Gaming build upgrade suggestions

Budget (including currency): TBD Euro (Not TOO much hopefully)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I want it to be able to run the latest games like Cyberpunk, CoD Cold War and Warzone with RTX

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have  a 3440x1440 100Hz Asus monitor and a 1920x1080 secondary for whatever else. I've had a Threadripper 1920x from launch, a 1080ti, and 8x8GB of 3000Mhz DDR4 memory, 512GB 950 PRO SSD from Samsung and a 2TB dump drive. I'm not really in any rush to upgrade (or sure if I should) so I can wait for next gen parts to launch or come on stock like the 3080 or whatever new CPUs come out. I'm making this post because recently I looked into getting the new 3080 and realized the CPU I have might actually bottleneck my performance quite a bit but I haven't really been in the loop with all the new CPU launches so I didn't know what CPU and motherboard I could even upgrade to if I wanted to. And yes, I am aware the 1920x was never meant for gaming, but when I made this build I had plans to use it professionally as well, but that is no longer the case. I could sell half the memory sticks, the CPU, GPU and replace them with something newer of your recommendation. 

I hope I covered everything ^^" thank you in advance for your help and have a great day! 

if youre not worried about super high framerates the 1920x is a fine chip. my buddy used his to game on a 1440p ultrawide with a 1080ti and hit 100+fps in wot (admittedly a low req game). msfs2020 is specifically a terribly optimized game cpu-wise but otherwise the 1920x should be fine for 60-100fps or so in most other games. with the ultrawide resolution and if you wanna play cyberpunk in rtx, the 3080 is the way to go. otherwise i dont see why your current setup would need change, other than to downgrade.

soooo if you do wanna downgrade for strictly gaming purposes, selling off your extra stuff:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor $298.49 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $59.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $199.99 @ Best Buy
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card $800.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $1358.47
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-24 18:31 EDT-0400  

best gaming cpu atm, cheap-ish and effective cooler/mobo, avg 3080 price. if youd like to wait and see what zen 3 brings for gaming performance thats a good idea as well but this wouldnt be a bad system as it stands

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

4 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

if youre not worried about super high framerates the 1920x is a fine chip. my buddy used his to game on a 1440p ultrawide with a 1080ti and hit 100+fps in wot (admittedly a low req game). msfs2020 is specifically a terribly optimized game cpu-wise but otherwise the 1920x should be fine for 60-100fps or so in most other games. with the ultrawide resolution and if you wanna play cyberpunk in rtx, the 3080 is the way to go. otherwise i dont see why your current setup would need change, other than to downgrade.

soooo if you do wanna downgrade for strictly gaming purposes, selling off your extra stuff:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor $298.49 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $59.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $199.99 @ Best Buy
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card $800.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $1358.47
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-24 18:31 EDT-0400  

best gaming cpu atm, cheap-ish and effective cooler/mobo, avg 3080 price. if youd like to wait and see what zen 3 brings for gaming performance thats a good idea as well but this wouldnt be a bad system as it stands

If this CPU and motherboard will do me just fine, then I'm not gonna change anything considering I'd be losing money selling 2 generation old hardware used. It's just that everywhere I go, especially on this forum, I see people saying the 1920x is "known to be bad for gaming" which made me dig into it, so I stumbled upon a Gamers Nexus article showing benchmarks with various CPUs that showed the 1920x pushing out sometimes even half as many frames as a 3rd gen Ryzen 7 or an 8th/9th gen i7, making me worried I'll bottleneck the 3080 even harder. I especially don't want to downgrade on the motherboard side since I value a good bios, features, USB ports and looks quite a lot. What would be a high-end but not completely overpriced Z490 motherboard from Asus?

59 minutes ago, Memez4Dayz said:

If this CPU and motherboard will do me just fine, then I'm not gonna change anything considering I'd be losing money selling 2 generation old hardware used. It's just that everywhere I go, especially on this forum, I see people saying the 1920x is "known to be bad for gaming" which made me dig into it, so I stumbled upon a Gamers Nexus article showing benchmarks with various CPUs that showed the 1920x pushing out sometimes even half as many frames as a 3rd gen Ryzen 7 or an 8th/9th gen i7, making me worried I'll bottleneck the 3080 even harder. I especially don't want to downgrade on the motherboard side since I value a good bios, features, USB ports and looks quite a lot. What would be a high-end but not completely overpriced Z490 motherboard from Asus?

at 1080p it would be a serious bottleneck for games but 1440p ultrawide is almost 4k, so its not as big a deal. you can get ~400-500 bucks for the cpu and mobo, 100 for half the ram, and 350-400 for the 1080ti. asus z490 strix models run ~220-300 bucks, theyre all pretty decent though comparable motherboards have better specs are cheaper. but asus bios and all that is nice lol. you could go for a r5 3600 and save a few hundred bucks, getting a b450 strix for it. that would be ~300 bucks total and would also be a big upgrade from the threadripper, getcha within a few percent of the 10600k at 1440p ultrawide with a 3080, likely no difference between the two with a 1080ti. 

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

i'd wait 2 more weeks for the ryzen zen3 launch to see how it compares in gaming and price with intel and make my decision then. but right now, for gaming, the 10600k is the best choice. that might change in 2 weeks, though.