Low GPU Usage

rpalmz46

Hi,

Anyone happen to know why my gpu usage could be so low, I just got a 3080 and ive noticed on some games it hits as low as 30%, which means something is clearly wrong. My cpu is a i5-8600k but it isnt even at max usage whenever these gpu usages are so low so im a bit torn as to what is causing this. Like in the witcher 3 i get 98% usage most all the time except for times where my cpu is the issue, but in something like far cry 5 i seen it go as low as 30% and my fps is only at 80 so like clearly im missing a lot of performance.

what games? at what resolution and details? what fps do you hit?

I assume your cpu is bottlenecking the gpu if you play at 1080p

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

what games? at what resolution and details? what fps do you hit?

I assume your cpu is bottlenecking the gpu if you play at 1080p

Playing at 1440p I have a 144hz monitor with gsync, games I've tested have been. RDR2 which works fine witcher 3 which is fine for the most part besides where my cpu hits 100% but i expected that, but then games like dishonored 2 and far cry 5 both have incredibly low gpu usage 

Like i expected some bottlenecking plan on upgrading in the future since my mobo is a bit screwy anyway but 30% usage with less than 50% usage something seems off.

2 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Like i expected some bottlenecking plan on upgrading in the future since my mobo is a bit screwy anyway but 30% usage with less than 50% usage something seems off.

can you monitor usage per core for the pc? some games can't take advantage of all cores, so you might see 100% on 2 cores and 0% on two cores, with overall usage of 50%, which still reduces performance

Yeah ill hop into far cry and check out what the cores are doing real quick

8 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Yeah ill hop into far cry and check out what the cores are doing real quick

Okay so far cry wouldnt launch since i had to reinstall windows to fix some problems yesterday but dishonored 2 all my cores are at about 80-90% usage with hovering gpu usage around 56% was the lowest to 79% was the highest i seen. 

2 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Okay so far cry wouldnt launch since i had to reinstall windows to fix some problems yesterday but dishonored 2 all my cores are at about 80-90% usage with hovering gpu usage around 56% was the lowest to 79% was the highest i seen. 

that's what a cpu bottleneck looks like

Just now, boggy77 said:

that's what a cpu bottleneck looks like

Yeah i figured but i just didnt think it really started to bottleneck until all cores were at 100%

1 minute ago, rpalmz46 said:

Yeah i figured but i just didnt think it really started to bottleneck until all cores were at 100%

sometimes games are not that well optimized to utilise 100% cpu, sometimes there are background processes etc. generally, if your cpu is above 80% and gpu below 80%, your cpu isn't strong enough. 

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

sometimes games are not that well optimized to utilise 100% cpu, sometimes there are background processes etc. generally, if your cpu is above 80% and gpu below 80%, your cpu isn't strong enough. 

Isn't it odd though if i lower all my settings to low i get a 50 fps increase i wouldnt have thought that would be the case if the cpu was causing the issue.

Don't expect a quad core with no HT to handle a 3080.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Yeah lol i just didn't want to immediately upgrade to a new cpu and mobo but i may sooner than i would have liked to since my mobo is starting to die anyway i think so. Not sure what i should get though

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Also 8600k isnt quad core it has 6 cores 

17 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Isn't it odd though if i lower all my settings to low i get a 50 fps increase i wouldnt have thought that would be the case if the cpu was causing the issue.

some settings have an impact on the cpu load as well.

one option for you would be to research and figure out which settings are cpu heavy and which are gpu heavy and reduce the cpu heavy settings only

18 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Yeah lol i just didn't want to immediately upgrade to a new cpu and mobo but i may sooner than i would have liked to since my mobo is starting to die anyway i think so. Not sure what i should get though

A Ryzen 5 3600 or a 3700X would perform nicely.

17 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Also 8600k isnt quad core it has 6 cores 

Still it lacks HT so it only has 6 threads compared to 12 of a Hyperthreaded 6 core CPU.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

16 minutes ago, Vishera said:

A Ryzen 5 3600 or a 3700X would perform nicely.

Still it lacks HT so it only has 6 threads compared to 12 of a Hyperthreaded 6 core CPU.

Yeah i think i may have to work with this for a while since its a massive upgrade regardless of some bottlenecking here and there, came from a 1070 and just spent 1200$ on the ventus msi one was thinking of upgrading to a ryzen chip or going intel 10700k but not sure 100% probably do that in the next 1-3 months ish.

Just now, rpalmz46 said:

1200$

You got ripped off...

That's $500 more than MSRP!

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

You got ripped off...

That's $500 more than MSRP!

No i did not im canadian thats just what we pay lol

Just now, rpalmz46 said:

No i did not im canadian thats just what we pay lol

It's still a ripoff.

1200 CAD = 900 USD,

That's 200 USD more than MSRP.

Just now, Vishera said:

It's still a ripoff.

1200 CAD = 900 USD,

That's 200 USD more than MSRP.

Well the conversion is weird when it comes to things because the day it went up on newegg.ca the price was 1049.99$ for the ventus in canadian dollar so you have to add tax onto that as well and it comes to 1185$ roughly.

I maybe total payed like 80$ more than an american would the card for you on newegg.com is 739$ which is 987$ cad and then tax is 0.13% which adds another 128$ to it making it 1115$. 

5 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Well the conversion is weird when it comes to things because the day it went up on newegg.ca the price was 1049.99$ for the ventus in canadian dollar so you have to add tax onto that as well and it comes to 1185$ roughly.

Well,In my country it's illegal to have a price tag without the VAT included.

So i am not used to things like that,but because of that we pay 719€ in total (without shipping of course) on the 3080.

Ah I see at least now overall is a good time for me to upgrade cpu in the coming bit since i think i remember seeing amd is going to be announcing new cpus if im not mistaken so ill see what's available then. Thanks for all your guys replies and help, i never realized that 70% cpu usage was bottlenecking for some reason was under the impression it was only at 100%.