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro, Msi B550M Mortar with better VRM thermals and overall a slightly better board or the B550 Tomahwk?

I´m definitely leaning towards the Mortar but would really like a second opinion here, in case i´ve missed something.

The B550m mortar is just simply a lot better than the b550m aorus pro. 

The b550 tomahawk has better vrm than the b550m mortar, but the mortar can handle any current am4 cpu easily, budget for a board? and location and currency? 

also if you're just waiting for zen 3, buy a board when that launches and don't buy a board now. 

Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

I mean the 4000 naming scheme isn't even set in stone right now since there are rumors of it being called 5000 now.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Ok, the Aorus Pro is off the list. My budget is at it´s maximum with the Mortar and Tomahawk, roughly 185 dollars (i live in Sweden). In the video the difference in VRM temps wasn´t hugely different between the two so what other reason would there be to go for the Tomahawk? I also lose the mAtx form factor with the Tomahawk which is why the VRM difference alone isn´t enough.

Why do you think i should wait with buying the the motherboard until after launch? I was thinking i would order one of these two before the launch and if they offer any sort of bundle deal with the processor i can return it. On the other hand, if they raise the prices of the motherboard, i would already have it and could simply order the processor. Is there something else to consider? Also i haven´t mentioned this but both of the board are currently discounted 5 and 15 dollars respectively.

And yes you´re right, i meant Ryzen 5 5600 and 5900 respectively. 

1 hour ago, CheekyBugger said:

Why do you think i should wait with buying the the motherboard until after launch?

Because well.. we don't know what's going to happen with it, wait for zen 3, check what it has to offer and then decide on a board then. 

but to answer your question.. 

185 dollars

since i don't know how prices are where you live (pcpp shows different prices than you mentioned), to name some boards. 

B550 tomahwak, B550 aorus pro, b550 strix f, b550 a pro for ATX. 

for mATX, b550 mortar or the b550 tuf, the mortar has better vrm but the tuf is also solid. 

Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

12 minutes ago, CheekyBugger said:

i would not buy anything before the cpu are actually announced, just in case there's a new chipset, and i expect a price hike of 50usd~ for each cpu this gen, maybe 100 if amd's bold enough.

9900k 1.32v max 1.26v avx 5.1ghz-1avx 4.8 cache 95C 175w 1.05v 4.4ghz 95w 55C R20/blender temps ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 2x8gb 16-16-16-34-280-24 ddr3866  bdie 1.42v dram 1.22v io/sa (anything higher needs more voltage on all (dram/io/sa) ll EVGA 2080 ti XC 1995//7600 power limited 79C max, stock voltage (bad ocer) ll 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA G2 1300w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA272w (movie, work mon) 2k60 14bit lut ll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98)

old rig 8600k d15 evga 1080 ti hybrid  z370 extreme 4 2x8gb ddr3000 512gb nvme evo+ 860 evo 500gb raid 0 evga p2 1000w 

Yes, those are pretty much the boards i have been looking at, but many of the Atx sized ones were frankly a bit too expensive. So far it seems the Mortar is the way to go for mAtx.

I honestly don´t understand why i should wait though. I mean, the 5600 is going to be compatible right? Or what do you mean by new chipset? And what if the Mortar sells out?

Yes, those are pretty much the boards i have been looking at, but many of the Atx sized ones were frankly a bit too expensive. So far it seems the Mortar is the way to go for mAtx.

I honestly don´t understand why i should wait though. I mean, the 5600 is going to be compatible right? Or what do you mean by new chipset? And what if the Mortar sells out?

If the Mortar sells out, then it'll be a bit before it comes back into stock, but it's not like it's gone forever. There's probably going to be SOME compatibility with older chipsets, but I would not bet on the options being particularly great going forward from here. Also, note that Zen 3 is the end of Socket AM4. Zen 4 will be on AM5, AMD already stated this so you'd best keep that in mind.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.1

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 8GB GTX 1070 |  DELL S2419NX 24" & DELL SE2419HX 23.8" 1080p Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe SSD | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD1TB Western Digital NVMe SSD | Intel Wireless-AC 9260